The Mourning After (Horror) (IC)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
More familiar with the layout of the safehouse, Lahzaris sighed' and led the way toward the back door, saying "This way. Quickly."

'(He had no desire to die, but he had no desire for much of anything. If the dogs broke in and started mauling people, he just might feel something - Fear? Worry? Excitement? He had no idea.)
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
As the Hounds’ eyes light up with arcane energies, Lahzaris leads the party out into the backyard. The Hounds magic knocks the door open. In response, Vesile tips the table in front of the hallway leading to the back exit, as everyone runs for safety.

GM: OK then, it sounds like the situation is shifting to a chase!
Thanks to the logistics of having a fence on the back of the house, after you clear the first hurdle, you will have a decent head start on the hounds.

First complication: Hopping the fence. Make a DC 10 acrobatics check. Failure: 1d4 piercing damage from the twisted wire on top of the fence.

Also, the first to post roll me a d20, for more complications.

Some quick rules reminders, mostly so I can keep track of them.

Dashing.
During the chase, a participant can freely use the Dash action a number of times equal to 3 + its Constitution modifier. Each additional Dash action it takes during the chase requires the creature to succeed on a DC 10 Constitution check at the end of its turn or gain one level of exhaustion.

A participant drops out of the chase if its exhaustion reaches level 5, since its speed becomes 0. A creature can remove the levels of exhaustion it gained during the chase by finishing a short or long rest.

HOUNDS Round 2.png

Your goals are to either tire the hounds out, or break their LoS and hide successfully. The Party currently has a collective 100' lead on the hounds.

Vadalis Tracking Hound x4
Armor Class, Speed 40, Con +1 13, HP 11/11, passive Perception 13

Vesile: Speed 30, Con +1 AC 14, HP ??, Passive Perception: 13,
Len: Speed 30, Con +0 AC 12, HP ??, Passive Perception 12

Lazharis. Speed 30, Con +1 AC: 14, HP: 9/9, Passive Perception: 14
Maladiel. Speed 30, Con +1 AC: 12, HP: 7/7, Passive Perception: 14, Spells: 2/2. FBTG: 1/1.
Malix. Speed 30, Con +2 AC: 17, HP: 8/10, Passive Perception: 15,
Xian. Speed 30, Con +1 AC: 13, HP: 7/9, Passive Perception: 13, Spells: 1/2 + D, BI: 3/3
Ozzar. Speed 25, Con +2 AC 16: HP: 11/13, Passive Perception: 13, Initiative: 10?, SW: 1/1.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Maladiel jumps over the fence, although he overestimates his nimbleness. Tripping over the twisted wire on the top, he falls to his face painfully.

Not worrying about it too much for the moment, the half-elf quickly gets to his feet and starts running towards the nearest alleyway.

OOC: Acrobatics roll: 1D20 = [8] = 8 (fail)
1D4 = [2] = 2 piercing damage

Complications roll: 1D20 = [15] = 15


Move to the alley to the north-northeast.

Maladiel. Speed 30, Con +1 AC: 12, HP: 5/7, Passive Perception: 14, Spells: 2/2. FBTG: 1/1.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"They will try to divide us, so do your best to stay together!" warned Lahzaris. After everyone was out of the building, he took the time to shut the back door. Eventually he made for the fence. His ordeal in the mists had left him scrawny and weak. He recalled having once been fit, happy, and in love. Now a distant memory that held no emotion for him. Even the loss of it all did not make him feel sad, which troubled him in a intellectual way.

His thin, pale arms could barely lift his light weight as he climbed over the fence, catching himself on a sharp piece. He didn't notice the wound until much later.

OOC: He'll also block or lock the back door, if he can find a way to do that.
Investigation Check: 1D20+4 = [16]+4 = 20
Athletics Check: 1D20-1 = [8]-1 = 7
Damage: 1d4 = [3] = 3
 

Hades#2

Explorer
Xian

Xian watches the others attempt to leap the fence. He runs right behind them to stay ahead of the hounds. As he closes on the fence his legs push off the ground, hurtling his body upwards and forwards. He barely clears the fence. Whatever House Vadalis did to him must have affected him more than he thought.

Xian quickly helps any fallen comrades to their feet before dashing after Maladiel.


Ooc: Acrobatics check:. 1d20+2: 11 [1d20=9]. Dice Roller • Orokos.com
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.

MetaVoid

Adventurer
OOC: I would prefer the athletics :) Sorry for the delay, tourist season is a busy one for me

Being shorter than most of his companion and relatively heavily armored, Ozzar didn't like his odds as he ran toward the fence. But seeing a friendly dwarf risking his own life to help him gave him a confidence boost. Also, a prospect of being eaten by those dogs gave him some extra speed.

He vaulted the fence using his weapon to hook the top and simply pulling himself up aided by full speed run. He only needed to jump a bit sideways so his legs clear the obstacle and the shield slid over the spikes threatening to injure him.

"Come on, Malix! Get over here!"
With some relief he noted Malix had no problem following him as he dashed into the streets after the rest of the group.

Move: to the fence Acrobatics; with help: 1d20 = [16] = 16 1d20 = [6] = 6
Action: Dash 1/3

Complications: 1d20 = [1] = 1 - let's hope this is good :(
 
Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Release the Hounds! Round 2.

Lazharis props a plank up against the door, a weak latch, but better than nothing.
The party makes it over the fence, with little trouble.
Vesile barely makes it over the top by herself, but Len is also mangled by the barbs (bloody)
The hounds break past the barriers, find themselves on the other side of the fence, and bolt back inside the building. As they scramble outside, one of them trips on a puddle.

As the party flees, they come across a drunk who has clearly been day-drinking away his problems and flailing about in the street.

GM: Make a DC 10 Strength (Athletics), Dexterity (Acrobatics), or Charisma (Intimidation) check (your choice) to slip past him. On a failed check, the drunk counts as 10 feet of difficult terrain.

And don't forget to roll for complications!

Actions:
Two of the hounds used their actions to break down the barriers, the other two hounds are dashing.

Current Distance:

Added distance, 30, Ozzar gained 50
The Closest hounds gained 5’
The other 2 hounds are 40’ behind them, one of them is prone.

Ozzar: 145’
Other Party: 130’
Far hounds: -40’

Vadalis Tracking Hound x4
Armor Class, Speed 40, Con +1 13, HP 11/11, passive Perception 13

Vesile: Speed 30, Con +1 AC 14, HP ??, Passive Perception: 13,
Len: Speed 30, Con +0 AC 12, HP ??, Passive Perception 12 (bloody)

Lazharis. Speed 30, Con +1 AC: 14, HP: 6/9, Passive Perception: 14,
Maladiel. Speed 30, Con +1 AC: 12, HP: 5/7, Passive Perception: 14, Spells: 2/2. FBTG: 1/1.
Malix. Speed 30, Con +2 AC: 17, HP: 8/10, Passive Perception: 15,
Xian. Speed 30, Con +1 AC: 13, HP: 7/9, Passive Perception: 13, Spells: 1/2 + D, BI: 3/3
Ozzar. Speed 25, Con +2 AC 16: HP: 11/13, Passive Perception: 13, Initiative: 10?, SW: 1/1.

Dashes used:
Hound A, 1/4
Hound B, 1/4

Ozzar, 1/5

 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Get of of the way, you fool!" shouted Lahzaris at the drunkard, "And get out of sight, or the Hounds might take you."

He picked up the pace, trying to get to the front in case these strange newcomers did not know the way.

OOC: Intimidation Check: 1D20+4 = [17]+4 = 21. How do we roll for complications?
 




MetaVoid

Adventurer
Ozzar saw the drunk and simply raised his shield and attempted to bull through the man. Unfortunately, those in front of him moved the drunk just a bit aside and instead of full on collision, Ozzar glanced off the man and slammed into the rain collection barrel near the wall arresting his momentum completely.

Stunned for a moment, he watches as the group sprints by. He then takes after them, exerting just a little more than he planned


Athletics; Complications: 1d20+5 = [1] +5 = 6; 1d20 = [1] = 1
ARGH! I had natural 1 for complication last time, now two in a row. WTF!?

DASH (2/3)
 
Last edited:


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"I'm contagious! Out of my way!" Maladiel shouts his lies as natural as taking a breath, unsure of whether the drunkard will even understand him. Surely, the man takes an unsteady step away from him, although that means Ozzar's plan doesn't go quite according to plan.

Hearing the dwarf crash into a barrel behind him, Mal yells "sorry!" but keeps running.

OOC: intimidation: 1D20+5 = [6]+5 = 11

Apologies for my absence!

Edit: Do we each roll for complications, or just the first one to post?
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Release the Hounds! Round Three.

Lazharis, Xian, Malix, and Maladiel manage to dodge the drunk. While Ozzar slams right into him, before correcting course. The drunk careens into Len, knocking him over.

An explosion happens behind you. “Hah! Took that long enough!” Vesile laughs. You have lost sight of two dogs, the remaining two are still barking after you.

Suddenly, the alley turns hard left, it looks like this way was boarded off for repairs recently.

GM: Everyone should roll for complications, it will speed this up, one way or the other!

DC 10 DEX save or smash into the wall for 1d4 damage. Once you are past the wall, you can attempt a Stealth check to hide!

Added distances:

The party gained 30'
Malix gained 60'
Len gained 20'

The closest hounds gained 80’

Ozzar: 95’
Malix 80’
Main Party: 50’
Len 30’
Near hounds 0
Far hounds: ?

Vadalis Tracking Hound x4
Armor Class, Speed 40, Con +1 13, HP 11/11, passive Perception 13

Vesile: Speed 30, Con +1 AC 14, HP ??, Passive Perception: 13,
Len: Speed 30, Con +0 AC 12, HP ??, Passive Perception 12 (bloody, Prone)

Lazharis. Speed 30, Con +1 AC: 14, HP: 6/9, Passive Perception: 14,
Maladiel. Speed 30, Con +1 AC: 12, HP: 5/7, Passive Perception: 14, Spells: 2/2. FBTG: 1/1.
Malix. Speed 30, Con +2 AC: 17, HP: 8/10, Passive Perception: 15,
Xian. Speed 30, Con +1 AC: 13, HP: 7/9, Passive Perception: 13, Spells: 1/2 + D, BI: 3/3
Ozzar. Speed 25, Con +2 AC 16: HP: 11/13, Passive Perception: 13, Initiative: 10?, SW: 1/1.

Dashes used:
Hound A, 2/4
Hound B, 2/4

Ozzar, 2/5
Malix 1/5
Len 1/3 [/stats]
 
Last edited:


Hades#2

Explorer
Xian

Who would have predicted that some day he would be running away from magebred hounds. It was perhaps this errant thought that caused him to miscalculate his trajectory and hit the wall.


Ooc: Dex save 1d20+4: 9 [1d20=5]. Damage:

1d4: 4 [1d4=4]. HP now down to 3. Stealth to hide: 1d20+2: 22 [1d20=20]. Complication roll:1d20: 9 [1d20=9]
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.

MetaVoid

Adventurer
Ozzar makes up for the lost time and has enough time to plan the sudden turn. He goes on the right of the alley and turns sharply, but not impossibly so. His low center of gravity helps and he simply bounds further into the side-alley and calms his breathing.

He is surprisingly good at stealth, one skill maybe perfected during stake-outs?

 

Dungeon Delver's Guide

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top