[The One Ring] The Marsh Bell

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
How well can we elves see in the dark right now? Considering we get bonuses in this environment (having been the elves who stayed on Middle Earth while the others went to the land of the West, I'm guessing we can see fairly well), and all that.

On the live character sheet, mouse over the "Folk of the Dusk" cultural blessing. That'll answer your question.

Also: are we tired?

Good question. Everyone make a Fatigue test. That's a Travel roll, TN 14. If you fail, add 1 to your Fatigue score. When your Fatigue reaches your Endurance, you become Weary and get penalties to all your actions. (Fatigue goes up as you travel and pick up heavier equipment; Endurance goes down as you get injured, and they meet in the middle.)

(Sorry, forgot we're supposed to roll Fatigue every day - I was going to just call for them at the end of the journey.)

And: I have no idea how to add equipment to Vardolas. Am I supposed to start with one of the special weapons (like that spear the Hobbit mentioned) or are those magical items we have to earn?

At character creation you chose either a Virtue (special skill) or Reward (special equipment). You chose Virtue, and got "Wood Elf Magic (stinging arrow)", according to the character sheet I have saved for you.

Anyone need me to post their character sheets to keep up to date?
[/sblock]

Vardolas looks beyond where they are, to see if he can see the humans' house.

A cluster of run-down huts are set back from the water. Fishing nets are drying on racks outside them. From beyond the huts you see a glimmer of firelight.

OOC: I'll wait to give anyone else a chance to object before you all go up to the houses.

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Vardolas is very interested in investigating these houses, so different from his home beneath the eaves of Mirkwood.

OOC: I think that's my Travel roll. I'll check the RG thread and see if I have another d6 (our stats are the extra d6s we add to a given roll, right?)

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Authiel is hesitant, but as Vardolas seems to be interested, she grudgingly follows, keeping a wary eye.

[sblock=Travel Roll]1d12+1d6=18! Gandalf Rune AND Extraordinary success! Doesn't get any better than that.[/sblock]

[sblock=Authiel]Name: Authiel Silivrenniel Culture: Elf of Mirkwood Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Folk of the Dusk Calling: Warden Shadow weakness: Lure of Power
Specialties: Mirkwood-lore, Woodwright, Shadow-lore
Distinctive features: Hardened, Keen-eyed
Body: 5 Heart: 3 Wits: 6
Body (favoured): 7 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 7
-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 2 Inspire: 0 Persuade: 0 AP: 0
  • Athletics: 3 Travel: 1 Stealth: 2 AP: 1
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 0 Search: 1 AP: 0
  • Explore: 1 Healing: 1 Hunting: 1 AP: 0
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 0 Riddle: 0 AP: 0
  • Craft: 1 Battle: 2 Lore: 3 AP: 1
-Weapon Skills-
  • Bow: 3 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Sword: 1 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
  • Dagger: 1 damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 1
-Virtues-:
-Rewards-: Woodland Bow
-Gear-
  • Mail shirt enc: 12
  • Cap of iron and leather enc: 2
  • Buckler enc: 1
Endurance: 25 Starting Endurance: 25 Fatigue: 19 Hope: 11 Starting Hope: 11 Shadow: 0 Armour: 3 Headgear: 1 Parry: 6 Shield: 1 Damage: 0 Ranged: 0 Wisdom: 1 Valour: 2 Experience: 0 Total Experience: 0 [/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
Riggins works hard to help the others unload the boats so they can rest. While quite used to long travel, he is more accustomed to walking at a hobbit pace and not prolonged boat travel.

[sblock=travel] It looks like I scored an 8, but I'm not sure what rolling one 6 means to the roll. Is there are area we should record our fatigue? [/sblock]

[sblock=Riggins]
Name: Riggins Magby Culture: Hobbit of the Shire Standard of Living: Prosperous
Cultural blessing: Hobbit-sense Calling: Treasure-Hunter Shadow weakness: Dragon-sickness
Specialties: Smoking, Story-telling, Burglary
Distinctive features: Curious, True-hearted
Body: 3 Heart: 7 Wits: 4
Body (favoured): 5 Heart (favoured): 8 Wits (favoured): 7

-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 0 Inspire: 0 Persuade: 2
  • Athletics: 1 Travel: 2 Stealth: 3
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 1 Search: 2
  • Explore: 1 Healing: 0 Hunting: 0
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 3 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 0 Battle: 1 Lore: 1
-Weapon Skills-
  • Short sword: 2 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Bow: 2 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Dagger: 1 damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
-Virtues-:
-Rewards-: Bow of the North Downs

-Gear-
  • Leather corslet enc: 8
  • Cap of iron and leather enc: 2
  • Buckler enc: 1
Endurance: 23 Starting Endurance: 23 Fatigue: 14 Hope: 19 Starting Hope: 19 Shadow: 0

Armour: 2 Headgear: 1 Parry: 4 Shield: 1 Damage: 3 Ranged: 3 Wisdom: 1 Valour: 2

Experience: NaN Total Experience: NaN

[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Before unpacking the first item, Hobnob gets his pipe going again and stretches more thoroughly on land. After getting himself in a more relaxed place, he helps with the remaining load Dry and warm, with food.

OOC: spending a point of hope to add heart (I think) score to the roll, making it an extraordinary success, as Hobnob rolled a six. Does that earn an advancement point?

[sblock=Hobnob]

one advancement point in custom.

"Patience is a virtue, have it if you can, often in a hobbit, rarely in a man."
Name: Hobnob Hornblower Culture: Hobbit of the Shire Standard of Living: Prosperous
Cultural blessing: Hobbit-sense Calling: Scholar Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialties: Herb-lore, Smoking, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Merry, Patient
Body: 2 Heart: 6 Wits: 6
Body (favoured): 3 Heart (favoured): 8 Wits (favoured): 9
-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 1 Inspire: 0 Persuade: 2
  • Athletics: 0 Travel: 1 Stealth: 3
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 2 Search: 2
  • Explore: 1 Healing: 2 Hunting: 0
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 3 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 0 Battle: 0 Lore: 2
-Weapon Skills-
  • Short sword: 2 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Bow: 1 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Dagger: 1 damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
-Virtues-: Art of Disappearing
-Rewards-:
-Gear-
  • Shield enc: 3
  • Flint & Steel
  • Miniature torch
  • Short Sword
  • Sickle (Dagger)
  • Sling (Short Bow) and rocks (arrows)
  • Pipes; a wooden Strider, a wooden Gandalf, a clay Sherlock, and a clay Briar.
  • Three different types of pipe-weed, in bulk and seeds enough to test the nearby areas for growth potential. <- Left in the care of the dwarves (Contracts drawn)
  • Three differing types of pipe-weed, three weeks supply.
  • Letterhead for potential contracts.
  • Horn
  • Water-skin
  • First aid kit (strips of cloth, varying herbs and poultices, sealed boiled water, thread and needle.)
  • Notebook with various herb-lore and medical information, pressed herbs between some pages.
Endurance: 22 Starting Endurance: 22 Fatigue: 6 Hope: 17 Starting Hope: 18 Shadow: 0 Armour: 0 Headgear: 0 Parry: 6 Shield: 2 Damage: 2 Ranged: 2 Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 Experience: 0 Total Experience: 0

[/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
OOC: I'm out of town for work for a week, not sure if I'll get time to post - sorry for the delay!

In the meantime, here's something to keep you working off of. I'll answer your questions next time I have time to make a full post.

The man leads you up the beach to a cleared circle surrounded by rude houses. They are similar in style to those of Lake-town, but much more plain and shabby. The only one which appears well kept is a long hall on the side of the circle across from the lake. It seems to be a central meeting house.

In the center of the circle, a group of children are feeding wood to a large bonfire. Their elders are setting out mugs and trenchers on long tables which, from the marks in the dirt, look to have been dragged out from the longhall. They turn to stare as you approach, and your guide calls out, "The travellers from the water have come to join us!" The villagers greet this with cheers and welcome you warmly.

Over the course of the meal (smoke-blackened lake fish, cooked on planks on the fire, accompanied by leafy greens and mugs of strong ale or clear water) the villagers press you for news from away north, while sharing the little going-on of their town (mostly revolving around the state of the crops and the bounty of the lake). They are keenly hopeful that the unprecedented approach of two sets of travellers means that the river will become a travelled road as it was before. They seem to keenly remember their heritage and are proud of their role as porters even though few boats come now.

(Unless pressed, none of them mentions how much they will charge to haul your boat and goods down the Stair in the morning.)

Voda Vosa

First Post
Kurin settles on the table and enjoys the food and the stories. As they eat, he points at some of the eldest men and says “Peoples of strong arms and hearts are required in Lake Town, for what I was able to see. There would be lots of opportunities for folks such as yourselves there, and also protection from orcs and whatnot. The trade with the Lonely Mountain has increased jobs and wealth in the area…” Kurin searched for the other two dwarf's reassurance, since the elves, the hobbits and himself were new to Lake Town. His ‘business talk’ keep on as long as the dwarf was eating. Dwarf usually speak of business with food in their mouth, so says the saying.

But as dinner reached an end, and everybody settled down for tea and smoke, Kurin leaned back, filling his pipe with the weed the hobbits had offered him. “Fine product,” he stated, almost to himself, as he filled the pipe and light it. Tilting his head back he began casting rings of smoke, and then, long spiralling lines, that quickly flew through the rings, dragging them into an amorphous puff of smoke. “My signature move” he says proudly. Kurin wasn’t a professional of smoke ring making, but he enjoyed practice of such an arcane tradition.

The dwarf seems eager to either tell stories or sing, but the ambient doesn’t look good for a song. “I think we need to know each other my friends. I’ll make the honours and begin, hehe… “ the dwarf clears his throat and starts

I come from a proud family of dwarfs from the Iron Hills, we have never been very wealthy, nor too poor. We’ve worked hard to make a living, with my father Korim, and my son Korin. My Father is a skilled cuartermaster, and I was quicker with a pick than any dwarf you’ll have the honour of meeting. My little boy is half and half, as usual. In the times of Smaug, Dain, lord of the Iron Hills, had heard of the devastation the dragon brought to the Lonley Mountain, and decided to erect huge stone walls on the entrances of the Mines, to protect us from the dragon. My father was called to handle the workers, and me and my boy, along with dozens of dwarfs worked on the quarry mines, getting the stone needed. When the walls were done, we felt safe, and started preparing for war inside our fortress. Word had it that the King Under the Mountain was returning to his rightful place and would cast the dragon out. Thorin Oakshield did exactly that. By the time the crows arrived with the news, we have crafted many armors and weapons, and marched to what was later known as the Battle of the Fiver armies. Initially, we thought we were going to fight the elves and the men of lake town, but as the or chords appeared from the right flank of the mountain, old rivalries died quickly, and we all fought bravely against the orcs. My son was lost to me, as were many brave souls that day, at the hands of those dark creatures. Not even the King Under the Mountain was safe.
But after the grief and the healing, time for growth came, and my father and I moved to the Lonley Mountain, as Dain was proclaimed new King Under the Mountain, and wanted us to work on the newly formed Artisan’s Guild.
Years later, I was sent to the embassy to meet lord Gloin, to establish trade quotas. That’s where my tale ends, and our tale begins.”
Finishes up the dwarf. Now with a nostalgic air in his eyes, he gazes to the night sky.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
OOC: Anyone else still playing? [MENTION=88601]FourMonos[/MENTION], [MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION], [MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION], [MENTION=82643]CaBaNa[/MENTION]?

Remove ads