• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Rhyot Break - Chapter One: Endless White

Imladir

Villager
In most circumstances, Faenala would have ignored the wolf, simply glad she wouldn't have to try and avoid its teeth. But there and then... She was afraid it had been sent to carry news of they escape, something that would make their path to freedom that much harder to walk. So with a grimace, a single word and a few gestures, she targeted the wolf with a Ray of Frost: it wouldn't take it down, but hopefully it would keep it too busy to get away...and slow it down on top of it.

Sadly, maybe because she was a bit rusty, the ray failed to hit its target and exploded harmlessly in the snow a few feet away from the animal.

 

log in or register to remove this ad

97mg

Explorer
The dwarf facing Gimlak and Bria drops his sword at blood splattered and snow covered feet. A gurgling sound erupts from the Korrud’s throat as he clutches at his chest, warmth and life gushing from the barbarian's gift of a laceration like a deep red waterfall. Then he topples over, to spend his last breaths staring at a night sky and the faces of those whom his kind has oppressed.

But there's no time for a celebration, yet.

Swiftly moving in on the remaining dwarven scum, Gimlak’s next foe is ready for him. The little brute reflects the human man’s follow-up blow upon his sword. He smirks then, and makes a jab at Gimlak’s thigh, missing and poking at little more than thin cold air. That’s not to say he’s done yet though.

The dwarf yells out with every inch of his breath, gasping a little at the end once it's done.

“Over here!”

Rolin, still lurking somewhere behind the vicious melee in progress, senses on high alert, hears something else then. A short and stabbing shout in the distance, somewhere off to the south. More damned Korrud!

Meanwhile, Bria nervously backs up a little, having noticed some form of cold ray-type effect smash into the ground beside the stray wolf. The beast snarls angrily at her then, revealing a set of elongated white teeth like blades, mmm no ordinary wolf, before leaping at her.

The woman in white falls backwards into the snow as the animal’s weight topples her, biting at her left arm, tearing into fur and flesh.

“No! Argh!”

OOC: Bria has been knocked prone. Attacks against her are at advantage until she spends half her movement next round to stand up. Rolin’s next :)

[sblock=Round 1 Status]Round 1 Initiative:
Bria: 24 (-2HP & Prone)
Zemryn: 23
Gimlak: 13
Faenala: 12
Korrud Guard 1: 9 (-24 HP Dead)
Korrud Guard 2: 9
Released Wolf: 9
Rolin: 5
Thorin: TBA[/sblock]

[sblock=Rolls]K2 attack Gimlak: 1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9

W attack Bria: 1D20+3 = [12]+3 = 15

DC11 Strength Save: 1D20+1 = [4]+1 = 5

Wolf Damage: 1D6+1 = [1]+1 = 2
[/sblock]
 

tglassy

Adventurer
Thorin draws the cool energy within him, focusing it at the wolf ahead as he hides in his snow illusion.

OOC: Initiative (whoops) [roll0]
Ray of Frost: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
 

McD

First Post
Rollin's eyes lit up when he saw the Korrud closest to him drop the crossbow on his sled before advancing to meet the other group, given the lack of available options he figured making a dash for that weapon would be his best bet.

He approached quickly and quietly and once within a short enough distance charged towards the sled and made a grab for the crossbow.

OOC: Find improvised weapon: _: 1D100 = [86] = 86
So I didn't find a rock or stick

Assuming I make my run from just within 15'
 

97mg

Explorer
Bria found herself beneath the smell of a carnivore’s breath, and sandwiched between the cold softness of snow and the heat of a large animal.

“No! Off, off!”


She rolled to her left, struggling away from the wolf that was making ready to maul her. Once free, she rose to stand, arm dripping blood from the beast’s teeth marks, as she swept at it with her dagger.

The blade sunk deep into the animal’s flesh, the wolf howling and whimpering in agony. Blood. So much blood. She must have sliced it close to an artery!

There was no time to look around at the others, or wonder how young Gimlak was going. The wolf wasn’t quite dead yet, and with a taste of blood on it's lips it would be coming back for more.

In the cart behind Gimlak’s foe, a half elf has sneakily clambered in and grabbed a crossbow. Nobody has seen Rolin yet, as they are preoccupied with battle.

The sounds to the south grow in volume. All can hear now the cracking of whips and Korrud shouts coming closer.

The Korrud before Gimlak smiles, reassured that help is on the way...

OOC: Bria rolls: Bria attack Wolf: 1D20+6 = [20]+6 = 26 Bria damage: 2D4+4 = [4, 3]+4 = 11
Round 2:
24 Bria (-2HP)
23 Zemryn
13 Gimlak
12 Faenala
10 Thorin
9 Korrud Guard 1 (-24 HP Dead)
9 Korrud Guard 2
9 Released Wolf (-11HP)
5 Rolin
 
Last edited:

daindarkspring

First Post
Zemryn did not waste time celebrating the death of the Korrud, but instead leveled a bolt at the wolf, who seemed sorely wounded. To finish it off would leave them only one foe!

But alas, a drift of snow from the tree above her fell on her arm as she fired. Were the very trees aligned with the Korrud scum?!

<9 to hit. Miss>
 



tglassy

Adventurer
OOC: I have found that Rat of Frost almost never actually hits its target. Thorn will try to hit the wolf as well.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Success! Finally!
 


Remove ads

Top