The new Star Trek movie is...

Mallus

Legend
... ridiculously entertaining.

I caught a free sneak preview in Philly last night, but I'm surely going to pay money to see it again. It's the best summer movie in years. The pace is terrific without being dizzying mess and the actors really nail their roles (Pine as Kirk is great. No, really, great). The brilliant effects, sound design, production values are just icing on the cake.

In fact, as of right now, I'm thinking it's the best of the Star Trek films, period.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Honestly, it's better than the trailer. And how many films can you say that about these days?
Little or none as most will do
1) show a major plot point
2) the whole story in highlights
3) market the movie as a genre it is not (comedy vs action, horror vs comedy vs action, date flick vs action vs comedy vs horror, sci-fi vs all, etc...)
4) market the movie to a different age group / demographic
5) all the above

Jack7

First Post
I'm glad to hear this about the film Mal.
I figured they'd do a good job.

Even my wife, who is rarely a fan of anything sci-fi/fantasy/comic bookish (she likes Batman and Wolverine and that's about it), wants me to take her to see this.

She thinks Uhura and Kirk will throw down, and keeps talking 'bout how they'd make a cute couple. She's black and I'm white so I think there is a bit of not so subtle undertones in her expressed desires. Still, I think the gal they have playing Uhura is a looker, course the original was too.

I'm hoping they'll make more of a tough SOB outta McCoy (I always thought a guy from the South who looked and talked like McCoy did, not to mention picked fights with Spock all the time would have been a tough SOB as a young man) and I'm interested to see what they will do with Spock too (also a tough SOB), who was one of my favorite fictional characters back in the sixties.

So I'm glad to hear you found it a good film.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Thanks Mallus for your review. Being a major fan of Trek, especially TOS, I am am cautious of anything to do with TOS especially since the original has such great characters.

Do you think the director and script are respectful of Roddenbury's roots/concepts? Does Abrams "get" Trek? After seeing what Berman and Braga (the BB Boys) had done trying to create Trek in their own image I am suspicious to say the least.

Mallus

Legend
Still, I think the gal they have playing Uhura is a looker, course the original was too.
Zoe Saldana looks fabulous as Uhura, and she does great with the screen time she has. And there is some romance... remarkably, it's handled well and induces no prolonged period of groaning.

I'm hoping they'll make more of a tough SOB outta McCoy...
I don't know if I'd call McCoy a real tough SOB, but he comes close to stealing every scene where he has a line.

Mallus

Legend
Do you think the director and script are respectful of Roddenbury's roots/concepts? Does Abrams "get" Trek?
They totally get the spirit and characters of the original, particularly Kirk, Spock and McCoy. What they don't get, or, to be fair, even attempt, is a foray into more cerebral, idea-oriented scifi.

This is Star Trek in pure blockbuster mode, paced and shot better than any previous Trek film (make that better than almost any other SF film) with the cast doing the neat trick of making the characters seem simultaneously familiar and new. The characters really live. It's a joyous movie. Really, joyous.

(of course I say this as a life-long Star Trek fan, so suspicions of my objectivity would be well founded)

Jack7

First Post
remarkably, it's handled well and induces no prolonged period of groaning

When handled well there should be a prolonged period of groaning. Can't have everything though I reckon.

I don't know if I'd call McCoy a real tough SOB, but he comes close to stealing every scene where he has a line.

Well now, that's a start.

It's a joyous movie. Really, joyous.

Yeah Mall, but whaddya really think of it?

Remove ads