D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond! Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on! UPDATE -- the book now has a description! https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-the-dragon-book-now-has-a-description.681399/ https://www.enworld.org/threads/my-guess-for-the-other-d-d-book-this-year-draconomicon.680687/ Fizban the Fabulous by Vera...

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Does anyone actually like dragons?
Yes. I ran Dragon of Icespire Peak for a group of newish players last spring, and they were thrilled to be having their first dragon combat.

geez, you guys are a tough crowd!
I can't remember the last 5E book announcement that was actually greeted with excitement and interest by the denizens of this board.

Probably too much to hope for a return of the catastrophic dragons from 4E, huh?
Catastrophic dragons? Do tell.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Probably too much to hope for a return of the catastrophic dragons from 4E, huh?

I'd settle for linnorms.

I believe both Volo's and Mordenkainen's had about 140-160 new statblocks, and if this book comes close to that and is just all new dragons, you could see both.

Still, could be a lot less than that honestly.

pukunui

Legend
Yeah this is my exact thoughts... it's a quality piece and it does the job, but isn't really very exciting either. I felt the same about the Van Richten's cover... I think the last cover I really liked was Tasha's.
Tasha’s is hands down the best 5e book cover.

And yeah, while I’m excited to get a new book on dragons, I’m not so keen on the name or the cover. As long as the content is as good as (if not better than) the 3.5e Draconomicon, I’ll be happy.

EDIT: And yes, I too would love to see the catastrophic dragons make an appearance here. I have an idea for a campaign where they are the only kinds of dragons.

I'm sure they'll update Fizban to be less "senile wizard played for laughs as a cover," because that doesn't exactly look good today. I imagine the tone will be somewhere between Mordenkainen's pompousness and Tasha's sense of humor. He needs something other than Yet-Another-Not-Gandalf as an identity.

At best, Fizban would be a discount Elminster.

Fizban was Paladine’s ”wandering eccentric wizard” avatar form. He acted the fool to throw off those who met him and encourage them to depend on their own abilities than beseech him to fix their problems.

I’m not aware of the Sage of Shadowdale, Elminster, behaving the buffoon similarly - though he could be patronizing and mischievous when visiting Ed. Usually, he was just sly. He was more likely to manipulate others to fix his problems.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's got two Dragons engaged in a dynamic face-off. I like the positioning, and the implied motion. Seems decent. Not the best, but it sends the message "this is about Dragons." Would've maybe preferred something a bit more over the top.
Part of the issue is that this version of the cover is washed out. I assume, once it's got the proper saturation and more detail, it'll be more of a grabber.

Remove ads

Remove ads