• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The new Star Trek movie is...

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
No, I meant it was the best Star Trek film, better than Khan. Then again, I say that now, who knows if the new film will stand the test of time.

The Wrath of Khan, for all it's strengths, was a relatively small film made on the cheap. The new film is the opposite of that.

:eek:

Jasperak

Adventurer
Do I see an edition war brewing here? :lol:

WoK :cool: v. This reboot :p

I hope the movie does well, but seriously, better than this:

Attachments

• KHAN.jpg
    KHAN.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I saw it tonight and it was awesome. Absolutely.

My roommate (who hates Star Trek but was really curious what JJ would do with it) and my girlfriend (who hasn't seen any Trek before other than a few DS9 episodes as a kid) both loved it.

But I'm a little sad at the thought that we probably won't see anything more set in the old timeline. But so be it, at least the new timeline starts off with a bang!

Merlin's Shadow

First Post
The Wrath of Khan, for all it's strengths, was a relatively small film made on the cheap. The new film is the opposite of that.

I can understand different people liking different things (even if they are wrong :p), but I don't understand this reason. Lots of outstanding movies are "relatively small made on the cheap." Lots of money is not a indicator of quality (*coughMichaelBaycough*).

Mallus

Legend
Lots of outstanding movies are "relatively small made on the cheap."
Sure. Casablanca is my all-time favorite film, and it also happens to be a small film, made on the cheap, with a cast of studio contract players.

Lots of money is not a indicator of quality (*coughMichaelBaycough*).
Of course not. But that wasn't what I was saying. Or at least what I meant :).

A big budget enables higher productions values and a larger scale. The new Star Trek is just bigger than Khan, more of a spectacle. That alone doesn't make it a better film. However, the new Trek was made by a very talented group of people, who really made the most out of the $150,000,000 or so dollars they were given to work with.

Put another way... when you're making a sci-fi adventure movie about exploring strange, new worlds and having thrilling spaceship battles in orbit around them, a bigger budget sure doesn't hurt, all other thing being equal.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
I saw it tonight and it was awesome.
Glad you liked it!

In an unrelated note: how are things in Iceland these days? My wife and I vacationed there last year and fell in the love with the place. I have fond memories of the Blue Lagoon (and the lamb dinner I got in Reykjavik the last night we were there). It pains us to think that the country is going through some tough times.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
In an unrelated note: how are things in Iceland these days? My wife and I vacationed there last year and fell in the love with the place. I have fond memories of the Blue Lagoon (and the lamb dinner I got in Reykjavik the last night we were there). It pains us to think that the country is going through some tough times.
I'll echo this, especially since it's been nine freakin' years since I got to meet you, VB. How are you guys doing?

Last edited:

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I'll echo this, especially since it's been nine freakin' years since I got to meet you, VB. How are you guys doing?

Well, the times, they are interesting.

The economy is down the tubes, but really, it's not as if we'll be starving or anything. On paper everyone is bankrupt (including me and I didn't own anything), but it'll reset itself in a couple of years.

But it has also given icelandic society a good kicking in the arse and made us rethink how things have traditionally been done here.

Remove ads