• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The new Star Trek movie is...

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Not a huge trek fan but these comments make me want to consider the movie.

Me either. Seen a dozen Voyager episodes and mostly liked them, other than that not much exposure. My fiancee loves star trek, and it looks like it will at least be a good action movie if the plot/characters don't grab me, so I'll give it a chance. Also, I saw John Cho in the preview clip, whom I know to be a really good and funny actor from Off Centre (as well as Harold and Kumar), so that appeals to me, too.

[sblock]Typing this made me want to look up Off Centre on wikipedia and checking out the cast, wow.... I didn't even notice that Euan from Off Centre was Krod Mandoon![/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
My girlfriend was lucky enough to get passes for us to an early screening on Saturday morning. I have to say, it lives up to the hype and surpassed my expectations. Fresh new actors in established roles, dynamic action and a fun plot make for a great movie. My favorite aspect is that, in one way or another, the movie seems to reward longtime fans by covering pretty much all of the TOS' well known cannon touchstones, often with amusing twists, all without dwelling on them overlong. A great balancing act. I couldn't stop grinning throughout the whole thing. Big thumbs up! :D

Now I have to fight the urge to post my favorite plot points here...

EricNoah

Adventurer
It's doing well on Rotten Tomatoes so far (100% with 22 reviews though only a few "top" reviews are in). Star Trek Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

And after reading some articles and looking at some trailers, I found myself watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture (though I also found myself fast forwarding through a lot of it - it is glacially paced). Despite the cheese and not-so-special effects, the moments between Spock and Kirk were surprisingly touching, moreso than I had remembered. I'm looking forward to seeing that develop anew in the new version (and sequels if we're lucky).

qstor

Adventurer
Thanks. That's all I needed to hear. I have a feeling I'm going to like this film a great deal. :)

I'm skeptical of what I've seen especially since I've seen comments about an "alternate timeline" I think they've fudged some dates too. Kirk was 15 when the Enterprise launched. Does he just ride his motorbike to the shipyards and see it?? I think for follow up they've backed themselves in to a corner with the alternate timeline.

As much as I hate saying it I'd prefer a Romulon war movie rather than this.

I don't think Trek is Battlestar Galactica. I love that new series but way too much has been done for a re-boot. Abrams could have done a modern Trek movie. Dominion War, the Titan or something with a big buget. The big budget alone doesn't make Trek. I liked Trek 1 and loved the Wrath of Khan. I don't think the alternate timeline will get me.

Mike

Pbartender

First Post
Abrams could have done a modern Trek movie. Dominion War, the Titan or something with a big buget.

You know... I'm a pretty big Trek fan, but I stopped going to Star Trek movies about 15 years ago, because they couldn't stop making exactly the sort of movie you're talking about. Had they made another one this year, I wouldn't bother to go see it... I don't need to pay that much money at the movie theater just to see an extra long episode of TNG or Voyager or Enterprise. :erm: Blecch.

This movie, however I've been waiting to see for the last six months. Hell, even my wife and kids are excited about it.

Mallus

Legend
I don't think the alternate timeline will get me.
Let me ask you this: are a few chronological details more important to you than the characters? Because the brilliance of the film is the way it reminds the audience why Kirk, Spock and McCoy (et al) are beloved characters in the first place.

Mallus

Legend
Despite the cheese and not-so-special effects, the moments between Spock and Kirk were surprisingly touching, moreso than I had remembered.
I have the director's cut of ST:TMP on DVD. It's a good film. It's Trek in a stately and thoughtful mode, more 2001 than Star Wars.

The new one is definitely more Star Wars (but with better characters!).

Brown Jenkin

First Post
See to me Trek isn't big budget action movies. Trek has been about exploring human society and motivations. If people like big budget action movies there are plenty to choose from, why does Trek need to be one of them.

Pbartender

First Post
Let me ask you this: are a few chronological details more important to you than the characters? Because the brilliance of the film is the way it reminds the audience why Kirk, Spock and McCoy (et al) are beloved characters in the first place.

It suddenly occurs to me that any Trek fan being upset about an "alternate timeline" in the movie is the height of hypocrisy.

;) :p

If any sci-fi franchise is ripe for "rebooting", it'd be Star Trek... Mainly because alternate timelines and parallel universes are already such a well established plot device within the series.

Remove ads