D&D 5E The Most Popular D&D Classes & Subclasses

D&D Beyond posted these stats on the most popular D&D subclasses by class based on the "high thirties" in millions of characters on the platform. This is a revisit from last year, with updated data, and only includes single-classed characters.

Fighter is the most-played class (as has always been the case with these stats), followed by rogues, warlocks, clerics, and wizards.

The 'free' (SRD) subclasses are the most popular subclasses on D&D Beyond, which is no surprise.

subclass.jpg

Hussar

Legend
Is it just me, or is the spread between classes much closer now? I seem to remember that fighter used to be far more popular relative to the other classes. It's still most popular, but, not by a heck of a lot, and, if you take out fighter and rogue, everyone else is pretty much dead even.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Fiend is in the SRD too.

These numbers are always interesting, but I hesitate to draw too many conclusions from then. They only reflect D&D Beyond users, after all, and many of us have still never even used it.
The weakness isn't the numbers -- you don't need that many to get a significant statistical sample, and this is 30M(!) -- it's more (a) the cutoff between free and paid items; and (b) which of these are being played and which are just experimental builds. For example, when they did a by-level comparison, there was a big bump in 20th level characters, which in all likelihood didn't mean that a large percentage were playing Tier 4 games, but that people liked to make experimental level 20 builds on the platform, partly to plan out their advancement.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases