• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Risen Goddess (Updated 3.10.08)

(contact)

Explorer
Re: Re: 66- "I've got friends in low places . . ."

That Guy in Disguise said:
Questions:
The 'first sword' guy - he can;t really be all that better than Taran, right? Maybe he has 1-3 BAB on him, but there's only so many levels you can have. Was there anything that made him so fearsome?

An assload of feats? Taran is about 3 BAB points off a standard fighter, and I'm guessing that the First Sword was higher level than Taran as well. My DM said, "you've never seen a faster or better fighter than this guy". Had he made some saves, we might have had an opportunity to find out just how buh-dass he really was.

I don't think Taran could have stood up to him in a one-on-one fight buck-naked and armed with rocks and sticks, but Arunshee's Kiss is a freaking nasty weapon, and once he's buffed up, I'd take Taran over any fighter of his level, easy.

If Khuumar's player (that's you, (contact), right?), getting a kick out of the role reversal -> Kyreel?

Absolutely. Khuumar is a bastard of the first order. He's making Taran look like a soft-hearted sweetie. He is evil, to be sure, and swinging the party's moral disposition strongly to the South. They've found the evil guys more hospitable than the good guys so far in the realms.

I am a little unsure of the 'sides' in the Final battle.

Side A) Matron Mother, First Sword.

Side B) Nathe

Side C) The Cleric, Wizard and Assassin

Side D) Khuumar

Side E) Taran and Nathe

Side F) Taran and Thelbar

Last edited:

Ruined

Explorer
Great interaction with Khelban, (contact). I'm in the midst of reading the story from the beginning, and it is excellent. I'm on ch. 33 now, whittling it away.

(contact)

Explorer
67-Swimming Upstream

Taran punches Khuumar square in the mouth, his knuckles scraping across the interior face-guard of Khuumar's helm, ripping a gash in his hand. Khuumar stumbles back, a confused expression on his face.

"That's for Nathè , and you're on notice," Taran says, pointing his bloody finger at the drow. "Next time, you better learn who the real enemy is, or it won't be just my hand you get."

"It's a wonder your mother didn't just eat you when you were born, Tar-Ilou," Khuumar says with a sneer. "You're so . . . simple."

"I thought you were going to say 'whipped'," Taran says.

"That, too," Khuumar admits. "You know, you're right about Nathè , I think." Khuumar affects his best pious expression. "If I could do it over . . . I'd just kill her and sell the swords."

Taran jumps on Khuumar, and the two go to the ground before Thelbar strikes Taran across the back with his staff. "Stop it. Both of you," he demands. "Now clean up, relax and be back here by sundown-- our business is not finished."

Of course, Taran and Khuumar's business is not finished either. A few minutes after they leave Thelbar, with Juron, Glim and about thirty silent drow in attendance, Taran and Khuumar are stripped to the waist, fist-fighting in the forest snow.

The match is surprisingly even, and despite Khuumar's unfamiliarity with beating people who aren't bound hand and foot, he holds his own. Taran's rugged and concise boxing style is counter-pointed by Khuumar's long, loping swings. The drow takes the worst of the fighting at first, but soon, one of his haymaker punches connects-- Taran's legs wobble slightly and he is forced onto the defensive.

Juron and Glim cheer. The drow watch quietly.

Khuumar cannot take advantage of his opening, and a few seconds later, Taran is back on the press, using head-butts and finger-gouges to great effect. He staggers Khuumar with a severe whip-like body shot, and before you can say "my henchmen just lost 40 gold pieces", Khuumar is on the ground. Taran keeps pummeling the drow even as he falls backwards, battering him into unconsciousness.

Once Khuumar is down, Taran stands over him, and slaps him lightly until he wakes up. "Hey, Khuumar," Taran says. "Hey, wake up." Once Khuumar sits up, and he can follow Taran's finger with his eyes, Taran says, "You're a bastard, and that's what you get for talking bad about Nathè."

"She's no damn good," Khuumar says through a mouth-full of cuts, just now beginning to swell. "None of them are, Taran. I'm doing you a favor, you simpleton."

"You suck, Khuumar!" Juron yells.

"Yeah!" Glim agrees. "Nice dive, you bum."

-----

When they arrive back at the party's temporary quarters, Thelbar has laid the bodies of the fallen drow out on a large stone tablet. Stone grooves cut into the rock drain away the last of the blood from the now-cold corpses. The bodies have been stripped of magic and treasure, all relevant items set neatly aside.

Thelbar glances at the two mangled fighters as they enter. "Who won?" he asks.

"Who d'yhou thonk whun?" Taran asks indignantly, through the working side of his mouth.

"You look like a Calvary charge ran you over." Thelbar says.

"Yeh, bhut thook at him!" Taran says, pointing to Khuumar.

Thelbar cures both combatants, muttering to himself all the while. The adventurers review the looted magic items, their most likely function, and determine if any of the three of them are interested. It is a rich haul indeed. Bracers of blinding strike are the most valuable single item, but surprisingly, they go unclaimed. "I bet Gorquen would love those," Thelbar says. "We should take pains to share this treasure with those of our faith. After all, it will do the Goddess no good in the coffers of Thay."

Taran nods and looking over the loot says, "You know something, killing guys is like getting a free birthday. This is my present from my sword, and I'll pretend this one is from Khuumar, to say 'thanks' for kicking his ass."

"F-ck you, Tar-Ilou," Khuumar says.

Suddenly, the two arguing men are silenced by a rare stillness that seems to radiate out from a point, and fix all three adventures with a profound calm. The moment stretches into an eternity, and is gone as quickly as it came. Kyreel stands before the bodies of the fallen drow, ignoring the trio of adventurers behind her. All three heroes lower their eyes, without thinking. The goddess still wears Kyreel's adventuring robe, stained at the hem with the blood of those who opposed her rebirth.

"My most faithful," Arunshee says. "So dark, so sad." After a moment, she gestures to Matron Banare's blasted corpse. "Look upon your goddess, your mother." The Matron Mother sits up suddenly, as if waking from a frightful dream-- her most mortal damage is healed, but her other wounds are not. Blood begins to rush anew from her cuts and seep through her burned and blackened skin. She winces for a moment, then looks her goddess in the eye. The Matron Mother falls to her hands and knees before Arunshee with an expression of abject terror on her face.

"Great Goddess forgive my failings," she sobs. "I have never known you."

Arunshee turns away from the old drow woman. "You must find the forgiveness yourself Heshalth, for I do not absolve sin. Spend the rest of your long life thinking about your evil. Only when you are at peace with yourself may you be at peace with me. Until that time I forbid you from using either spell or weapon upon pain of eternal suffering and damnation. May you have every opportunity to succeed; if you are diligent, perhaps I shall someday give you the pasoun. If you fail, woe to your immortal soul."

Arunshee turns to the three adventurers. "Know this, and tell it to all. Any who raise a hand against my daughter Heshalth raise a hand against me. Fear her as you would fear me, and spare her nothing that may help her become well."

Taran steps forward, and touches Nathè's corpse. "Aunt," he pleads. "I love her."

Arunshee regards him with a knowing smile. "You would dash a seedling against a rock, Tar-Ilou, but I would deny you nothing this day. So be it." And with that, Nathè opens her eyes, well and strong and full of womanly vigor.

"Does Tenebrous believe he can stand against us?" Arunshee gestures, and the remains of the four dead drow vaporize into a fine, slightly acidic mist.

"Aunt, can I ask you something?" Taran says.

"You make a false distinction."

"What? I mean, I do? I was going to ask you about attacking the adventurers who sacked our house. Would it be right? They are good, not evil."

"What is good or evil? In the pasoun, such divisions are moot. There are those who are of us, and those who struggle against us."

"Yeah," Taran says. "Oh, yeah." He smiles widely. Arunshee touches his cheek, and heals the lingering marks from his recent fighting.

"My eyes will be upon you at all times," she says. At that moment, a statue of Arunshee appears directly next to the artifact of Palatin Eremath. "And this shall be my home. Attend me, now. A thousand mortal deaths are preferable to my disappointment." And with that, she disappears.

The former Matron Mother begins to cry.

"She's do different," Khuumar says softly. "And yet, the same."

"And she likes me better than you," Taran whispers directly into Khuumar's ear. "So watch your ass and don't ever give me another reason, or next time I'll send you back to the last goddess you sold out."

Taran scoops Nathè into his arms, and twirls her around the room. "I brought you back, baby!" he chirps. "Let's dance!"

incognito

First Post
Taran scoops Nathè into his arms,...

"Whoa! Nathè, is that a dagger in your bodice or are you just glad to sneak attack me?"

Also, I like Khuumar more, and more. Takes a Taran beating, and is still "That chick is no good, dude." What kinds of balls-y statement is it to say "If I could do it over . . . I'd just kill her and sell the swords." :) Sweeeeet.

On the other hand, more anti-Palatin momentum:

"What is good or evil? In the pasoun, such divisions are moot. There are those who are of us, and those who struggle against us."

[snip]

"My eyes will be upon you at all times," she says. At that moment, a statue of Arunshee appears directly next to the artifact of Palatin Eremath. "And this shall be my home. Attend me, now. A thousand mortal deaths are preferable to my disappointment." And with that, she disappears.

emphasis mine - but WTF is up with Arunshee usurping P-E's highest leveled champions. Is the name of this story hour Champions of the Risen Goddess, or Champions of the...oh wait...there are a lot of geddesses rising lately...

Last edited:

(contact)

Explorer
Blarg-Ilou!? lol :D

"Whoa! Nathè, is that a dagger in your bodice or are you just glad to sneak attack me?"

:D It's a dagger.

Also, I like Khuumar more, and more. Takes a Taran beating, and is still "That chick is no good, dude." What kinds of balls-y statement is it to say "If I could do it over . . . I'd just kill her and sell the swords." Sweeeeet.

Khuumar's fun. Khuumar vs. Nathe is something to see.

but WTF is up with Arunshee usurping P-E's highest leveled champions. Is the name of this story hour Champions of the Risen Goddess, or Champions of the...oh wait...there are a lot of geddesses rising lately...

It kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it? Champions of the Risen Goddess -- that's what it says on the door . . .

(contact)

Explorer
Chapter 68

68—Passing a long winter, in the heart of cold.

The day after Arunshee’s appearance, the magic items taken from the drow wizard disappear. Thelbar had set them aside for special study, but sometime in span of a few hours, they vanished into thin air. Or back into the arms of their master.

“Surely he had a clone,” Thelbar postulates. “No doubt he has set himself up as the new lord of Menzoberranzan.” The Matron Banare, now known to the world as Heshalth, refuses to comment on the matter. She slips into a deep depression, and while her wounds are slowly and painfully healed using mundane means (as magic is forbidden to her), she goes silent, and accepts no visitors.

Several weeks pass uneventfully, then a messenger brings a pair of replies to the letter. Elgin Trezler writes simply that he wishes to speak of the matter in person, come the Spring. Jumdash Dir is more direct. He writes (sic):
  • The only reperation you will have from me is at the tip of my blade. Repent or be destroied.
“Fair enough,” Taran says. He and Khuumar begin planning an attack on the Abbey of Swords, and train a hand-picked drow strike-force for the assault.

Ilwe summons Thelbar into a meeting, and shares some disturbing news. Shelveras, the drow deity known as “The Black Bow” has joined the fight against the Eremathan pantheon. Shelveras is a young god by elven standards, newly made for his dedication and zeal against the drow. He is an archer god, like Solonor Thelandira, but he is no god of the woodland. The Black Bow hunts in the Underdark, and his followers swear undying enmity and genocidal warfare against all dark elves. As a true elven supremacist, it surprises no one that he would see Arunshee’s return and the drow reclamation of the Far Forest as the blackest artifice and an affront to all elvenkind.

Nathè gets along miserably with the rest of the group, provoking some ugly scenes with Khuumar and Gorquen in particular. She comments one day on Gorquen’s armor—the suit Gorquen took after defeating the Matron Mother’s Sword when the Mother attempted to steal away the infant Arunshee. Ironically, it was Gorquen’s defeat of the First Sword that earned Nathè her promotion, but if the drow woman knows any gratitude, she keeps it hidden away deep within her heart, guarded by taunts and barbs.

“I’d love to smite her,” Gorquen mutters after one such encounter.

“Get in line behind me,” Khuumar says.

Taran and Nathè set themselves up with accommodations far from the others where their loud lovemaking and even louder arguments will disturb no one. Taran’s mood gradually blackens, and he begins to long for Spring.

As a counterpoint, Gorquen and Ilwe’s relationship blossoms into a true romance, warming the hearts of their companions and even softening Gorquen’s temper to a degree. They truly seem to enjoy one another, and spend long hours planning their next adventures, come first thaw.

And, like it must, first thaw eventually arrives. But with it comes further disturbing portents. A huge dwarven army takes to the march, abandoning their halls in the Silver Marches, and heading South at a prodigious pace. Taran leads a delegation out to assess their intent, and is told that they march on Cormyr, to seize a site there proscribed by their father-god Moradin, and prevent all entry, come armies or the legions of Hell. Their priests tell them that Moradin himself has ordered this thing, and they can follow no other course but obedience.

This bodes poorly for the Silver Marches, as dwarven strength was a key component holding back the orcish forces in the region. Without their dwarven allies, things look grim for the human and elven settlements just North of the high forest.

Thelbar broods over this news, and states that this dwarven abandonment will signal the collapse of the Silver Marches. The area is governed by a loose confederacy of humans and elves in the towns of Silverymoon, Everlund, Sundabar and Nesme. King Obuld Many-Arrows and his orcish hordes are bolstered by giants and are certainly bent on conquest. Without the buffer of the Silver Marches the far forest is assured of having its enemies both within, and without.

----

The date set out by the letter fast approaches, and Taran and Thelbar determine to hear out Elgin Trezler and determine his intentions before moving against Jumdash Dir and Enae Enhallo. Taran proposes this strategy:

“What if we go one step further, and actually give aid to Enae in defending Cormyr? Certainly the dwarves from the East who have allied themselves with Sembia are after the same thing the Northern Dwarves are. If their assault can be blunted, and turned back, even Moradin won’t need a whole army to protect the place, and some of those dwarves can come back to fight for their home. We can undercut both troubles at once, forestall an orcish takeover, and make an ally of Elgin Trezler in the process. With Elgin in our debt, what ground will those other bastards have to stand upon? We will have proven our good intent, and as everybody knows, it’s damn hard to assassinate the character of bonafide war heroes.

“And why couldn’t we stop this war? Hell, if we’ve learned anything the last few months it’s that you can really wreck anybody's carefully crafted plan if you just start at the bottom, and kill your way up.”

Thelbar applauds this idea, and they determine to travel to Cormyr immediately. “Without Khuumar and Nathè,” he adds.

Taran says, “Good idea. Gods know what kind of trouble they’d get us in to, and an adventure without any damn drow in it would be like taking a vacation.”

Thelbar mentions the young woman Lilline, the widow Taran gifted his treasure to after being touched by the diary discovered on her husband’s corpse in Undermountain. She lives in Arabel, just a short overland trek from Suzail and Elgin Trezler. He scrys her, and spies her discussing fabrics with her eldest son in a quaint store-front.

They teleport to the site, careful to remain invisible until they can exit the building. Then, the invisibility is dispelled, and they walk into the shop, which they now see belongs to a rug merchant. Lilline is in fact the merchant in question, and after an astonished greeting, she explains that she has parleyed the gold Taran gifted her with into a prosperous business.

Taran introduces his brother, and Thelbar compliments her on her business acumen.

She seems somewhat suspicious of the brothers' new otherworldly appearance, as the favor of Arunshee radiates off of them, giving them a celestial quality, and marking them as something slightly other than fully human.

Taran speaks with her young son, and encourages him to pursue his dreams of becoming a great knight some day. “You could be a Purple Dragon,” Taran says. “But you have to remember—what is the most important trait of any knight?”

“His strong sword-arm!” the boy squeals.

“No, guess again,” Taran says.

“His . . . mount?”

“No, child. A true knight must always have his integrity. If he is honest, fulfills his promises, and strives to protect others, the gods will bless him with a strength that cannot rust, and will never be lost. Do you understand?”

The boy assures Taran that he does, and Taran gives him another sack of gold. “Give this to your mother once we have gone, with our blessings. And always remember, your father fought for the good at all times. He never ever did anything wicked, and he was obedient to his parents. You must strive to do the same.”

As they leave the shop, Thelbar cynically comments that it will be a miracle if the boy doesn’t rush out and spend the gold on masterwork adventuring equipment before the sun is even down.

“Well hell,” Taran objects. “Don’t you wish someone had given us three thousand gold pieces to gear up with when we were starting out? Remember my crappy sword, and that creaky leather armor I used to tear around in?”

“That was armor?” Thelbar says. “I thought you were just naturally filthy.”

“Cheap shot, brother. I remember the spell book that you had to rescue from the camp-fire and how you kept the cover on with spit and a prayer. A little gold is a good thing for a boy. At least he won’t get killed because he can’t afford to cover his head.”

Last edited:

Remove ads