• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Seas of Blood - The Price of Fame (Chapter One)

Bront

The man with the probe
Captain Swoops replies "Once Ramses returns, we shall head north. I have heard wind that a merchant ship called the Waverunner sails freely due to paying Captain Fontain protection money, but our dear captain will be south, so we should be able to make an easy interdiction of our own."

He turns to Bart with a grin "That is, of course, assuming Captian Smith there doesn't have any appearances he needs to make."

IcyCool

First Post
Bront said:
He turns to Bart with a grin "That is, of course, assuming Captian Smith there doesn't have any appearances he needs to make."

A smile cracking his own features he says, "Well Cap'n, he's wanted fer piracy and other acts most foul in the Courts of Plegis. If'n he dae na' show within 30 days, I suspect he'll have a bounty on 'is 'ead." At this Bart winks to the crew, "'Course, we're all guilty o' piracy and acts most foul, so 'e fits right in says I!"

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Ramses Waveborne

Siren wheels overhead as Ramses walks the streets alone. Squeeks is running along the walls keeping his companion in sight. The torchlight casts a shimmering glow against his skin. "Why would we do this? It sounds like something that's far to dangerous. I'll not go 'gainst Cap'n Swoops but I have my worries."He thinks to himself as he walks up the gangplank and breaths the salt air of mother ocean.

Phoenix

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Lukda shakes her head slightly at that.

"I'm headed back to the ship," she tells Phineus, "to watch out for sabotage. I think to trust in the honour of a pirate, gentleman or not, is the height of foolishhardiness."

Though her lemon satin gown would suit 'swishing' far better, Lukda's exit from the Dyke and Wheelbarrow could only be described as 'striding'.

[sblock]Search check (DC hidden) +18 - Failure <?>
[/sblock]

Lukda after a swift walk back to the ship, towing behind a drunken cook. Lukda begins her search of the ship, listening vaguely as the Captain and the rest of the crew arrive. It seems that the ship is in order, however a complete search may take hours to perform by herself.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Phoenix said:
Lukda after a swift walk back to the ship, towing behind a drunken cook. Lukda begins her search of the ship, listening vaguely as the Captain and the rest of the crew arrive. It seems that the ship is in order, however a complete search may take hours to perform by herself.

"Nothing obviously wrong at first glance, Cap'n," Lukda reports. "Still don't trust that 'overly agressionive action' rule, though."

Bront

The man with the probe
Captain Swoops gathers the crew and stands on a barrel to address them. "Friends, Sailors, Maties. Today dawns the start of a grand new adventure. Today we start the race to riches." He holds up his hands to encourage the ensuing loud cheering. "It will be a hard goal, but I have good faith in you. Our goal is to beat Captain Fontane, and for that, we need to be on our best." His voice begins to rise as he continues "You know I accept nothing but the best, and that's why you're all with me as my crew. So let's get out there and find our riches." He pumps a fist in the air as the crew rises up again in cheers.

"Now prep the ship, and get a course plotted. We're going after the Waverunner up north." Captain Swoops says as the crew begins to take their posts.

Swoops calls Bart, Ludka, Ramses, and a'Shelys aside. "I need as much information as you can a mass about the Waverunner as quietly as possable. See if you can get any other leads. You have about two hours till we're fully loaded up and ready to sail."

With that, barring any questions, Swoops returns to supervise the loading of any supplies and the preperation of the ship.

[sblock]Perform Oritory check = 15
Ugh, that could have gone better, but a 15 isn't bad.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
a'Shelys looked to the others, his large cat-green eyes blinking once, slowly. "Shall we start seperately or together? Two hours is not much time, and although if we each go our own way to cover more area, it may be best to go in twos, so that we are not vulnerable, should fate shine poorly on us in the alleys." This last bit is said with a stern look to Bart, almost as if reprimanding the old man, but then his face cracks into a smile as he lets slip a laugh.

IcyCool

First Post
Ferrix said:
a'Shelys looked to the others, his large cat-green eyes blinking once, slowly. "Shall we start seperately or together? Two hours is not much time, and although if we each go our own way to cover more area, it may be best to go in twos, so that we are not vulnerable, should fate shine poorly on us in the alleys." This last bit is said with a stern look to Bart, almost as if reprimanding the old man, but then his face cracks into a smile as he lets slip a laugh.

"Aye," Bart agrees, "We should pair off 'n find out what we can. a'Shelys, you and me." And with that, he heads out into the streets again.

OOC: Possibly relevant skills:
Gather Information +4 (Asking about the Waverunner)
Bluff +15 (In case folks don't like us asking around)
Diplomacy +6 (In case Bluff doesn't work)
Bardic Knowledge +11 (Catch-all)

Phoenix

First Post
IcyCool said:
"Aye," Bart agrees, "We should pair off 'n find out what we can. a'Shelys, you and me." And with that, he heads out into the streets again.

OOC: Possibly relevant skills:
Gather Information +4 (Asking about the Waverunner)
Bluff +15 (In case folks don't like us asking around)
Diplomacy +6 (In case Bluff doesn't work)
Bardic Knowledge +11 (Catch-all)

[sblock]Bardic Knowledge (Bart - DC varies) +18 - Common Success
Gather Information assist (a'Shelys - DC 10) +20 - Success
Gather Information (Bart - DC varies) +23 - Success
[/sblock]

Bart, a'Shelys and the dread pirate of the seas, Captain Smith, half-bounce along the plank as they head onto the docks of Tavernport, leaving Rameses (still up in his nest, keeping an eye out for suspicious customers) and Lukda to decide their own path for the night.

The crew know Tavernport well, and with only two hours to spare there is little they can truely cover without a clue of where to start. An initial visit to the Rusty Nail, the Seahorse, and the Three Centepede taverns bring little help, but a loose tongue outside the Horse and Car (the T fell off years ago) reminds Bart that the Waverunner (like many ships) picks up sailors and drops them off in Tavernport, a city of sailors and pirates!

Now with the right questions to ask, it is not long before the three pirates enter the Yuolintargias (the only tavern in Tavernport you have to be drunk to pronounce) looking for someone that many other patrons of other taverns have pointed them to, Mr Smith.

In the corner of the bar, hardly looking dark and mysterious, rather drunk and badly stained with his own juices, slumps the form of the former First Mate of the Waverunner, Mr Smith. With matted hair, a badly rusted and bent hook instead of a hand, and five verticle scars across his face, Mr Smith looks in a bad mood.

Remove ads