"Mindless Pursuit"

The book of Oozes, Vermin, and Constructs

"The Bestiary"

Magical Beasts and Animals

"Encyclopedia of Monsters, volume 4: L,M,N"

Elementals

Fortain

First Post
One series that would probably take a while to get together (depending on critters), and would be interesting to see, would be a series on the rigid-alignment critters (Complete Law, Complete Neutral, Complete Chaos). Each book would be split into 3 main parts:
LG/LN/LE for the Law book
NG/N/NE for the Neutral
CG/CN/CE for the Chaos

Just my 2 coppers.

Shade

Monster Junkie
In order:

• Fiendish Codex III (the rest of the fiends)
  • A book on elementals, including the archomentals
  • A book on Neutral outsiders, including the slaad lords
  • A book on Good outsiders
  • A book on giants

RigaMortus2

First Post
Kurashu said:
While Oozes themselves might not warrent an entire book on their own, they could combine it with another type. What that type would be, I don't know. But I'd be interested in learning of the softer side of oozes. You know the side of them that calls their friends to go out for lunch ("I hear there's a party of adventures coming through later today.") or just wants to spend time with their spouse on a romantic everning ("Honey, that halfling was delicious.").

...Maybe not.

Shapechangers would be a definite buy for me.

I could see Oozes and Swarms in one book...

Hmmm... Book of the Tarrasque?

Also, does anyone else think it would be a good idea if they redistributed the Monster Manuals based on CR? For example, MM1 would be for creatures CR1 - CR5, MM2 CR6 - CR10, ect. Maybe not as Monster Manuals necessarily... It just seems to me, the new MMs that come out have more higher CR creatures in them than lower CR...

Last edited:

RigaMortus2

First Post
Klaus said:
I'd like to see a book on Fey. And that's not because I'm currently envisioning a fey-descended warlock (CG) whose eldritch blasts look like she's using a bow made of faerie fire and who takes Obtain Familiar to have a buckawn as a familiar. :)

Pretty cool... I was going to do a Warlock/Ninja whose Eldritch Blast was basically a chi (ki) blast (basically think Ken and Ryu from StreetFighter video game). Also taking the Invocation that gives +6 to Balance, Tumble, Jump. And there is a feat in PHBII that allows you to Ready an ranged attack for when an ally hits an opponent. Should that ally successfully hit the opponent, your ranged attack triggers (in this case, Eldritch Blast) and the target is denied Dex. Thus the Ninja's Sudden Strike ability takes effect.

Staffan

Legend
Bad Paper said:
magical beasts, yo
I disagree. IMO, the strength of the Draconomicon (well, in addition to being generally high quality) is that dragons are rather similar to one another. You pretty much know what to expect from a dragon: physically powerful, breath weapon, relatively minor magic, high levels of cunning, etc. Sure, there are differences between types, but the similarities are a lot bigger.

Libris Mortis and Lords of Madness suffered in comparison, because they had to be split up into different parts, each describing creatures that are rather different from one another. Mind flayers don't really have much in common with neogi or beholders, other than a general weirdness. I think the 2e books I, Tyrant and The Illithiad worked better in this regard, focusing on one type of monster (beholder and mind flayer, respectively) and doing some more immediate variants (various beholderkin as well as some mind flayer variations). Pretty sure the same goes for the 2e Van Richten's Guides as well, but not being a Ravenloft fan I never looked into those.

Magical beasts have even less in common with one another. That's basically the "none of the above" monster category. The only thing they have in common are the purely game-mechanical stuff.

Now, a Giant book, or a Lycanthrope book, those have potential. Or a Fey book - fey have at least as much in common with one another as aberrations do.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
FC III 'Loths and misc evil outsiders

would not get fey, giants or constructs,
Would look closely at an upper planar book.
General Humanoids would be worth a good look.

Remove ads