D&D 4E The New Monster Math, Explained and Expanded

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
Yes. it's a d&d 4e thread ...

And did you notice that:
1) this thread is more than 7 years old, and
2) it appears to be incorrectly sorted into the Pathfinder/Starfinder forum?

EDIT: previously, it was in the Pathfinder forum. It appears to have subsequently been re-sorted into the correct forum by a mod.

brad-pet

Explorer
Sorry, I hope not to bother you too much but I want to get back to playing d & d 4e and I'm looking for an answer to this question. I did a google search, I did not see that the post was in the wrong forum.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sorry, I hope not to bother you too much but I want to get back to playing d & d 4e and I'm looking for an answer to this question. I did a google search, I did not see that the post was in the wrong forum.
It's OK, the forums have been re-organized here several times over the years. For a while, 4e threads were in the D&D forum, because it was the forthcoming or current ed, then they were in the "older editions" forums, which included Pathfinder as a sort of honorary 3.5, then all the D&D editions were consolidated into the D&D forum, with tags, and the older editions forum /became/ the PF forum. They're still sorting stuff out, and probably will be for a long time.
Not your fault.

Probably the best practice is to start a new thread, in the most appropriate form, with the correct tag.

Hi
Maybe someone can help me... I really like "Marvelous Monsters" pdf but I do not understand how Solo Resilience works. What does mean "It takes 1d6 [per tier] per condition" ?
Thank you
The Tiers are Heroic, Paragon (11th level+) and Epic (21). So in Paragon, the Second Tier, that would mean takes 2d6 per condition.
Conditions, of course, are named, well, bad things, that get imposed upon you (sometimes phrased as 'granted' or 'gained', which I always found ironic), like stunned, or bloodied, or the like.

So if, at a Paragon level (Tier 2), it were under 3 conditions - say, immobilized, slowed, and weakened - it would take 6d6.

Last edited:

brad-pet

Explorer
From the pdf file :
Solo Resilience:
At the start of its turn, the monster can attempt to ignore any or all
harmful conditions. It takes 1d6 [per tier] per condition, and then rolls a save with a +5
bonus against each condition. On a successful save, it ignores the condition until the
end of its current turn.

Thank you for the answer. English is not my native language. Maybe what I do not understand seems obvious to you. I resume your example :

So if, at a Paragon level (Tier 2), it were under 3 conditions - say, immobilized, slowed, and weakened - it would take 6d6.

yes, but what are these 6d6s for? damage ? Rounds?

Thanks for reading me. :)

Tony Vargas

Legend
From the pdf file :
Thank you for the answer. English is not my native language. Maybe what I do not understand seems obvious to you. I resume your example :
yes, but what are these 6d6s for? damage ? Rounds?
Thanks for reading me. :)
It's not explicit, and not up to the level of precision you'd expect from 4e, but hit point damage would be the only thing that really makes sense for "takes" in context. It should have made that explicit, saying damage, or even 'untyped damage,' and probably should have had language to make it clear said damage couldn't be reduced in any way.

The idea is that the solo burns through some of it's hps to free itself from conditions. Later 4e elites & solos often had action-preservation traits or powers so they could continue to engage the party in spite of being affected by severe conditions like stunned.
This one's actually kinda clever, because it doesn't just erase the contribution of the controller or other PC applying the conditions, they at least gets converted to damage.

Remove ads