The Purpose of the + in Thread Titles

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Yas Yes GIF by AIDS-Fondet

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So? Someone has a take you don't agree with, and the discussion in it won't be productive. Big whoop.

If you don't feel the ground rules are genuine, shouldn't you be choosing not to participate anyway?
Quite the opposite: in cases where it appears the (+) tag is being used in bad faith (i.e. non-genuine ground rules) I feel I and others should be sticking our oars in to challenge that usage.

Nobody's ever likely to complain about a thread something like "Help me beef up the Ranger in 5e (+)". That's an excellent use of the + tag in good faith, looking for positive ideas and suggestions on how to either fix a perceived issue in a game system or just make a class work a bit better in play

But a thread something like "5e D&D is the best RPG system ever! (+)" IMO deserves to have its + tag challenged all over the place; not because I happen to personally disagree with the premise but because the premise itself is an open-to-debate opinion and the + tag is being used as a weapon to squelch that debate.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Quite the opposite: in cases where it appears the (+) tag is being used in bad faith (i.e. non-genuine ground rules) I feel I and others should be sticking our oars in to challenge that usage.

Nobody's ever likely to complain about a thread something like "Help me beef up the Ranger in 5e (+)". That's an excellent use of the + tag in good faith, looking for positive ideas and suggestions on how to either fix a perceived issue in a game system or just make a class work a bit better in play

But a thread something like "5e D&D is the best RPG system ever! (+)" IMO deserves to have its + tag challenged all over the place; not because I happen to personally disagree with the premise but because the premise itself is an open-to-debate opinion and the + tag is being used as a weapon to squelch that debate.
But the forum literally has a way to challenge a + thread... You can start your own thread!

But also: who cares if someone is creating a + thread with an open-ended opinion? Just don't reply, don't read it, and move on. Or ignore them!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
1) You can have that debate in another thread. You just don't get to hijack a thread to have a debate that it wasn't intended to host.

2) Not everything must always be up for debate.
1 is not a good option, as I noted elsewhere.

2 is something I very much disagree with - everything is always up for debate, even in those cases where one or more sides in said debate is demonstrably wrong.

Reynard

Legend
But again, a + thread would only be a cudgel if you could not then go and start your own thread about your own ideas.

If I start a thread titled "Paladins Are Boring (+)" and you strongly disagree... Then either don't read that thread, or start your own thread called "Paladins Are Exciting (+)".
I guess I am at a bit of a loss as to why one would start a discussion thread on a topic they didn't want to discuss, other that the aforementioned validation.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
1 is not a good option, as I noted elsewhere.

2 is something I very much disagree with - everything is always up for debate, even in those cases where one or more sides in said debate is demonstrably wrong.
A minor notation here to say that "always" has different contextual inferences (as I see it). I think that there are times and places where a particular debate on a particular topic is in poor taste, e.g. it's probably not a good idea to debate different religious beliefs about the afterlife at someone's funeral. So in that sense it's not "always" up for debate.

Alternatively, "always" can mean "perpetually" in the sense that certain topics can eventually become settled insofar as no one having a legitimate basis for questioning them. That I disagree with. No matter how virtuous/moral/sacred an idea may be, it is never beyond being examined, questioned, and debated.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases