D&D General The Problem with Evil or what if we don't use alignments?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Each setting on the other hand continues (with the arguable exception of the 4e Realms). Are 3.X orcs meant to have the same description as 2e orcs? If so then why the change? If not then why the change?
Why the change is easy. 1) to justify a new edition. Few or no changes and people aren't going to invest money in the new books. 2) to differentiate WotC from TSR. They just bought the company and had to make themselves stand out as D&D.

Mostly ignored by a minority, sure.
[Citation needed]
Thing is, a majority of us still use it and use it properly with no issues, because there are no mechanics associated with it any longer.
The largest problem is the fluff it produces. Saying "Because there are no mechanics associated" doesn't deal with the fundamental problem that calling entire races evil is both weak and toxic worldbuilding.
It's not cluttering up the books.
It's in every single statblock. That's clutter. Especially as statblocks are intended to be stripped down to the things you actually use where the rubber meets the road. Your "two words" issue is like saying "it's only a lump of grit" conveniently ignoring that that grit is in the engine rather than in on the road.
It's just a rule that takes a small amount of space that you can ignore.
When I look at the statblock for an orc it's put in pride of place as the fifth and sixth words. I read fast - and I shouldn't have to train myself to stop reading at word three or four. Which means this visual litter is taking pride of place.
Why do you want to take it away from those who have no problems with it? What did they ever do to you that you'd want to make the game worse for them?
I've said we can make it an optional rule. A rule that appears only within a single chapter that is basically a table would make it equivalent to feats.

For that matter treating it that way would do what you claim it does as a positive better - it would allow you to more easily find e.g. chaotic evil groups of monsters. So it would be actively better for your claimed use.

Having it where it is makes it worse for me. Why are you so keen on enforcing this "optional" rule in my statblocks. Why do you want to make my games and my enjoyment worse?

If it is in every statblock it is not an optional rule in the same sense as literally any other optional rule in the game - which is kept in its place so people who don't want it can ignore it.
That's not for you to say as a general statement like that. You can only say that for yourself and those of you in the minority that don't want to use it.
You mean those of you in a minority that want to use it?

Why the change is easy. 1) to justify a new edition. Few or no changes and people aren't going to invest money in the new books. 2) to differentiate WotC from TSR. They just bought the company and had to make themselves stand out as D&D.
Yes of course the new edition in which THAC0 was eliminated and Armour Class was reversed was justified by changing the alignment of orcs.

Riiiiight.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
[Citation needed]

The largest problem is the fluff it produces. Saying "Because there are no mechanics associated" doesn't deal with the fundamental problem that calling entire races evil is both weak and toxic worldbuilding.
What's wrong with fluff produced by using CG as a guide to roleplaying my character? What's wrong with the fluff produced as the DM by using alignment as a starting point for how I run NPCs and monsters that aren't important enough to warrant detailed write-ups?

Asnwer: Nothing.
It's in every single statblock. That's clutter. Especially as statblocks are intended to be stripped down to the things you actually use where the rubber meets the road. Your "two words" issue is like saying "it's only a lump of grit" conveniently ignoring that that grit is in the engine rather than in on the road.
So what. Ignore the clutter and move on. It's not clutter for the majority of us that use it.
When I look at the statblock for an orc it's put in pride of place as the fifth and sixth words. I read fast - and I shouldn't have to train myself to stop reading at word three or four. Which means this visual litter is taking pride of place.
Would it help to move it to the bottom? I mean, you're reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into it if you think that it's placement is some sort of location of pride, but whatever. since you're wrong about that, move it lower. You can be happy that it's shamed now, and we can still use it just the same as we always did.
I've said we can make it an optional rule. A rule that appears only within a single chapter that is basically a table would make it equivalent to feats.
It also has to be in the monster stat blocks so we can continue to use it for monsters without having to invent alignment for every monster we play with. In 30+ years of play with hundreds of players, not all of which liked alignment, not one of them was so upset by alignment that they had to stop reading when they got to it. Your personal issues with alignment are your own and have no business impacting the rest of us.
For that matter treating it that way would do what you claim it does as a positive better - it would allow you to more easily find e.g. chaotic evil groups of monsters. So it would be actively better for your claimed use.
How does one chapter in a book help me to know what alignment each monster is?
Having it where it is makes it worse for me. Why are you so keen on enforcing this "optional" rule in my statblocks. Why do you want to make my games and my enjoyment worse?
A minority of players have enough problems with alignment that they stopped using it. An EXTREME minority of you are so distraught by two words that you go to pieces and have to stop reading. You don't design a game around such an extreme minority of players.
If it is in every statblock it is not an optional rule in the same sense as literally any other optional rule in the game - which is kept in its place so people who don't want it can ignore it.
You keep saying that as if repetition can somehow alter reality and make it true. It won't ever be true. All it takes is. Orc - Alignment: Chaotic Evil(optional) and you are objectively wrong. Heck, you don't even need to do that. One sentence in the beginning of the MM stating that alignment is completely optional and you're wrong.

How about Eberron?
That's where I got my idea about Orcs in the setting.
Were they more Neutral there?
One of the many good things Eberron did was treated the alignment system with all the respect it deserved by subverting it. From memory the person most likely to restart the Last War is a good aligned Queen who believes in sharing the benefits and ruling justly - but that she's the person who deserves to rule and is therefore trying to do as much evil as anyone. Meanwhile the lawful evil vampire that faked his death and currently holds the throne by pretending to be his own grandson is currently in a subtle battle to disentangle the influence of the Blood of Vol from his country, meaning that despite being evil he's actually doing good.

There used to be a philosophical question "Is it possible for a good man to be a good king?" Eberron takes this complexity on head on whereas the orthodox D&D alignment system tries to paper over such complexities and nuances, making for poor worldbuilding and characterisation.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes of course the new edition in which THAC0 was eliminated and Armour Class was reversed was justified by changing the alignment of orcs.

Riiiiight.
Nice Strawman there. Clearly the context was in regards to rules changes. Alignment of orcs merely being one of them. And THAC0 wasn't removed. It was simply restated in a different way and made more appealing. The same math was present. Fighters got +1 to hit per level, just like with THAC0. The rest of the classes retained their THAC0 progressions, too.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

And it was pointed out that it looks like alignment for races of humanoids.might go away and the vast majority of posters are fine with that change, wasn't it?

You mean those of you in a minority that want to use it?

Someone somewhere responded to claims like that recently with some words of wisdom. What was it? Oh, here it is.

[Citation needed]

Remove ads