D&D General The Satanic Panic never really died?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
If D&D magic were real, gamers wouldn't still be relatively low on the social hierarchy. We'd be ruling the world.

We do rule the world now... even action movie stars play D&D now ;)

So maybe it is real... unfortunately it's just the magic of unlocking your imaginations. Bummer. :p

Oofta

Legend
Sadly, some people seem to think that reading anything other than their chosen religion's texts is the road straight to hell.

2019-09-05.png

Bawylie

A very OK person
Sincerely held religious beliefs are fine, so long as they don't contradict objective reality. Belief that D&D teaches you actual spellcraft and satanic rituals is not about religion.
Which religions don’t hold beliefs about the supernatural? Which of those beliefs do not “contradict objective reality”? How about values? How much tolerance can you objectively sift out of the universe and weigh/measure? Fairness? Compassion? Justice?

Is it ok to ridicule someone for not knowing that d&d is a game of make-belief silliness? How much ridicule is permissible? Is that ridicule constructive and likely to bring anyone to a good mutual understanding?

Undrave

Legend
Which religions don’t hold beliefs about the supernatural? Which of those beliefs do not “contradict objective reality”? How about values? How much tolerance can you objectively sift out of the universe and weigh/measure? Fairness? Compassion? Justice?

Is it ok to ridicule someone for not knowing that d&d is a game of make-belief silliness? How much ridicule is permissible? Is that ridicule constructive and likely to bring anyone to a good mutual understanding?

I don't think anyone who thinks Chick Tracts are a good source of information is open to constructive arguments from someone not part of their SPECIFIC and narrowly defined Faith.

Besides, I'm not seeing anyone making fun of her so much as sharing talks of Satanic Panic and making jokes about DnD being a bad teacher of magic...No one said anything and you literally came in to play the victim card for this woman...

Sacrosanct

Legend
We do rule the world now... even action movie stars play D&D now ;)

So maybe it is real... unfortunately it's just the magic of unlocking your imaginations. Bummer. :p

Hmmmm....I don't think a handful of actors admitting they play D&D suddenly means we've taken over the world. How many action stars/famous people don't play rpgs?

Bawylie

A very OK person
I don't think anyone who thinks Chick Tracts are a good source of information is open to constructive arguments from someone not part of their SPECIFIC and narrowly defined Faith.
Do you think that some people’s bad actions justify yours?

Undrave

Legend
Do you think that some people’s bad actions justify yours?
I don't think the mods would appreciate me going on about Religions any further. I think it's fine that she's concerned for her daughter's immortal soul but I think it's silly she takes Chick Tracts seriously.

Let's leave it at that.

Let's just consider how you can explain DnD in a way that makes it less scary.

"DnD is just nerds waving numbers at each other, arguing the difference between Wisdom and Intelligence and then getting mad at pieces of coloured plastic for coming up on a low number."

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Reply to OP.

Yes, there are still people who think D&D is satanic.

I know several.

Heck, fully half of the players in one of my D&D campaigns were (during their childhood anyway) forbidden by their parents from reading literally every single work of fiction.

Celebrim

Legend
“Hey everybody! Get a load of this concerned mother’s sincerely held religious beliefs! Guess she didn’t get the memo that the 1980s are over HA HA!”

Classy.

Now do Islam.

I'll wait for it.

I was going to join twitter just to give her some advice from a personal perspective, but it seems the community actually has it covered well.

Meanwhile, EnWorld....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads