D&D 5E The Philosophy Behind Randomized and Standardized Ability Scores

MGibster

Legend
Anyway, I wanted to put this out for general discussion- the social and table aspect of ability score generation. What do you think? Do you consider this, and if so (or if not), why?
I've been using point buy for D&D character generation ever since 3rd edition. Fairness doesn't really enter the picture for me, I just want to be able to make the type of character I want to play rather than leaving it to random chance. That said, in my current game someone suggest we all roll up random attributes and I was all for it. I said I was up to iron man the character generation but my fellow players wimped out on me. But for me, one of my specific goals of this campaign was to play a combination of character class and race that I don't typically play. Which is why I have an elf druid.

MGibster

Legend
Back in the very late 80s or early 90s, my DM got the bright idea of determining each attribute by rolling 2d6 taking the highest number and multiplying that by 3. I ended up with 18s in all my attributes except for Charisma which was a 15. I still couldn't qualify to be a #%#%# Paladin!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I did a variation on this for my campaign. Each player rolled 4d6 6 times and the 24 results were recorded on a central sheet. I then ordered the results high to low then assigned each player a number 1 through 4. From that point I started with the top score working down to the lowest in snake draft (1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1) order.

I think it was a lot of needless time wasting versus just picking an array, but the players liked the possibility of getting some starting 18s even if it came with possible 6s and requested some sort of die rolling.

I feel my snake draft method allows for some high scores but doesn't end up with characters far from each other when it comes to stat bonus totals.
What I like about “the player who got the lowest score last round gets first pick this round” as opposed to snake draft is it gamifies the drafting process a bit more. In a snake draft the “right” call is always just to pick the highest score available, which contributes to it feeling like an unnecessarily elaborate way to basically get arrays with maybe a small chance at an 18 or a 6. But if picking a lower score now could mean getting first pick next round…

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I just read a comment by @FireLance -
One possibility that I've been toying with, although I admit I've never actually used in any of the campaigns I've run, is to start with the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), assign as desired to the various ability scores, and then roll 3d6 in order. If the number rolled for an ability score is higher than the assigned number, use the rolled number instead.

It's an interesting proposal! The thing is, from the very beginning (3d6 in order) to the new random (4d6k1) to the variants introduced in the 1e DMG and UA to modern methods of point buy and the standard array, the one constant I have seen is the desire to explore different methods of ability score generation.
(((SNIP)))

Anyway, I wanted to put this out for general discussion- the social and table aspect of ability score generation. What do you think? Do you consider this, and if so (or if not), why?

Sounds fine to me. But if you want "ultimate group fairness with random rolling"...and some sort of sick glee from watching your Players agonize about accepting that score of 5 to get that 18 as well ;) ...then I created a method I use for my own Homebrew Fantasy RPG (based on Darkurthe Legends) that I call the "Wheel of Pain Method".

I already described it in a couple other threads over the years, so here's the latest (I think):

^_^

Paul L. Ming

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Nerd Immersion mentioned in a video a method that I liked of Stat Bingo. Create a Grid of 6x6 rolling 4d6 drop lowest and the players can select from any line or diagonal.

reelo

Hero
I never could wrap my head around "roll for stats and then distribute them yourself anyway".

Well, other than desire to have higher ability scores than is possible through point-buy.
What I can't wrap my head around is automatic ASI ever so often in 5E, as well as the expectation that by level X, you are "supposed" to have 20 in your main stat.
I much prefer the way games like Mythras handle stats, where your starting stats are your body's absolute achievable prime.
If I ever DM 5E again, I'll completely excise ASI.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
What I can't wrap my head around is automatic ASI ever so often in 5E, as well as the expectation that by level X, you are "supposed" to have 20 in your main stat.
I much prefer the way games like Mythras handle stats, where your starting stats are your body's absolute achievable prime.
Make sure you understand the system math when you do this. It could have unintended consequences on character's ability to be effective. Probably not as detrimental as a system like PF2, but there will still be an impact on this decision.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I would not but I understand the sentiment and with bounded accuracy it is a bit unnecessary, I am tempted to run some mid level one shots with no ASI but allow feats instead.

Remove ads