D&D 5E The New D&D Book: Tasha's Cauldron of Everything!

The new D&D book has been revealed, and it is Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, "a magical mixture of rules options for the world's greatest roleplaying game." The 192-page book is due out November 17th, with standard and alternate covers, and contains more subclasses, spells, character options, group patrons, and rules. Oh, and psionics! Cover art is by Magali Villeneuve WHAT WONDERFUL...

tashacover.jpg

The new D&D book has been revealed, and it is Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, "a magical mixture of rules options for the world's greatest roleplaying game." The 192-page book is due out November 17th, with standard and alternate covers, and contains more subclasses, spells, character options, group patrons, and rules. Oh, and psionics!

tasha.png

Cover art is by Magali Villeneuve

WHAT WONDERFUL WITCHERY IS THIS?

A magical mixture of rules options for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

The wizard Tasha, whose great works include the spell Tasha’s hideous laughter, has gathered bits and bobs of precious lore during her illustrious career as an adventurer. Her enemies wouldn’t want these treasured secrets scattered across the multiverse, so in defiance, she has collected and codified these tidbits for the enrichment of all.
  • EXPANDED SUBCLASSES. Try out subclass options for every Dungeons & Dragons class, including the artificer, which appears in the book.
  • MORE CHARACTER OPTIONS. Delve into a collection of new class features and new feats, and customize your character’s origin using straightforward rules for modifying a character’s racial traits.
  • INTRODUCING GROUP PATRONS. Whether you're part of the same criminal syndicate or working for an ancient dragon, each group patron option comes with its own perks and types of assignments.
  • SPELLS, ARTIFACTS & MAGIC TATTOOS. Discover more spells, as well as magic tattoos, artifacts, and other magic items for your campaign.
  • EXPANDED RULES OPTIONS. Try out rules for sidekicks, supernatural environments, natural hazards, and parleying with monsters, and gain guidance on running a session zero.
  • A PLETHORA OF PUZZLES. Ready to be dropped into any D&D adventure, puzzles of varied difficulty await your adventurers, complete with traps and guidance on using the puzzles in a campaign.
Full of expanded content for players and Dungeon Masters alike, this book is a great addition to the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Baked in you'll find more rule options for all the character classes in the Player's Handbook, including more subclass options. Thrown in for good measure is the artificer class, a master of magical invention. And this witch's brew wouldn't be complete without a dash of added artifacts, spellbook options, spells for both player characters and monsters, magical tattoos, group patrons, and other tasty goodies.

Here's the alternate cover:

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 4.07.15 PM.png

UPDATE! An online event called D&D Celebration from September 18th-20th will be hosted by Elle Osili-Wood, which is "an epic live event with panels, gameplay, & previews of the book!" See the video in the Tweet below!

Gather your party and join the adventure at  D&D Celebration 2020, an online gaming event open to fans all over the world!

Celebrate the release of  Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden  with a weekend of Icewind Dale–themed virtual play sessions and help us create the biggest virtual tabletop roleplaying game event ever! Fans will also get the chance to preview some content from  Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything, the forthcoming book featuring massive rules options, subclasses, and more for the fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Watch featured play sessions with D&D luminaries and learn something new with a slate of panels led by the D&D design team and community.

UPDATE! Check out the Nerdarchy site for some previews.

tcoe-eldritch-storms.jpg

Chapter-1-Opener-Tasha-and-Baba-Yaga-scaled.jpg

UPDATE! Other news items around the web about this book:

The Glen

Legend
Mystara is definitely a setting they should just let people work with on DMs Guild. Then he could do what Keith Baker and Ed Greenwood are doing and do quasi-official new stuff. Very few people who care about Mystara would view Heard's take as anything other than official.
Bruce has washed his hands of 5E Mystara after he approached Wizards, its still his baby but he doesn't have any interest in 5e. However there are several others that have been working on updating it or at least keeping it relevant. It's sad to see how it's considered a second-tier setting considering in terms of product it was only behind Forgotten Realms in content. It's also extremely popular in Europe because it was one of the first settings introduced there in translations. It's still have a large fan base with Vaults of Pandius, the Piazza, Welcome to Mystara and Mystara Reborn being constantly updated.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
Anything that is just a free add on is trouble...

I love the add on to sorcerer so they can do other things with sorcerers pts. I kinda like some of the spell add ins too. However there WILL be DMs who play with them, DMs who play with some but not all, and DMs who say no to all of them...

If there is a enough of a split in those 3 it WILL cause issues. Every time a player sits down expecting to use them and the DM says no it will be a minor issue. However here online and discussing at cons there will be arguments about what tables do and don’t use... we will need a short hand and it MAY be major enough for it to be “well I play 5.5” and I think Wizards wants to avoid that...

Dausuul

Legend
That is a fair question, and under any other circumstances, I'd agree, but from what I've seen the leadership team on the D&D RPG side is fantastically incompetent.

<long list of things that WotC supposedly shoulda done differently>

So yes, superficially it might sound like a conspiracy theory, but all available evidence indicates that they really are that clueless and as such, it becomes very plausible that they really don't have any idea why the 4th edition books didn't sell.
Obviously they screwed up with 4E. However, "all available evidence" is that 5E is selling like gangbusters, while M:tG has been a cash cow for decades and remains so today. Claiming they should have made different business decisions post-4E is opinion unsupported by evidence.

Undrave

Legend
I am still concerned about the class features enhancements (not the alternatives) to have the potential for creating a split in the gamers base, particularly if they are presented in the player's section of Tasha (most likely) instead of the dungeon master's section, Spell Versatility being the biggest offender. Player characters using enhancements cannot fairly coexist with those using PHB versions at the same table, so there will groups allowing the class enhancements and groups disallowing them. I would dare to say that using enhancement can be called playing 5.1. I am afraid I'll start seeing many cases of "I won't play with you unless you are (dis)allowing Tasha's enhancements", because they change the way a campaign is played in a VERY significant way.

I still think Spell Versatility is way over-valued around here. A lot of that kind of feature are there specifically to allow retraining out of mistakes without having to ask the DM for permission... it kinda defeats the purpose if you disallow it whole cloth instead of only raising concern if they become a problem.

Do your Cleric and Druids rework their ENTIRE SPELL LIST every day? I bet they don't... They stick to the same list every day, with maybe a few niche utility (like, say, Water Breathing) jotted down just in case. If that doesn't break your game, the Sorcerer being able to switch a spell they never use won't.

And if they play a Wild Sorcerer, changing one spell a day is staying in character ;)

The only character with outright enhancement is the Ranger, but that class needed it anyway and a lot of what they get slots in perfectly with the flavor of the Ranger so it's not a huge deal.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I dunno. That chicken foot brand/tattoo on her cheek doesn't exactly scream "kindergarten teacher" to me.
I don't know why so many people are making a big deal about Tasha. Nobody spent this much digital ink on Volo, Xanathar, or Mordenkainen. And her presence in the book won't be any more than their's, with the exception of a few spells.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I really hope they don't nerf the Rune Knight too much. It better not end up like another Arcane Archer where it only has Rune Knight ability for like 30 seconds a day. And also that they make it so you can put rune on other people's stuff too.

And I hope they made the Phantom more synergetic with the whole trinket thing, I thought that was the coolest part and should have been the core of it!

Anybody has some UA subclass they hope aren't too wildly changed?

I agree with the worries of the Rune Knight.

Too wildly changed? Stars Druid is one. I want it tweaked obviously, but it was solid. Beast barbarian was amazing, hope that just stays (I think some of the higher level stuff was rough, but it was generally solid)

Rygar

Explorer
This is not evidence, this is speculation and conjecture. Making claims it is evidence is partially what makes it sound like a conspiracy theory. I don't feel like I could have a rational discussion with you, so I will leave it there.

Its trivial to Google pretty much all of it. Making claims that events that are widely known and widely documented are"speculation and conjecture" makes it clear that you're entrenched in either blindly trusting a marketing department or you have some secondary motivation behind wanting the company's statements to be true.

The fact that you then state "I don't feel I can have a rational conversation with you" bears that out as that's a fairly common response when someone is aware their argument is going to fall apart under even slight debate.

Regardless, much like 4th editions collapse, at some point WOTC will be backed into a corner and have to show the real state of things. and you're going to have to deal with it.

Remove ads

Remove ads