D&D 5E The Most Popular D&D Classes & Subclasses

D&D Beyond posted these stats on the most popular D&D subclasses by class based on the "high thirties" in millions of characters on the platform. This is a revisit from last year, with updated data, and only includes single-classed characters.

Fighter is the most-played class (as has always been the case with these stats), followed by rogues, warlocks, clerics, and wizards.

The 'free' (SRD) subclasses are the most popular subclasses on D&D Beyond, which is no surprise.

subclass.jpg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
RE: Mundane barbarians

Well, AimE has at least 2 good archetypes of non-magical barbarian: the rider (aka the rohirim) and the foehammer (armored barbarian). To that I'd add an unarmed one, a dual-wielding one and maybe a leader-y barb.
Rohirrim I’d definitely make a fighter. I can’t imagine it as a Barbarian at all. Foehammer...I guess. What makes it different from other barbarians?

I’d need more story than a fighting style for a subclass, personally.

For me, that pretty much leaves a leadery Barbarian. Could be mundane, could be Bardish with a magic aura of inspiration while raging.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Rohirrim I’d definitely make a fighter. I can’t imagine it as a Barbarian at all. Foehammer...I guess. What makes it different from other barbarians?

For me, that pretty much leaves a leadery Barbarian. Could be mundane, could be Bardish with a magic aura of inspiration while raging.
Rohirrim is a bad example as they weren't that wild.

But a barbarian rider could work like ASOIAF's Dothraki, WHFB Marauder Horsemen, M&B's Khergit. "Barbaric" horseman is a common fantasy trope.

wizard71

Explorer
I love this survey because a common post o. This and other forums is how the Champion Fighter is SO underpowered and unfun to play that the class should be erased. The champion fighter is the most popular subclass of the most popular class. Goes to show what forum posters know

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix

Hey, tell that to Cubicle 7, but when you look at the archetype on paper, it works. Also note, there's no ''barbarian'' in AiMe, the class is called Slayer and it removes the more animalistic/wilderness theme of the barbarian.

The foe-hammer can benefit from Rage while wearing heavy armor (and gets to add their dex bonus to heavy armor, which is OP as hell and wouldnt port to regular 5e). IIRC, the archetypes can use a BA to bash enemies with their armored fist while raging, can auto-crit X/long rest and can break shield and armor by sundering their weapon. Think like ASOIAF's the Mountain had a baby with 4e Essentials's Slayer.

The rider has a damage bonus when charging or when mounted. It also has bonus with thrown weapon, dealing max damage when rolling with advantage and ignoring long range if mounted. At higher level, they can sound their horn to share the bonus from rage and reckless attack with their party for a round and have the same Intimidating Presence as the PHB Berserker.

For the Thane barbarian (leader), I'd go with the shou-ty archetype. Use war cries to boost allies and debuff enemies.

For the Hurricane (dual-wielding barb), I'd take Mearl's idea for ranger correction from Happy Fun Hour, mainly its new weapon style, Whirling Blade.

''When you engage in two-weapon fighting while wearing light or no armor, you do not expend your bonus action and add your ability modifier to the second attack. You can still gain the benefits of two-weapon fighting once during your turn. ''

Maybe add a somekind of ''attack on the run'' feature where you can attack every creature within X once without triggering AoO as long a you hit X per day, like a martial version of Chaos Bolt. If you go the with the Dervish theme you could also add fire and heat resistance or stuff like that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

I could see a "Sword-Saint" Ronin type for the Barbarian, who is entering a Zen trance for the"Rage" feature.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
For the Thane barbarian (leader), I'd go with the shou-ty archetype. Use war cries to boost allies and debuff enemies.

I think a whole "nonmagical" shout subsystem would be a great addition for the barbarian.

Another idea is to steal the Calm Fury path from 4e: a barbarian who understands rage completely and can channel all their rage into single decisive strikes.
Basically bringing back Rage Strike.

I love this survey because a common post o. This and other forums is how the Champion Fighter is SO underpowered and unfun to play that the class should be erased. The champion fighter is the most popular subclass of the most popular class. Goes to show what forum posters know

The two don't exactly conflict.

Champion fighter is a favorite of new players, hardcore "roleplayers", and players with very accepting DMs.

Forums tilt to veteran players and fans of mechanics.

doctorbadwolf

Hey, tell that to Cubicle 7, but when you look at the archetype on paper, it works. Also note, there's no ''barbarian'' in AiMe, the class is called Slayer and it removes the more animalistic/wilderness theme of the barbarian.

The foe-hammer can benefit from Rage while wearing heavy armor (and gets to add their dex bonus to heavy armor, which is OP as hell and wouldnt port to regular 5e). IIRC, the archetypes can use a BA to bash enemies with their armored fist while raging, can auto-crit X/long rest and can break shield and armor by sundering their weapon. Think like ASOIAF's the Mountain had a baby with 4e Essentials's Slayer.

The rider has a damage bonus when charging or when mounted. It also has bonus with thrown weapon, dealing max damage when rolling with advantage and ignoring long range if mounted. At higher level, they can sound their horn to share the bonus from rage and reckless attack with their party for a round and have the same Intimidating Presence as the PHB Berserker.

For the Hurricane (dual-wielding barb), I'd take Mearl's idea for ranger correction from Happy Fun Hour, mainly its new weapon style, Whirling Blade.

''When you engage in two-weapon fighting while wearing light or no armor, you do not expend your bonus action and add your ability modifier to the second attack. You can still gain the benefits of two-weapon fighting once during your turn. ''

Maybe add a somekind of ''attack on the run'' feature where you can attack every creature within X once without triggering AoO as long a you hit X per day, like a martial version of Chaos Bolt. If you go the with the Dervish theme you could also add fire and heat resistance or stuff like that.
So, I’m familiar with AiME, and I disagree with their decision to make the Rider a Barbarian cognate.

Your Thaneborn sounds fun, but definitely doesn’t sound mundane to me.

The dervish could be, but I think it’s a missed opportunity to not make them at least a little divine.

doctorbadwolf

It's the barbarian version of the Battlemaster. Except the only maneuvers are "Charge!", "Kill Them!", "Crush Them!" "ROOOOOOOAAAAR!" and "(Unintelligible)"

"Kill Them!" gives your allies sweet damage bonuses.
Now it doesn’t sound as interesting to me, but who knows maybe it would be totally rad.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases