The official EN World puppy/doggo thread

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ugh! Our dog found a bunny (?) nest in the yard tonight, and ate at least one before I realized what was happening and called her off.

Tomorrow I need to call the vet and probably get her something to prevent parasites (like tapeworms) from infecting her.

I also may need to call animal control to remove the remaining babies-I saw at least one cowering in the nest- if any survive the night. The nesting spot is exposed and she’ll probably go right back to it. The nest’s location is a complete surprise, all things considered. We just finished having our fence replaced today, and you’d think our dog or the workers would have seen it before tonight.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Ugh! Our dog found a bunny (?) nest in the yard tonight, and ate at least one before I realized what was happening and called her off.

Tomorrow I need to call the vet and probably get her something to prevent parasites (like tapeworms) from infecting her.

I also may need to call animal control to remove the remaining babies-I saw at least one cowering in the nest- if any survive the night. The nesting spot is exposed and she’ll probably go right back to it. The nest’s location is a complete surprise, all things considered. We just finished having our fence replaced today, and you’d think our dog or the workers would have seen it before tonight.
I had a foster doggo a few weeks ago that army crawled under the back porch through the lattice to return with a bunny carcass. Took me 10 min chasing him around the yard to get rid of his prize.

ko6ux

Adventurer
I almost used the completely dopey sentence "I didn't know they did barnwork with Boston Terriers..."

They are definitely not a breed that is known for this sort of work, but my wife is stubborn and Seamus is actually pretty adept at it. The lady that runs the local scentwork club is tickled by it because they've never had a Boston participate before.

Edit: Seamus is also a bit of a genetic throwback. At 33 pounds he's larger and more athletic than a lot of other Bostons.

Thomas Shey

Legend
They are definitely not a breed that is known for this sort of work, but my wife is stubborn and Seamus is actually pretty adept at it. The lady that runs the local scentwork club is tickled by it because they've never had a Boston participate before.

Edit: Seamus is also a bit of a genetic throwback. At 33 pounds he's larger and more athletic than a lot of other Bostons.

Well, you have to deal with modern breeds that have drifted a bit from their original breeding, but I'm betting most terriers of any stripe could be trained to barnwork if someone wanted to do it; after all, these were breeds that were originally bred to be ratters in the first place; that probably hasn't entirely washed out.

ko6ux

Adventurer
Well, you have to deal with modern breeds that have drifted a bit from their original breeding, but I'm betting most terriers of any stripe could be trained to barnwork if someone wanted to do it; after all, these were breeds that were originally bred to be ratters in the first place; that probably hasn't entirely washed out.

Fair enough. I think Bostons have drifted pretty far from both their terrier and fighting bulldog heritages, though, having been consistently bred down to be brachycephalic lap dogs. The folks in the scent work club (rightly or wrongly) seem to think that short-snout dogs aren't usually good at this sort of thing, so your initial gut response is probably not far from the consensus.

Still, the heritage is there and clearly is has not entirely been bred out.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Fair enough. I think Bostons have drifted pretty far from both their terrier and fighting bulldog heritages, though, having been consistently bred down to be brachycephalic lap dogs. The folks in the scent work club (rightly or wrongly) seem to think that short-snout dogs aren't usually good at this sort of thing, so your initial gut response is probably not far from the consensus.

Still, the heritage is there and clearly is has not entirely been bred out.

Well, I won't even get started on my opinion of the breeding damage that's been done to some modern dogs in the interest of a particular look, since it'd be a rant and probably offend people who love those breeds to boot.

Remove ads