• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The party's cleric *won't* heal your character?!

Driddle

First Post
I find it a waste of good potential and an insult to the group when a high-dexterity character -- especially a fighter -- doesn't take the weapon finesse feat or specialize in ranged combat. Cheeses me off to no end. The nerve of those players! And don't give me none of that baloney about, "It's my character concept that he prefers a quarterstaff" or whatever. It's simple: You want to game with me, you'd better play *correctly* in accordance with traditional roles and the tactical application of attribute advantages.

And don't even get me started on rogues and bards who don't put at least a few frippin' points into their gather information skill ....

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Driddle said:
I find it a waste of good potential and an insult to the group when a high-dexterity character -- especially a fighter -- doesn't take the weapon finesse feat or specialize in ranged combat. Cheeses me off to no end. The nerve of those players! And don't give me none of that baloney about, "It's my character concept that he prefers a quarterstaff" or whatever. It's simple: You want to game with me, you'd better play *correctly* in accordance with traditional roles and the tactical application of attribute advantages.

And don't even get me started on rogues and bards who don't put at least a few frippin' points into their gather information skill ....

Wow. I don't know where to begin other than to say this is 180-degrees from my opinion. I am totally in the camp of letting people play what they want to play rather than having to abide by preset assumptions.

Then again, I don't even look at other players character sheets unless I'm the DM. I hate knowing. So honestly, I'd never know if a player took it or not!

shilsen

Adventurer
Nonlethal Force said:
Wow. I don't know where to begin other than to say this is 180-degrees from my opinion. I am totally in the camp of letting people play what they want to play rather than having to abide by preset assumptions.

Then again, I don't even look at other players character sheets unless I'm the DM. I hate knowing. So honestly, I'd never know if a player took it or not!
I think Driddle is joking.

Please, Driddle, be joking!

Endur

First Post
Elf Witch said:
I quit this character because I did not enjoy having to listen to being told how to play my character.

1. I agree, you shouldn't have to listen to others tell you how to play your character.
2. Lot of us are guilty of the clueless sin in #1, including myself on occassion.
3. Part of the problem is that people think they can be saved by the cleric, and there is a dependency, almost like a "Dad can I borrow the car keys please?" factor going on.

But yes, I agree 100%, playing a cleric exposes you to this sort of problem moreso than other character classes.

Personally (and this is very hard to do), my response is that "I'm roleplaying not wargaming" and if they want to say something, they should say it in character.

Len

Prodigal Member
Driddle said:
Have you ever been part of an adventure in which the party's designated healer expressed reluctance or otherwise tried to avoid taking care of his injured peers?
In one of our campaigns, our designated healer was an annoying NPC cleric who wouldn't heal anyone unless they prayed first. He didn't care who we prayed to, it didn't have to be his god, any god would do. So after a combat, the paladin and one other PC said their prayers and got healed, my rogue bluffed it, and the other PC, well, he was sore for a few days. :)

As soon as we could, we dumped that NPC and the paladin got an LG cleric cohort who'd do what he was told.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I think the most important point here, for both the cleric and non-cleric characters in these examples is also the simplest one: the characters you play aren't real you are always in charge of what they do.

I am a big fan of roleplaying and exploring interesting character ideas (believe me!) but at the same time, when you ultimately say "that's what my character would do!" in response to something that will cause a big problem for the campaign, it's a cop-out.

If you're playing a rogue who's going to steal from the group and randomly execute prisoners, then you can expect to get called on it at some point, especially if the group is good! When that happens, your actions may very well have been in character, but the rest of the group may not like them and may state that fact being equally in character. Maybe your gaming group is mature enough to handle this all in character, and if they are more power to you! If they aren't, however, playing the "it was just what my character would do!" card does not absolve you of what was happening. You choose the kind of stories you want to explore with each character you play, so that character who was always looking after no one but himself might be surprised when he gets his comeuppance, but you shouldn't be.

That goes the same way for the cleric side of things: you're choosing how devout your character is, as well as what they're going to be focusing on. If your cleric does nothing but buff himself in combat, expect both the other characters and the players to call you on it.

What solves a lot of these problems before they start is to have a character creation session where everyone sits down and talks about their characters. If you're going to play a warrior priest who doesn't believe in healing the weak, let people know about it. That way if the group is taking a "party based" approach to making characters, you can be classified as a warrior rather than a cleric. Similarly, that klepto rogue with a mean streak? Talk about that before the game starts! If the rest of the group has a cleric or paladin focus, better buck up on your use magic device skill and get yourself a wand or two!

There is a certain amount of suspension of disbelief that occurs in a game session about groups of characters that stick together in dangerous situations when they really shouldn't, but everyone has their own definition of how far this goes, so before a campaign starts, it's a good idea to get everyone on the same page.

And that's just my opinion, of course...I could be wrong...

--Steve

Nonlethal Force

First Post
shilsen said:
I think Driddle is joking.

Please, Driddle, be joking!

Yeah. I hope it is a joke, too! I honestly never thought it as a joke ... considering this is the OP and the title is seemingly against clerics who don't heal. But then again, it has been a few days since I read the first post so I shouldn't assume. Anyway, I echoe Shilsen's comment. Please, driddle, be joking!

Kahuna Burger

First Post
SteveC said:
When that happens, your actions may very well have been in character, but the rest of the group may not like them and may state that fact being equally in character. Maybe your gaming group is mature enough to handle this all in character, and if they are more power to you! If they aren't, however, playing the "it was just what my character would do!" card does not absolve you of what was happening.
While I agree with almost every part of your post, I gotta pull this out and say:

There is nothing more mature about dealing with interparty conflict in character than dealing with it out of character. In many cases I would consider it to be more mature to just flat out say "The way you are playing your character is making my character/my expereince of the game less enjoyable to me. Are you willing to make changes?" than to "handle it in character" which can easily turn into a highly immature PvP and "revenge character" creation. If your character's behavior is making life difficult for another character but all the players are still having fun, in character is the way to go. If your roleplaying choices are making the game less fun for another player there is no reason to artifically constrain the issue to "in character" discussion.

Animus

Explorer
SteveC said:
What solves a lot of these problems before they start is to have a character creation session where everyone sits down and talks about their characters. If you're going to play a warrior priest who doesn't believe in healing the weak, let people know about it. That way if the group is taking a "party based" approach to making characters, you can be classified as a warrior rather than a cleric. Similarly, that klepto rogue with a mean streak? Talk about that before the game starts! If the rest of the group has a cleric or paladin focus, better buck up on your use magic device skill and get yourself a wand or two!

QFT. I do think that keeping some things secret is good for RP purposes, things that could hurt the party should be shared, so that there will be few (hopefully no) surprises about party roles not being filled.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads