• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E The reasons to keep the rules 1e

diaglo

Adventurer
Spoony Bard said:
What I do not want is a bunch of posts arguing against the switch from 1e to 3e. If you want such a discussion, start a different thread please.

So here is the different thread.

Why do you think you should stay 1edADnD and not convert to the other newer editions?

Crothian

First Post
Because all the classic modules are 1e. Sure, they can be converted but the new games aren't built with these things in mind and the conversations can get all wonky. There is a simplisticity about 1e that works and works really well. Converting modules screws that up.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
diaglo said:
Why do you think you should stay 1edADnD and not convert to the other newer editions?

No minis, no battlemat. Easier to play without supporting materials.

Shame about those tables though.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I've never played 1e much. I played 2e for about a year and a half before 3e came out. A couple times during that time period we did a couple 1e one shot adventures (don't really remember them too well). So I really don't have any reasons to play 1e unless all my friends who I play with spontaneously decided to start a game.

I guess most people who played 1e extensively are gonig to say nostalgia or simplicity like Crothian just did.

There is a certain amount of nostalgia. The 1e books were so randomly organized that you could always find some weird tidbit tucked away in the middle of the DMG, for example.

The game was highly focused back then on just dungeon crawls. If all you care about is starting at the entry to the dungeon and ending at the exit, then you can dispense with all the rest -- skills, travel rules, vehicular combat, religions, etc. Just roll up a dwarf fighter and thrash some beasties.

werk

First Post
Crothian said:
Because all the classic modules are 1e. Sure, they can be converted but the new games aren't built with these things in mind and the conversations can get all wonky. There is a simplisticity about 1e that works and works really well. Converting modules screws that up.

Classic cars ran on regular, which you can not easily purchase now-a-days. While today's cars are not like yesterday's, many would say they are better in most ways.

I consider the conversion of D&D edition much like a new version of a car or operating system. If Windows 3.1 or '95 works fine, why aren't we all still using that?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
A quick reminder - please everyone make a special effort to keep on-topic in this thread.

If you can't think of any reasons to keep to 1e rules, then you don't need to post that here.

Regards,

Crothian

First Post
werk said:
Classic cars ran on regular, which you can not easily purchase now-a-days. While today's cars are not like yesterday's, many would say they are better in most ways.

I consider the conversion of D&D edition much like a new version of a car or operating system. If Windows 3.1 or '95 works fine, why aren't we all still using that?

Cars and computer games are RPGs or really even close. Converting between systems never works out right. Unless its okay for first level human fighters to start with a 23 strength?

Infiniti2000

First Post
diaglo said:
I think that the lack of a strong desire to learn a new system is likely the most common, though unspoken, reason. It's the reason that I'm not interested in, say, AE (or AU). If a group is happy with 1e and they are not particularly motivated to learn a new version, be it 2e, 3.0, 3.5, or anything else, why bother? So, you should stay with 1e if you don't think you'll gain any further enjoyment out of a newer version or that the cost in learning the new system is not deemed worth it.

Denaes

First Post
It's great to play 1e if you don't want to develop a character mechanically. Ability Scores aside, all of the characters of a class are the same. It opens up avenues to roleplay.

Of course that's also a reason not to stay with 3e for the same reason that 3e opens up avenues to roleplay

::shrugs::

If I have a choice I won't ever get roped into another 1e/2e(maybe with players options)/C&C game. Thats a part of gaming history I can do without.

Remove ads