D&D 5E The New D&D Book: Tasha's Cauldron of Everything!

The new D&D book has been revealed, and it is Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, "a magical mixture of rules options for the world's greatest roleplaying game." The 192-page book is due out November 17th, with standard and alternate covers, and contains more subclasses, spells, character options, group patrons, and rules. Oh, and psionics! Cover art is by Magali Villeneuve WHAT WONDERFUL...

tashacover.jpg

The new D&D book has been revealed, and it is Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, "a magical mixture of rules options for the world's greatest roleplaying game." The 192-page book is due out November 17th, with standard and alternate covers, and contains more subclasses, spells, character options, group patrons, and rules. Oh, and psionics!

tasha.png

Cover art is by Magali Villeneuve

WHAT WONDERFUL WITCHERY IS THIS?

A magical mixture of rules options for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

The wizard Tasha, whose great works include the spell Tasha’s hideous laughter, has gathered bits and bobs of precious lore during her illustrious career as an adventurer. Her enemies wouldn’t want these treasured secrets scattered across the multiverse, so in defiance, she has collected and codified these tidbits for the enrichment of all.
  • EXPANDED SUBCLASSES. Try out subclass options for every Dungeons & Dragons class, including the artificer, which appears in the book.
  • MORE CHARACTER OPTIONS. Delve into a collection of new class features and new feats, and customize your character’s origin using straightforward rules for modifying a character’s racial traits.
  • INTRODUCING GROUP PATRONS. Whether you're part of the same criminal syndicate or working for an ancient dragon, each group patron option comes with its own perks and types of assignments.
  • SPELLS, ARTIFACTS & MAGIC TATTOOS. Discover more spells, as well as magic tattoos, artifacts, and other magic items for your campaign.
  • EXPANDED RULES OPTIONS. Try out rules for sidekicks, supernatural environments, natural hazards, and parleying with monsters, and gain guidance on running a session zero.
  • A PLETHORA OF PUZZLES. Ready to be dropped into any D&D adventure, puzzles of varied difficulty await your adventurers, complete with traps and guidance on using the puzzles in a campaign.
Full of expanded content for players and Dungeon Masters alike, this book is a great addition to the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Baked in you'll find more rule options for all the character classes in the Player's Handbook, including more subclass options. Thrown in for good measure is the artificer class, a master of magical invention. And this witch's brew wouldn't be complete without a dash of added artifacts, spellbook options, spells for both player characters and monsters, magical tattoos, group patrons, and other tasty goodies.

Here's the alternate cover:

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 4.07.15 PM.png

UPDATE! An online event called D&D Celebration from September 18th-20th will be hosted by Elle Osili-Wood, which is "an epic live event with panels, gameplay, & previews of the book!" See the video in the Tweet below!

Gather your party and join the adventure at  D&D Celebration 2020, an online gaming event open to fans all over the world!

Celebrate the release of  Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden  with a weekend of Icewind Dale–themed virtual play sessions and help us create the biggest virtual tabletop roleplaying game event ever! Fans will also get the chance to preview some content from  Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything, the forthcoming book featuring massive rules options, subclasses, and more for the fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Watch featured play sessions with D&D luminaries and learn something new with a slate of panels led by the D&D design team and community.

UPDATE! Check out the Nerdarchy site for some previews.

tcoe-eldritch-storms.jpg

Chapter-1-Opener-Tasha-and-Baba-Yaga-scaled.jpg

UPDATE! Other news items around the web about this book:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Machete order is best order. Optionally you can follow VI up with VII and VIII, but I and the “A Star Wars Story” films are unnecessary (watch them separately as anthology films if you want) and IX is just bad.
I prefer to see the sequel trilogy as its own thing. It is too disjointed from everything -and itself-. And well, I wouldn't want to show anybody an incomplete thing -IX is bad, it is a manipulative film from beginning to end and I won't buy unless I find it for less than $5 on a discount bin as I did with VIII-. To me Solo and Rogue One make a bit more sense with the others, I'd probably wouldn't include Solo on a regular viewing, but Rogue One+ Ep IV indeed is teh starting point. I'm still a bit torn on episode I. I just love that movie.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I prefer to see the sequel trilogy as its own thing. It is too disjointed from everything -and itself-. And well, I wouldn't want to show anybody an incomplete thing
The thing is, machete order is a complete thing. It’s Luke’s story. Inserting II and III between V and VI as an extended flashback recontextualizes those films as backstory to Luke’s journey instead of its own separate journey. And unless you can get your hands on pre-special edition VHS tapes or the despecialized edition, that backstory is necessary to explain why Hayden Christensen shows up with the force ghosts at the end of VI. I gets skipped because nothing that happens in it is relevant to Luke’s story. But II and III very much are. They show how and why Anakin became Vader, in a way that parallels Luke’s own path and leaves the viewer wondering if Luke will make the same mistakes, which makes his appearance at the beginning of VI much more tense. It also puts two extra films between the Luke/Leia kiss and the sibling reveal, and makes the Emperor more of a character instead of a vague villainous force

Following VI up with VII and VIII is a bit more questionable. Both films can fit the “it’s Luke’s story” framework, with VII being centered around the goal of finding Luke and VIII showing Luke coming to terms with his own legacy and ending with him giving his life to inspire the next generation to fight back against the resurgent evil. But it also deconstructs Luke’s story as we see it in the preceding films, and leaves the conflict unresolved, which certainly won’t be for everyone. Personally, I like the bittersweet and somewhat uncertain but hopeful tone it gives the series overall and find it especially appropos to today’s social and political climate. But, I can easily see why folks might prefer the more unambiguously happy ending of VI.

-IX is bad, it is a manipulative film from beginning to end and I won't buy unless I find it for less than $5 on a discount bin as I did with VIII-.
Yeah. I hate that movie with a passion.

To me Solo and Rogue One make a bit more sense with the others, I'd probably wouldn't include Solo on a regular viewing, but Rogue One+ Ep IV indeed is teh starting point. I'm still a bit torn on episode I. I just love that movie.
I don’t think Rogue One is a good place to start the series. Like, at all. All the best parts of it rely on the audience already being familiar with the series. A newcomer to the series would miss out on so much that’s good about the film without that context. It also makes Vader’s introduction a terrible one-liner, which is a crime in my opinion.

Now, if you’re already a long-time fan, then Rogue One might be a great place to start a re-watch of the full series. But I would absolutely not choose it as the first film to show someone who had never seen Star Wars.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Why would you start with Rogue One? It's... not a very good movie, other than when it cashes in on the whole series nostalgia. Which, admittedly, is the entire back half of the film, which is fun as hell, but mostly that's because it the best example of Star Wars finally giving us a star war, and I don't think you get as much out of that without prior investment in the universe.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Why would you start with Rogue One? It's... not a very good movie, other than when it cashes in on the whole series nostalgia. Which, admittedly, is the entire back half of the film, which is fun as hell, but mostly that's because it the best example of Star Wars finally giving us a star war, and I don't think you get as much out of that without prior investment in the universe.
Exactly. Again, if you’re already a big fan, it’s a fine place to start a series re-watch, but it’s a terrible place to start watching the series for the first time.

I hope some of the new Class options include a fighting style that give them 2 cantrips at level 1. Tha would not be too far fetched considering that the paladin and the range both get such an option. Of course, the fighter does not benefit as much, since they get cantrips anyway, but it would really help making an eldritch knight feel like one from level 1. Probably an option that allows them to blend magic and swordfighting from level 1 would be even better, but we´ll see what we get. I also hope, that the fighter gets some warlordy fighting style (although you could argue just taking the battlemaster maneuver as fighting style and taking one of the "warlordy" maneuvers might do the trick too.

I also would love to see the bladesing be a little more refined. The class is almost what you would expect but it suffers from the "rangeritis"*, namely abilities that exclude each other (SCAG cantrips and multiattack).

*the ranger´s dual wielding conflicts with so much... beastmaster level 7 ability, hunter´s mark, level 11 multiattack ability....

What I would really love to see, but probably won´t would be just a simple sidebar that tells us: "A ranger may use downtime to retrain favoured foes and terrains, or even just (learn a few more of them)" Some "fixes" are so easy to do that I really wonder why we didn´t already get them. On the other hand, I can fix them with a houserule too, but I´d like some official "fixes".

Remove ads

Remove ads