D&D General The Resurrection of Mike Mearls Games.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm fairly sure he could start over, but it would also mean none of the existing mechanics, not just a name. :)
Isn't there something about not being able to copyright game mechanics? I'm no expert on it but remember reading aomething about this, might just be things like rolling dice.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Isn't there something about not being able to copyright game mechanics? I'm no expert on it but remember reading aomething about this, might just be things like rolling dice.
Yes, but...

I am not a lawyer, don't take this as statement of fact, just some things I've heard and would be glad to hear someone with actual knowledge talk about.

(a) My understanding is that "mechanics can't be copyrighted" has never been tested legally on more than "roll dice, move piece ahead, follow instructions" level. Are RPG mechanics complex enough they are a creative endeavor or otherwise fall outside of it? No one wants to pay lawyers to find out, especially a solo game designer with a Patreon vs. an established company with a legal department on salary.

(b) Regardless of copyright, he said WotC owns his output (such as a work-for-hire). There may be other, non-copyright ways he would not be allowed to use it without their permission/license.

mearls

Hero
Thanks for the support anyone! I was very pleasantly surprised to see that I already have subscribers and backers. Thanks so much!

In terms of owning stuff, it basically means that I could not take stuff released by WotC and try to revise it without their permission. Since I was an employee when I wrote it, the company owns it. There's nothing weird or sinister in that - it's standard practice in gaming.

All that said, my plans are to show off how flexible 5e can be and the sorts of things you can build with it. Spell slots and the class + sub-class approach to class design are just two paths among many.

Oh, and the weight thing - I'm about 30 - 40 pounds down from where I was when I was working on D&D. Plus, I now shave my head!

darjr

I crit!
Thanks for the support anyone! I was very pleasantly surprised to see that I already have subscribers and backers. Thanks so much!

In terms of owning stuff, it basically means that I could not take stuff released by WotC and try to revise it without their permission. Since I was an employee when I wrote it, the company owns it. There's nothing weird or sinister in that - it's standard practice in gaming.

All that said, my plans are to show off how flexible 5e can be and the sorts of things you can build with it. Spell slots and the class + sub-class approach to class design are just two paths among many.

Oh, and the weight thing - I'm about 30 - 40 pounds down from where I was when I was working on D&D. Plus, I now shave my head!
Awesome!

I remember a little skunkworks Starfrontiers and Gamme World things you ran at GaryCon. I’d love to see something similar.

Remove ads