The Romance of the River Kingdoms

Dr Simon

Explorer
I'm a little confused about hp vs grace...but I'll figure that out tomorrow

Don't worry about it - the difference has never significantly come up, so I'm going back to all hit points. The rule comes from Book of Experimental Might but it seems to be a pain for book-keeping in PbP.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
It looks like the game may not have been quite as stingy as it first appears. I started looking at th othe characters with an eye to building a connection into Chaarr's background, and noticed a couple of things.

First, there're some really good hooks in there! I still need to read through the threads a little, but Chaarr should be able to find a connection or two. This is about what I expected, given my previous experiences with Neurotic, WD and Shayuri :D.

Annika and Growling Ape are listed at level four and look to have have pretty meagre equipment for their level, but Mystal's still listed at level three and is carrying around about 7500 GP worth of equipment.

I'm not asking for more! Just pointing out that Dr. Si's recollection prob'ly wasn't that far off. Shayuri says the game is well balanced for the characters as they are, and I've got Chaarr pretty well set up with his 1000 GP. Plus, a low magic game will be nice I think - it should put more emphasis on the characters and less on the equipment, which will be cool!

Dr Simon

Explorer
I think a lot of that equipment on Mystal's sheet is "wish list"; Neurotic originally built the character at a higher level, using level appropriate wealth. Rather than delete it I think he just marked most things with a dash.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
[MENTION=29558]Mowgli[/MENTION], misunderstanding:
lines:
--Gloves of Dexterity +2 (4,000 gp, +2 Dexterity enhancement),
--Cloak of Resistance +1 (1,000 gp, 1 lb., +1 resistance on saving throws),
--Handy Haversack(2,000 gp, 5 lbs)

are commented out (as in I would like to have those (like with maneuvers that I don't have, but plan on taking os they are listed but marked like that)

Mystal has no magical equipment save 1 Potion of Cure Light Wounds (50 gp, heals 1d8+1 hit points) and
2 sunrods (from Vashti)

EDIT: Ninjaed by DM! :)

ahayford

First Post
Also, Glip is far from optimized from a mechanics standpoint....I had the image of a shield fighter, sort of like a gladiator, but not quite so dirty and more militaristic. If anyone has better suggestions for feats, I'm open to suggestions. I also wanted him to be kind of primitive, hence the shell weapons. Since they are liable to break, I wanted to give him the skills to repair/craft new equipment when needed. I'll be working a bit more on his background, is there a time frame you'd like Mowgli and I to jump in?

Shayuri

First Post
Well, I totted up what the other characters have got and it probably doesn't amount to more than 1000 gp each, including starting money! I didn't realise that this campaign was quite so stingy. There is treasure to be found, they just seem to have missed a lot of it!

How is that possible? We haven't been fleeing encounters or anything. What did we miss?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Also, Glip is far from optimized from a mechanics standpoint....I had the image of a shield fighter, sort of like a gladiator, but not quite so dirty and more militaristic. If anyone has better suggestions for feats, I'm open to suggestions. I also wanted him to be kind of primitive, hence the shell weapons. Since they are liable to break, I wanted to give him the skills to repair/craft new equipment when needed. I'll be working a bit more on his background, is there a time frame you'd like Mowgli and I to jump in?

I was taking somewhat the same approach - I'm picturing Chaarr as a traveling blacksmith and arms & armor craftsman, his Mystery giving him special insight into the forging of steel. Investing a lot of skill points in those three craft skills rather than things that might be more immediately useful, and a good deal of his meager cash in Artisan's tools.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Some things:

Traits - when we originally converted I don't think traits were around to the degree that they are now. Everyone (older characters included) may choose two. I think most are applicable to Conclave. A possible Conclave-y one would be "Classical Education" which would grant Speak High Imperial and a +1 bonus to Know (history), although probably not applicable to, well, any of the characters!

Treasure - Shayuri, offhand I'm not sure, but there are still some leads as yet unfollowed so I may be thinking of that.

Non-optimized characters - to a certain extent I try to tailor things a bit to the characters so there may be chances to use the unusual skills, and conversely I'm not averse to players coming up with unusual solutions to problems.

Starting new characters - if you are ready you can go ahead and post your character's arrival in the IC thread. At the moment the existing characetrs are at a lull, resting at the narvinda.

(Just to make some things explicit, The Narvinda Manrupashnar is a kind of secular temple complex. A narvinda is specifically a type of temple complex in the mountainous land of Ut'Bharma, home to Shaolin-like monks, but the term has been adopted to any similar kind of place of meditation and learning. Manrupashnarwas a sage/philosopher who lived about 500 years ago; she taught a way of living based on charity, humility, understanding, humour and other such things.

"Vashti" is an honourific specific to Cormondal, referring to the senior priestess of the narvinda. Cormondal has an ancient tradition of river-worship, and the modern Vashti combines elements of Manrupashnan philosophy with some of the old river cult. Although the narvinda is staffed mainly by women, it is by no means a nunnery. Men are allowed, and although some of the members of the community have taken vows of poverty, chastity and the like it is by no means compulsory.

These have been hinted over the years, but I don't think I've ever spelled it out fully.)

Remove ads