[The One Ring] The Marsh Bell

fireinthedust

Explorer
Vardolas nods at Autiel's information. Then we should learn what we can of our neighbours, of their troubles and of the area.

He leaves the boat and moves to the woodsman. I am Vardolas, of Mirkwood and of this fellowship. We are travelling the woods to learn what we can of events in the world. You say you used to get more travellers than you do now? What has changed so that fewer men come this way? I had thought the recent wars would bring more men travelling here, as the Dale men have prospered since the dragon was slain.

[sblock=ooc] sorry I've been so quiet. I'm busy too, but I'll try to post more frequently. Working 7 days/wk, tho, so I'm really taking a hit. We got netflix on the xbox now, though, so it could be that I'll get to use the computer for typing more often! I will be slower, though.

I did update my gaming blog, tho! I think I'll try to review this system when I get the book. (fingers crossed for xmas goodies)

Part of me is suspicious of this guy, as he's an NPC near Mirkwood and could be a hillbilly cannibal who ate the dwarves we're looking for. The other part thinks I'm in the Lord of the Rings or, worse, the Hobbit, so everything is safe all the time always. Huzzah! Well, childhood nostalgia dulling the senses for sure.

I'm likewise worried I have no useful skills for the party. Is lookout important?
[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
"These are all fine questions peoples of the woods. However, we are on an important quest here, and it is to find two travelling dwarves; we'll do well in not overwhelm this poor gentleman with all these questions now, but over dinner perhaps. The question worth asking is, have you seen these two travelling dwarves? One of them had long silvery beard, and a red hood." says Kurin, disregarding the elf's questions for now on one hand, and asking for the dwarves, Balin in particular.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
"Do the descendents of those men yet remain or are you newly arrived?"

"My father and his father and his father and his grandfather before him lived here. They say the first of us came all the way from the city of Dale, back when there was still traffic on the river. But then the Dragon came and burned Dale, and nobody came here any more. They founded a new town up at the north end of the lake instead. My cousin Frida went all the way up there to see it a few seasons ago, and she says its real big. No wonder they've got no use for us anymore.

He leaves the boat and moves to the woodsman. I am Vardolas, of Mirkwood and of this fellowship. We are travelling the woods to learn what we can of events in the world. You say you used to get more travellers than you do now? What has changed so that fewer men come this way? I had thought the recent wars would bring more men travelling here, as the Dale men have prospered since the dragon was slain.

The man laughs. "You misunderstand me, good sir! I'm speaking of the old days before the Dragon even came. We heard that it was slain, and hoped that would mean more people travelling the river as they did of old, but it hasn't happened. Still only a few travellers. Although you're the second we've had in weeks, so maybe our luck's changing at last!"

"These are all fine questions peoples of the woods. However, we are on an important quest here, and it is to find two travelling dwarves; we'll do well in not overwhelm this poor gentleman with all these questions now, but over dinner perhaps. The question worth asking is, have you seen these two travelling dwarves? One of them had long silvery beard, and a red hood." says Kurin, disregarding the elf's questions for now on one hand, and asking for the dwarves, Balin in particular.

"The very ones I'm speaking of! They hailed us courteously, but abruptly, and refused our help and our fire, to carry their boat down the stair themselves. It must have been full dark when they reached the bottom - I suppose they camped there, or even half way down." He shakes his head and continues, with a sidelong glance at Kurin. "Too important and impatient for the likes of us, I suppose. You'll come pass the night with us, though, won't you? And perhaps tell us some of the news from away up north?" He seems very hopeful and eager that you accept.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Those fine gentlemen were on an important mission good sir, and haste was for them in essence. So is for us, for we must find what happen to them. But we need rest, and we'll gladly take your hospitality this night. Is it possible that we reach their camp before it's too late to return here to share a fire with you and and sing some songs?" Kurin says, and the keeps explaining "We might find some clues investigating their camp site. I guess they didn't say which road were they going to take, did they?"

fireinthedust

Explorer
OOC: How well can we elves see in the dark right now? Considering we get bonuses in this environment (having been the elves who stayed on Middle Earth while the others went to the land of the West, I'm guessing we can see fairly well), and all that.

Also: are we tired?

And: I have no idea how to add equipment to Vardolas. Am I supposed to start with one of the special weapons (like that spear the Hobbit mentioned) or are those magical items we have to earn?

Vardolas looks beyond where they are, to see if he can see the humans' house.

CaBaNa

First Post
Such impatience, relax fellows and let us partake of the culture here. Merriment must be taken where it can be found, or we'd all be dour. Our quest is for the morrow. Hobnob claps his hands on his stomach and it jiggles slightly, Besides, I'm hungry.

Remove ads