log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E The Rhyot Break - Chapter One: Endless White

McD

First Post
Rolin raises the crossbow, points it at the back of the remaining Korrud and squeezes the trigger. With a satisfying "thwak" the bolt flies from the bow and piercing through layers of leather buries itself between the Korrud's shoulder blades. Rolin smiles to himself at the sight of the bolt striking the Korrud scum.

 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

97mg

Explorer
The wolf facing Bria yelps in chilling pain and surprise, as a stream of frost and ice flys in upon a magical ray. The beast shivers and trembles, whines, and then stiff as a doornail falls sideways, thudding against the snow like a toppled ice carving. Thorin, somewhere out there hidden under an illusion, at least is having good ranged-attack luck.

Someone else is quite lucky too! As if from nowhere, a man dressed in what could only be prisoner's shaggy furs, has appeared on the cart near Gimlak, and before you can blink has skewered the last Korrud point blank, in the back!

The dwarf bellows a horrible scream in surprise, the pain unimaginable with a metal arrowhead lodged deep into tough and foreign flesh. You wait for him to topple, to fall on his face and slowly bleed out into the snow... but the brute is too determined to fight back! With a grimace on his face, knowing that the walls of death are closing in, he jabs his shortsword out towards Gimlak. Well, it seems with a bolt lodged in his behind the dwarf's movement is slowed, and the human foe easily maneuvers out of harms way.

Seeing their masters falling, having witnessed one of their pack downed in battle, the remaining wolves begin to snarl and show their teeth. Still very much animals of the wild, their next move is hard to predict.

The lone western wolf, chained by itself to a Korrud contraption, begins to pull on the reins, dragging the sled northwards. Oh, straight towards Zemryn! It seems the wolves attached to the sled that the newcomer Rolin is standing upon, have a similar idea. They begin to charge off northwards, trampling on a fallen Korrud and heading roughly in Bria's direction.

In the background, to the south, all can hear another Korrud following his friend's tracks right towards you. It is only a matter of time!

[sblock=Local Map]

Beings indicated in Black are dead. :.-(
[/sblock]
OOC: [sblock=Rolls]
K2 attack Gimlak: 1D20+3 = [7]+3 = 10
Wolf 1 Direction: 1D4 = [1] = 1
Wolf 2/3 Direction: 1D4 = [1] = 1
[/sblock]
Both sleds can move at approx 25' per round with one average weight rider. Each additional rider will halve their speed (so they are really only viable for one rider or one large load of supplies).

It isn't really obvious if the wolves plan to attack, or simply want to run away now that their masters appear beaten. Rolin, with a high enough animal handling check (1d20+0) I'll allow you "some" control of the sled you are in, if you want.

You all probably have two, maybe three rounds left before you'd guess the other Korrud might arrive.
 
Last edited:

daindarkspring

First Post
For Zemryn, the immediate threat was not the lone wolf, struggling forward with a sled meant to be carried by two. No, the threat was the remaining Korrud. Of course, she was biased. She despised the Korrud. Any excuse to attack one was an excuse she was going to embrace.

But the truth was that they needed to get moving. The other Korrud were getting closer!

Atemi...mother...Alyne...I am your vengeful spirit!

Taking several steps forward in the snow, Zemryn leaped to her left to avoid the oncoming wolf and went into a roll. If the wolf chose to try and take a nip at her, that was a justifiable risk. Coming up from the roll, she burst forward through the snow. Switching the crossbow to her left hand in mid stride, she pulled her shortsword free.

"Your death god awaits your limp corpse, Korrud dog!" She spat at the Korrud, sword beginning to rise in preparation for a strike.

<Moving 15' (movement halved) and then 'Helping' against remaining Korrud, who would be within 5', by taunting/distracting>
<I understand I may be provoking attack of opportunity from wolf>
 


Steve Gorak

Explorer
His resolve is strengthened by the help of his companions, Zemryn in particular. His strike missed, but with a slight feign, he slashed the Dwarf-dog as he pulls the sword back towards him, readying the next blow. He smiles as he sees more blood flow.

 

97mg

Explorer
Bloody and beaten, slashed and impaled, the Korrud groans his last ugly breath and falls lifeless into the snow.

Bria moves sideways and out of the way of a driverless sled then, as it passes. The wolf still attached appears to want what everyone else who stands desires. Freedom. Perhaps once safely away it might gnaw away the restraints, she considers. There is no point in pursuing it, unless her companions think otherwise.

Her eyes then flick across to the new escapee Rolin, stood atop a cart where two drooling and wild animals appear to await direction. She nods to this new man respectfully.

"We are thankful! Can you ride it?"

Looking around to ensure everybody else is safe and unharmed, she takes a deep breath, considering their next move.

"What say you friends? We can not outrun whoever is coming. But perhaps we have time to arrange our pursuer something of a welcome!"


She raises her dagger into the air with those words, and smiles. She too has reasons for revenge. But there is no time for greetings and pleasantries, or sharing of pasts. Not yet. Not while Korrud still come...
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Gimlak's heart is still pounding, but they all can breathe a bit, until the other Korunds come. After Bria's thanks to Rolin, Gimlak nods at the newcomer. He is now part of them, a brother in arms.

He then quickly assesses the situation, and glances at the dead dwarves for gear. He also eyes the sled that is moving away, in case it carries something that could be useful.

Gimlak then says: "I know how to ride these slays, I've done it more than I care to admit, when I was in the resistance." An idea is burgeoning in his mind. "I can try to draw the other Korund-dogs. I can go towards them, and feign that I am afraid, and turn back towards you, as you wait in ambush."

As he waits for the others to comment, he chops off a dead Korrund's arm, and then says without details, with a grin: "I suggest you do the same for the other wolves, get them used to Korrund flesh!". He then rushes to get the sled being carried away. When he gets to it, he throws the beast the piece of meat, to get its interest and cooperation, and turns the sled back.
 

daindarkspring

First Post
Zemryn smiled in the dark as the Korrud fell to the ground. They might escape with their lives after all!

Watching Gimlak chop an arm free and toss it to a wolf, she grimaced slightly. Leaving an enemy to be eaten by wolves or carrion birds was not out of the edicts of Atemi, but butchering a foe like a pig struck Zemryn as distasteful.

She looked over her shoulder, at the remaining sled that was heading towards Faenala and the Dragonborn. Hopefully they could corral it, as it might contain things they could use.

Then her eyes turned towards where the other Korrud were approaching. Gimlak was game for an ambush, and Zemryn agreed with the tactic. "We will make our stand here. Let the immortals decide our fate."

Especially you, Atemi!
 

97mg

Explorer
At full pace, the barbarian is able to catch the runaway sled. His offering of hideous Korrud meat gains the lone wolf's attention, glaring at it, licking his lips, and beginning to chew.

How much trust this has gained you with the beast is an uncertainty, though it looks like you could certainly control the contraption attached to it. Rolin's sled is likely to outpace Gimlak's of course, with twice the wolf-power.

[sblock="Sled control"]Performing any difficult maneuvers on these sleds (such as sharp turns or swinging weapons whilst controlling them), will boil down to your Dex and any Animal Handling success you have during these brief moments to "bond".[/sblock]
[sblock="Loot"]K1:
  • 1x Arm (Detached by Barbarian)
  • 1x Light Crossbow
  • 4x Crossbow bolts
  • 1x Short Sword
  • 15' of coiled Rope
  • 1x Leather Armor (Size = XS)
  • 2x Boots (One for each foot)
  • 1x Leather Backpack!
  • 3x Gold Pieces
K2:
  • 1x Light Crossbow (Rolin)
  • 7x Crossbow bolts
  • 1x Short Sword
  • 1x Dagger
  • 5x Deer Jerky Strips
  • 1x Leather Armor (Size = S)
  • 1x Silver Ring (Has inscription of a teardrop on it)
  • 2x Boots (One for each foot)
  • 1x Waterskin (Half empty)
[/sblock]
 

Imladir

Villager
For a couple of seconds, Faenala looked at the Korrud's body as it lay in the ground. Now that he was dead, she didn't care about him anymore. She was a bit ambivalent about the fleeing wolf though: it wouldn't be a danger, but it wasn't a resource either. Not that she could use that herself, she'd probably be bitten in short order.

She really wasn't liking the idea of a laying in wait, prepared or not though. No matter what, they would always be outnumbered, probably badly. Waiting was not a way to win anything, merely to chose how they died. Still... there was some truth in that they couldn't outrun the Korrud either, not even of they were to use one of the sleds considering how many of them there were.

The elf looked for a moment at Gimlak, apparently a bit disgusted by his...offer. She didn't say anything though, and simply walked to the sleds, to see if she could find anything interesting, more specifically things she could use for her spells.
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
OOC: animal handling check for the first sled: [roll0]


Gimlack grabs on to the one wolf sled, and returns to the rest of the group. There he approached the deat dwarves, and slashed two arms for the one that was still intact. He looks at his companions "Let me take the faster sled, I may need the speed" He then proceeds to feeding each wolf one arm. Seeing the disdain from some of his companions he adds "At least the Korrund dogs will do some good in their death!"

OOC: animal handling check for the second sled: [roll1], second check in case one is necessary per wolf [roll2]


Gimlak then takes the reigns of the second sled, and signals for a torch. "Can any of you light it for me?". Assuming this is feasible, he proceeds to tie it to the sled so he does not use his hands to hold it, and goes towards the noise. "Ready yourselves, if I don't come back, run!"

Gimlak then signals the wolves to go towards the noise.
 

daindarkspring

First Post
Zemryn scowled in disgust at the mutilation of the Korrud dead. It was not Atemi's way. But she understood the man's urges well enough. Kicking at the contents of the sled, she procured herself another short sword before setting her mouth in a firm line and removing a bloody leather armor and boots from a dismembered Korrud. Donning the bloodstained cuirass and ill-fitting boots, she scraped the swords against one another and lifted her eyes to the unforgiving and frozen sky.

"Atemi. Atami. Atemiri." It was the pre-battle chant of the Priestesses of Atemi. She had learned it young and she had learned it well.

She smiled darkly at Gimlak's advice. "If you do not come back, I will be joining your spirit as it flitters away to whichever immortal you pray to. We will be side by side for a short time, no doubt, until Atemi summons me and I leave you to join my kith and kin in the outer realms. Atemi protect and guide your blade, Gimlak."

Motioning for the others to find cover as well (no doubt they already were), Zemryn ducked behind the nearby tree, body tense and swords to her chest.

<Cast cantrip: Blade Ward>
<Add Leather Armor: AC now 15 (12+3dex>
 

McD

First Post
Rolin nodded to his new companions before setting about pilfering the spare crossbow bolts from the fallen Korruds and grabbing himself a dagger too. Taking up position behind a tree with Bria he turned and whispered "let's hope this works." A slight hint of a smile crossing his face as he loaded a new bolt into the bow.

He watched Gimlak head off towards the enemy and did his best to hide himself against the tree ready to spring into action when required and fight tooth and nail to keep his newfound freedom.
 

97mg

Explorer
Torch flickering in the wind, Gimlak's companions watch as the (clearly) barbarian man heads off into the darkness, alone. It seems till now, his plan has worked, the wolves more than happy to snack upon their master's flesh. Perhaps that is less of a reassurance on second thoughts, to Gimlak, being the new master and all.

The hairy pair tug him along, and mostly comply to the demands on the reigns. Its a bit lurchy and they lack the domesticated attitude of well trained horses, but aside from a few jolts along the way, he keeps them headed in a generally southwards direction.

With little more than dim light surrounding him, the sounds of the oncoming grow louder. The shout of a dwarven voice, commanding animals to hurry. The crack of a whip. Then ahead, forty feet away, he sees them. A sled pulled by row upon row of wolf. Six? And behind them the form of a Korrud.

"I hope ya found em' ya sniveling muttface!" He calls out with authority in his tone.

"And why the torch dulleyes? Afraid o' somethin'?"

Then he seems to shrug, and points to you with a firm finger.

"Lead the way! I shall follow!"

[sblock=Rolls]Insight: 1D20 = [1] = 1
Critical Fail! lolz[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

97mg

Explorer
"I desire so, too," Bria replies to Rolin, offering the man her name and a nervous smile as they wait.

"Which mine's luxurious accommodations did you escape from? Were they all as lucky as yourself? We took a great risk today... It worries me that we did not see you earlier. We are like prey out here, but if Gimlak is good to his word, and luck does a little more than just smile, then there will be less hunters at the end of it, and perhaps... some free souls."
 

Imladir

Villager
With a single word and a simple gesture, Faenala lit Gimlak's torch. She wasn't particularly approving of that plan, but not only it wasn't the right time for such a conversation, she didn't have much better to suggest. And it wasn't like it cost her a lot to light up a torch. In fact, after so many years in captivity she felt like using magic as much as she could, for no other reason than...she could.

After that, she put herself as far out of the way as she could manage: the previous skirmish had demonstrated pretty clearly that she was far from able to do much in those situations at the moment: between the fact that she didn't have what she needed for her most useful spells, and she seemed unable to even land a hit we the others...

She had briefly considered using some kind of illusion to mess with the Korruds, but while the visibility was low making it even harder for the slavers to realize what was going on...on this kind of terrain, she didn't have much to work with. So she simply waited, part of her hoping that their previous captors would never reach them...part of her wishing they would so that they could slit their throats.
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Torch flickering in the wind, Gimlak's companions watch as the (clearly) barbarian man heads off into the darkness, alone. It seems till now, his plan has worked, the wolves more than happy to snack upon their master's flesh. Perhaps that is less of a reassurance on second thoughts, to Gimlak, being the new master and all.

The hairy pair tug him along, and mostly comply to the demands on the reigns. Its a bit lurchy and they lack the domesticated attitude of well trained horses, but aside from a few jolts along the way, he keeps them headed in a generally southwards direction.

With little more than dim light surrounding him, the sounds of the oncoming grow louder. The shout of a dwarven voice, commanding animals to hurry. The crack of a whip. Then ahead, forty feet away, he sees them. A sled pulled by row upon row of wolf. Six? And behind them the form of a Korrud.

"I hope ya found em' ya sniveling muttface!" He calls out with authority in his tone.

"And why the torch dulleyes? Afraid o' somethin'?"

Then he seems to shrug, and points to you with a firm finger.

"Lead the way! I shall follow!"

[sblock=Rolls]Insight: 1D20 = [1] = 1
Critical Fail! lolz[/sblock]

Gimlak does not see the dwarf well, and he is concerned about the fact it is riding a six wolf sled. Is this because of status or huge strenght? He will find out soon enough. The Korrund did not seem to recognize him as a prisoner, so he signals his wolfs to take a wide turn, to approach his companions from the south west, so they can attack him from two flanks.

OOC: animal handling if required [roll0]
dex check if required [roll1]
 

daindarkspring

First Post
Zemryn's body tensed, her knuckles whitening as she gripped the handles of the shortswords tightly. She let her breath out slowly and evenly, forcing herself to calm despite the roaring of her quickened heart in her ears.

The sled was coming. She could hear the yapping of the wolves, the grinding of metal on snow. She glanced from her hiding place, seeing the two sleds approaching. The shape of Gimlak was unmistakable. Somehow, the man had managed to lure the Korrud right into their waiting trap.

Thank you, Atemi!

The armor she was wearing smelled foul, of blood and Korrud sweat. It disgusted her, and it drove her to do what she had to do so that she could cleanse herself and be free. Free of all of it. The cruel hands, the leering eyes, the growling voices and the dark words. The pain.

It was almost time. She hid the blades so that they would not gleam in some dim bit of torchlight.

"Atemi. Atami. Atemiri." The grace of Atemi was with her. She felt emboldened. Joyful even. A sharp pain, as familiar as a mother's voice, tore through her belly. Her teeth ground together as she endured the torment.

She bent into a crouch, her soggy boots finding purchase in the snow as she coiled like a spring ready to strike.

<cantrip: Blade Ward>
 
Last edited:

97mg

Explorer
The Korrud follows, reigns in one hand and occasionally from the other, he swigs on something within a wineskin as the sled slips across the snow.

Almost miraculously, he has chased Gimlak's tracks right into the jaws of a waiting trap!

"Eh?" The demihuman grunts, the beginnings of hard reality mixing with rough-as-guts wine and a desire for violence in his mind.

"Wha?"

He is surely stupid, this one, the pieces of a puzzle all around him to see. The cart he chases is torchlit and the form upon it is... well... unusual. Wait. Was that blood in the snow he just passed?

He turns his ugly head leftwards, and grits his teeth. The word that escapes his lips next is not fit for translation in a public place as this.

The Korrud may not be wise, nor insightful, but as the silently lurking party looks on they will see that he makes up for such losses, in the breadth of his shoulders and the thickness of his hide. His face, it bares more dark marks of tribal meaning than most others you have seen.

[sblock=Map]
[/sblock]


[sblock=Notes]His Insight critical fail has led him right into the trap :). All may take one round of surprise actions before we roll initiative. His AC is 14.[/sblock]


 

daindarkspring

First Post
The time is now!

Zemryn burst from around the tree, keeping low to the ground as she dashed in an arc that carried her first past the dead wolf and then right by the Korrud dead. She laughed lightly, an eerie and disconcerting sound that came across more as a keening howl in the darkness. Taking the shortswords, she scraped the blades together as she ran, calling forth Atemi as a witness and an ally.

"And now, you both shall die the death due to you!" She implied in her words that Gimlak was a Korrud, which with any luck would convince the Korrud that the man in the sled in front of him was not an enemy. "Come my brethen, raise the battle cry of Atemi. Atemi, Atami, Atemiri!" She made a point to gesture at some invisible force behind her, hoping to gather all of the Korrud's attention towards her.

Coming upon the Korrud from behind, Zemryn's swords gleamed like two flickering eyes in the darkness.

<Surprise action: Dash>
<Cantrip: Blade Ward>
<Initiative roll: 17 (in Rolz)>
 

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top