D&D 5E The Multiverse is back....

pemerton

Legend
The Great Wheel is a war of immutable symmetric philosophies. The philosophies are opposed - but due to the symmetry of the wheel, Balance Is King.

<snip>

In Great Wheel settings, Gods represent their philosophies and those philosophies must be upheld by the God.

<snip>

If Balance is King (as it explicitly is) then good is pointless. If you do good and Balance is King then there's an equal amount of evil to balance it out. If I set up an orphanage and save two dozen orphans that would be a good act. An equal amount of evil would happen in order to balance it out. And my actions have made that act necessary. Which means that in the grand scheme of things my actions haven't done any good.

<snip>

On the other hand I can do evil freely. If I launch a campaign of looting and pillaging I'm having fun and getting rich. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that somewhere someone else is creating an orphanage that's cancelling out my evil. I'm having fun and getting rich.
This is why I tend to regard Planescape as an ultimately nihilistic setting.

Must spread around xp, etc, but I just have to say, PREACH IT, brother!
XP covered.

pemerton

Legend
are the 4e Primordials personalities and behaviors more central to play than their cosmological identity in your campaign?
They are more important to them as monsters, yes. Imix, Yan-C-Bin, etc have histories and resonance in the game that predate, and extend well beyond, the 4e cosmology.

And there can be evil/amoral creator gods without the particular 4e set-up of Astral Plane, mortal world and Elemental Chaos.

The Raven Queen could be used in a game, as the good of death and fate, without using the Shadowfell. For instance, you could move Letherna to one of the poles of the mortal world, and the streams of souls flying there would be the Milky Way and St Elmo's fire.

what is the point of the different cosmological framing? If a unicorn is a unicorn is a unicorn regardless of it's origin, creature type, habitat, etc... what was the point of changing it?
Because the games use different cosmologies, both for reasons of flavour and of stakes.

In my last Oriental Adventures campaign, unicorns were celestial beings, members of the Celstial Bureaucracy. That game had no Feywild or Faerie - nature spirits live in the mortal world (in D&D terms, they live in "pocket dimensions" associated with their respective natural phenomena) and are also accountable to the Celestial Bureaucracy.

This different flavour supports different stakes in the campaign. In this particular case, those stakes ended up including ancient pacts reached between Heaven and the Lords of Karma.

So what did him being the "August Star of Heaven" mean? Was it intrinsic to his nature in the campaign world? And if not, why even bother assigning him a title?
It means that he is the son of Tou Mu, the chaotic god of the North Star, and that he has a place in her schemes, and in the series of unfolding events that are central to the campaign.

I'm asking what makes his unicorns distinct if they are the same with a different origin slapped on
I'm not sure they are distinct. That was my point - that what makes unicorns, or Graz'zt, distinct is not the plane they come from. So changing that plane doesn't ultimately change their character as monsters/NPCs.

Somewhat similarly, many of the same stories can be set in different "worlds" - Westerns, space operas, feudal Japan, Kung Fu fighting china, etc.

EDIT Though I am curious, [MENTION=1288]Mouseferatu[/MENTION] ... above you've picked something that is readily apparent but if the only thing you are changing is the origin of the blue dragon, say he comes from the plane of lightning... but everything else is (mechanics, appearance, etc.) is the same... how does that impact play?

If all the DM wants is a big monster at the end of the dungeon, it doesn't. But it provides a different variety of games you could easily build around the dragon. Also, I'd be inclined to have them behave differently. If the dragon is extra-planar, does it want the same things? Live in the same sort of lair? What does this say about other dragon types? What does it say about Tiamat? And so forth.

E

Elderbrain

True, but, by and large, the Greyhawk references are largely contained in proper nouns and don't really refer to anything else. For example, Fraz Urb'luu isn't mentioned in the core books AFAIK, which means he's in supplements, where I'm MUCH more flexible about references. Sure, the Eye and Hand of Vecna is in the DMG, although now Vecna is a god, which already departs from Greyhawk quite a bit anyway. But, we're talking about an artefact here. It's not like it's going to be appearing in many campaigns. It's pretty easy to ignore.

Try ignoring every single extra planar creatures that's intelligent and was mentioned in 2e Planescape. Every single one of them gets shoehorned into their Planescape iterations and no variation, other than variations that occurred in the Planescape setting material, is allowed. Modrons, for example, have varied over time, true, but, only through Planescape canon. If I want to buy a supplement about Modrons or Mechanus, it will always be 100% PS compatible. That's certainly not true of other creatures. I can buy all sorts of supplements for orcs that range from barely sentient beast men to highly advanced warrior races.

But your example is rather extreme don't you think? Changing a succubus from a demon to a devil is hardly on the same level as deciding that the most iconic undead monster in the game is suddenly not undead.

Hussar, the Fraz Ur'blu and Grazz't entries that mentioned Greyhawk events were in the AD&D 1st edition MMII. Does that somehow not count as a core rulebook for you, especially since it contains the original Daemon/Yugoloths entries you are trying to protect from having material added to...? I don't understand... :confused: Also, succubus were demons in 1e, the same 1e lore you seem to want to preserve from any additions when it comes to
Yugoloths and demon/devil relations. So... Yugoloths being more than simple mercenaries is too much for you, as is the thought of demons and devils being at war, yet you don't bat an eye at a demon being turned into a devil?!?
Heck, according to 1e, the Devils were all plotting against each other to become top dog, and likewise any demon lord would happily slay another... yet demons and devils hating each other was too much of a stretch, when neither type of fiend could get along with those of his own kind?!? If a demon Lord would stab Demogorgon in the back to be Prince of the Abyss, how you think he's gonna treat devils? Hand out gifts?

Last edited:

E

Elderbrain

I'm gonna call shenanigans on this unless you can give me at least the Planescape book that talks about all that (don't even have to give me a page).

I've been running Planescape for years and years, and that is simply not accurate. There's no great magic that detects some good was done here, so more evil has to happen here. In fact, the Planes can shift so much due to belief that you can affect the world on a real, physical, level. Layers can shift between planes, gatetowns can fall into planes, these things are shifts in philosophy and reality on grand scales that change the nature of the Multiverse itself. And PCs can effect these and even greater changes if they have the knowledge, the power, and the belief to do so. That is what Planescape is about, even when the Great Wheel is involved.

But, yeah, if you can tell me where I can find a passage that says good causes evil, I'm all ears.

- I second that. While there is a certain amount of equilibrium and balancing of forces on the Great Wheel and in Planescape, that doesn't mean that the writers are personally advocating that good and evil are morally equivalent, nor does it mean that one force or the other can never someday overcome the other. The problem is that if they actually published an adventure where the forces of good finally permanently defeated the forces of evil, that'd be the end of the adventures. There's nothing stopping any Planescape DM from running his own campaign where the heroes find a way to finish evil once and for all, anymore than in the World Axis cosmology. (You will notice that evil was never defeated in a final battle in the World Axis, either? Same reason - an end of conflict means the end of the game.)

pemerton

Legend
if every unicorn regardless of it's origin has the same power, abilities, form and personality does it matter on a practical level whether it comes from a glade on the prime material plane or a grove on the Feywild or a cave in the Shadowfell?
Are you talking about unicorns with multiple origins within a given campaign, or across campaigns?

Within a given campaign I would generally want unicorns to have a common origin - part of how you know what the Feywild is about, for instance, is that unicorns come from it!

But across campaigns it's not the same at all. If I want to convey what a given cosmological element is about, I generally do that by drawing on the NPCs and monsters that are found there. For instance, you can quickly communicate something about the Shadowfell to someone familiar with modern fantasy tropes by telling them that it is the place that ghosts, wraiths etc come from. But this doesn't mean you're changing the mechanics of ghosts or wraiths.

I'd argue mechanically we've already established it doesn't since they don't change and thus how does it's thematics matter with no mechanics to back them up? i mean isn't this why most 4e fans love their 4e monsters?
to see someone who is known for making statements about how important mechanical backup is to thematics then state he uses the same unicorn irregardless of such is interesting
The theme of a unicorn isn't where it's from. As per the earlier part of this post, the relationship is actually a reverse one: the fact that we know what a unicorn is, or a pixie, is what then lets us work out what the Feywild is about when we are told that it is the home of unicorns and pixies.

Lots of D&D thematics have no mechanical backup, but are still important for story/RP reasons.
This is true too. For many monsters - eg ghosts and wraiths, to recycle an example from upthread - you don't need to change their mechanics to indicate whether or not they are from the Shadowfell or just the mortal world. Placing them on the Shadowfell isn't (typically) about changing the way they play when encountered - it's about changing, in some way, the broader significance of an encounter with them, by changing the backstory that accompanies them.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
- I second that. While there is a certain amount of equilibrium and balancing of forces on the Great Wheel and in Planescape, that doesn't mean that the writers are personally advocating that good and evil are morally equivalent, nor does it mean that one force or the other can never someday overcome the other. The problem is that if they actually published an adventure where the forces of good finally permanently defeated the forces of evil, that'd be the end of the adventures. There's nothing stopping any Planescape DM from running his own campaign where the heroes find a way to finish evil once and for all, anymore than in the World Axis cosmology. (You will notice that evil was never defeated in a final battle in the World Axis, either? Same reason - an end of conflict means the end of the game.)

All of the above.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
I'm gonna call shenanigans on this unless you can give me at least the Planescape book that talks about all that (don't even have to give me a page).

I've been running Planescape for years and years, and that is simply not accurate. There's no great magic that detects some good was done here, so more evil has to happen here. In fact, the Planes can shift so much due to belief that you can affect the world on a real, physical, level. Layers can shift between planes, gatetowns can fall into planes, these things are shifts in philosophy and reality on grand scales that change the nature of the Multiverse itself. And PCs can effect these and even greater changes if they have the knowledge, the power, and the belief to do so. That is what Planescape is about, even when the Great Wheel is involved.

This is correct, in my ongoing Planescape campaign of 9 years, there is a growing chance that part of Tir Na Og in the Outlands and Bedlam might be sucked into Pandemonium. The Rilmani are not pleased.

Imaro

Legend
But across campaigns it's not the same at all. If I want to convey what a given cosmological element is about, I generally do that by drawing on the NPCs and monsters that are found there. For instance, you can quickly communicate something about the Shadowfell to someone familiar with modern fantasy tropes by telling them that it is the place that ghosts, wraiths etc come from. But this doesn't mean you're changing the mechanics of ghosts or wraiths.

But doesn't this go both ways? Don't you also communicate something about these ghosts and wraiths by making them come from the Shadowfell as opposed to the Feywild? These places are already defined (that's kind of the point of a cosmology)... it's like saying the people in America define America... well yeah they do to a point... but having been a part of America in turn defines and differentiates them also.

The theme of a unicorn isn't where it's from. As per the earlier part of this post, the relationship is actually a reverse one: the fact that we know what a unicorn is, or a pixie, is what then lets us work out what the Feywild is about when we are told that it is the home of unicorns and pixies.

Again this seems to be more rooted in how you look at things than in an objective way of defining things. If I say this Unicorn is from the Shadowfell it is going to be different from a Unicorn spawned on the Feywild in nature, mechanics and personality. All of these things will be informed by where it originates from. However the Shadowfell is not going to change because I put unicorns in it... they will just be Shadowfell unicorns.

Imaro

Legend
[MENTION=87792]Neonchameleon[/MENTION] ... as a fan of Planescape I'm going to have to agree with the others here as far as your take on the setting.

Remove ads