D&D General The Resurrection of Mike Mearls Games.

dave2008

Legend
But the DCC warrior eats its lunch by not being limited to the few powers you pick, rather the warrior can do just about any combat maneuver you can imagine.
I'm going to disagree here. I assume you are talking about the Mighty Deeds mechanic,? IMO, one of its several issues is that is offloading all the class design to the player. Why this might work for some (like you) it is a heavy burden for others. I mean, my players can do whatever they imagine in 5e (and 4e before it) too, but they do have things they can fall back on if they need to.

Last edited:

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I'm going to disagree here. I assume you are talking about the Mighty Deeds mechanic,? IMO, one of its several issues is that is offloading all the class design to the player. Why this might work for some (like you) it is a heavy burden for others. I mean, my players can do whatever they imagine in 5e (and 4e before it) too, but they do have things they can fall back on if they need to.
The Mighty Deeds have fallbacks as well- there are a bunch of example mighty deeds provided that a player can stick to if they're not feeling creative/environment-interactive ;)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The Mighty Deeds have fallbacks as well- there are a bunch of example mighty deeds provided that a player can stick to if they're not feeling creative/environment-interactive ;)
Exactly. DCC provides a ton of detailed examples but leaves the choice to the player and their imagination / creativity. I much prefer the DCC setup to having a boring finite list of 5-10 things but you only pick 2-3 and that’s it.

dave2008

Legend
How? Unlimited creative freedom vs tiny curated list. Seem like opposites.
DCC does, from my brief research, provide both: they give you a curated list and the freedom to do what you want. So I am surprised you ask how it can be done.

Similarly, 5e provides both. You maneuvers or water masteries or cunning actions, etc. or simple skill checks. My players seem ask and I give them a DC (if needed). They have the freedom to do whatever they can imagine and a list of options they know will work.

I personally like how we do it in our 5e game because the DC (for a given "Deed") is fixed and you can see growth as the PCs level. Things that might have been hard to pull off at lvl 5 are trivial at lvl 15.

Remove ads