The Purpose of the + in Thread Titles

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
A minor notation here to say that "always" has different contextual inferences (as I see it). I think that there are times and places where a particular debate on a particular topic is in poor taste, e.g. it's probably not a good idea to debate different religious beliefs about the afterlife at someone's funeral. So in that sense it's not "always" up for debate.
Agreed. You put this better than I could have.
Alternatively, "always" can mean "perpetually" in the sense that certain topics can eventually become settled insofar as no one having a legitimate basis for questioning them. That I disagree with. No matter how virtuous/moral/sacred an idea may be, it is never beyond being examined, questioned, and debated.
Very much agreed.

Emoshin

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
1 is not a good option, as I noted elsewhere.

2 is something I very much disagree with - everything is always up for debate, even in those cases where one or more sides in said debate is demonstrably wrong.
Imagine a room with 10 people:
  • 5 of those people love a formal debate
  • the other 5 people hate formal debates
The debate-philes hear the debate-phobes discussing something, and they wade into their conversation on why something is demonstrably wrong. Why? Because the debate-philes are concerned about an "echo chamber" happening in the room and must act on it.

So the debate-phobes, having nowhere else to go, just leave the room.

Now you have a room with 5 debate-philes. The room is now an echo chamber for the advantages of debating.

How is that optimal?

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Likewise, @Lanefan didn't say that anyone "owed" him a debate.
I see very little daylight between that and
But a thread something like "5e D&D is the best RPG system ever! (+)" IMO deserves to have its + tag challenged all over the place

Now, I can see a difference between questioning an assertion, and asking for a debate, but the end result to the person it's being directed towards is largely the same.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Imagine a room with 10 people:
  • 5 of those people love a formal debates
  • the other 5 people hate formal debates
The debate-philes hear the debate-phobes discussing something, and they wade into their conversation on why something is demonstrably wrong. Why? Because the debate-philes are concerned about an "echo chamber" happening in the room and must act on it.
If the debate-phobes are such because they simply dislike having their stances and opinions challenged, even if-when such challenges are polite and reasonable, then I have no sympathy for them.

If however by "formal debates" you mean Robert's Rules and motions and points of order then yeah, I can see that. :)

Remove ads