• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Seven Realms Await! (full)

Scotley

Hero
Orvallon said:
On Frea's auras, what is a swift action? It's not something I'm familiar with, though I've seen it mentioned once or twice.

Swift Actions are from Miniatures Handbook (the source for the Marshall). I'll dig up my copy of MH and get you a summary in a half-hour or so. I haven't actually used it in one of my games yet, but it looks like an interesting concept.

Okay, the Marshall has aura's which are somewhat like the Bard's buff abilities for the party. They can start or change an aura as a swift action. This is sort of like a free action, but a bit more useful and you only get one in a given round. Normally, these actions only take place on your turn in the initative order. The Marshall can drop his aura as a free action. Basically, it allows the Marshall to start or change his buff while still engaging in normal actions without penalty. There are also swift spells in the MH that can be learned. They are normally very quick versions of low level spells. They typically last only one round. This gives the caster a chance to take a one round boost while still engaged in normal activity. Some spells that have swift versions include fly, expedicious retreat, and invisability. Hope this helps.

BTW, The Marshall's unique ability is to grant troops under his control an extra move action not a swift action--my former post was in error.

Scotley

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
Scotley said:
Swift Actions are from Miniatures Handbook (the source for the Marshall). I'll dig up my copy of MH and get you a summary in a half-hour or so. I haven't actually used it in one of my games yet, but it looks like an interesting concept.

Okay, the Marshall has aura's which are somewhat like the Bard's buff abilities for the party. They can start or change an aura as a swift action. This is sort of like a free action, but a bit more useful and you only get one in a given round. Normally, these actions only take place on your turn in the initative order. The Marshall can drop his aura as a free action. Basically, it allows the Marshall to start or change his buff while still engaging in normal actions without penalty. There are also swift spells in the MH that can be learned. They are normally very quick versions of low level spells. They typically last only one round. This gives the caster a chance to take a one round boost while still engaged in normal activity. Some spells that have swift versions include fly, expedicious retreat, and invisability. Hope this helps.

BTW, The Marshall's unique ability is to grant troops under his control an extra move action not a swift action--my former post was in error.

Scotley

Swift actions, were updated in the XPH to take place any time during the round. Some of the ones in that book are defensive. However, you are still limited to one swift action in a round. Hope this helps.

Orvallon

First Post
rangerjohn said:
Swift actions, were updated in the XPH to take place any time during the round. Some of the ones in that book are defensive. However, you are still limited to one swift action in a round. Hope this helps.

Good enough. I don't generally use psionics as a separate bit in my games, aside from such monsters monsters as come so equipped in their standard forms.

The upshot is that the Marshall can only start one aura a round, but I think their writeup says they can keep one active. I'm not sure how they'd do that, given that their method is by talking, kicking butts, whatever.

So, we'll assume that Frea had one of his auras up, and only turned on one with his swift action.

Anyway, soon as Erkenbrand and Frea inform their poor bastard DM what they intend to do the poor innocent, much put upon monsters, we'll close out this round and we'll let Ghoulsbane join the mayhem.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Orvallon said:
Good enough. I don't generally use psionics as a separate bit in my games, aside from such monsters monsters as come so equipped in their standard forms.

Oh, I wasn't saying anything about psionics. Just for some reason that's where they decided to update the rule. As well as, several feats that have nothing to do with psionics.

Cryndo

Explorer
Reason

Orvallon,

I've finished everything for my character except for two minor details I need your help with. Both involve my background which is posted on post 122. First, where would the Sentinels of Karn meet and train new recruits? Second, I plan to enter into the PrC next level, so what task would Ewiel be sending me near Elam's Cleft for?
I'll put those two finishing touches on my background in the morning, try to figure out how to put my character in the Rogue's Gallery, and introduce myself to the game.
Thanks for your help.

Orvallon

First Post
Cryndo said:
Orvallon,

I've finished everything for my character except for two minor details I need your help with. Both involve my background which is posted on post 122. First, where would the Sentinels of Karn meet and train new recruits? Second, I plan to enter into the PrC next level, so what task would Ewiel be sending me near Elam's Cleft for?
I'll put those two finishing touches on my background in the morning, try to figure out how to put my character in the Rogue's Gallery, and introduce myself to the game.
Thanks for your help.

The Sentinels of Karn, by their nature, are a fairly decentralized bunch. They don't have the monolithic structure of Aeosian or Talmorner organizations.

However, they do have a center of sorts at the Bjorngaard Valley, in Jordheim, and another at Karn's Hollow, in the Argentwood in Southern Kythraen. For convenience, we'll say you went to Karn's Hollow to join the Sentinels, and that Ewiel sent you to Elam's Cleft on a simple errand to deliver a few books to a friend of his there, named Thad Tanier, a druid whose grove is just west of the Cleft. You arrived in Elam's Cleft earlier in the day, and after being assured that Toby, the Chin's stableboy, would show you the way to Tanier's grove the next day, if the weather broke, retired to your room to rest.

Of course, the sounds of battle have somewhat disturbed your sleep, and you were having vague, disquieting dreams in any case.

Scotley

Hero
Unfortunately, Larris wasn't really expecting trouble and is wearing only leather rather than his good armor and his shield is with it in the pile of gear near his table. Since he got tagged anyway it doesn't much matter, but I wanted to be honest. Larris will take his five foot step to flank one of the remaining horrors if posible. If not he will move toward the one Aiden is facing.

Scotley

Orvallon

First Post
Scotley said:
Unfortunately, Larris wasn't really expecting trouble and is wearing only leather rather than his good armor and his shield is with it in the pile of gear near his table. Since he got tagged anyway it doesn't much matter, but I wanted to be honest. Larris will take his five foot step to flank one of the remaining horrors if posible. If not he will move toward the one Aiden is facing.

Scotley

Noted, though indeed the thing did roll a 20 for it's attack, and then a 19 for the confirmation, which was what the post was meant to convey. A well driven strike.

Orvallon

First Post
rangerjohn said:
Oh, I wasn't saying anything about psionics. Just for some reason that's where they decided to update the rule. As well as, several feats that have nothing to do with psionics.

Understood :)

I was trying to explain why I hadn't acquired that book, and thus why I hadn't seen that rule

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads