The Slave and Her Sovereign

DEFENSE OF THE LAST DOLG IN THE NAME OF DELBAN; THE SHADOWED SUN (HEROIC TIER CLIMAX FOR IBHEA)

* Ibhea gains Milestone (Action Point) + The Blessed Two Companion Character + Defenders of Dolg Olsolis (DoDO) x 3 (all below). DoDOs have -2 all Defenses (SE) to begin combat due to Skill Challenge micro-failure.

* The Blessed Two Companion Characters (Defenders of Dolg Olsolis):
Ziwar and Yasmin, the Blessed Two
Medium humanoid (human)
Level 9 Skirmisher XP 400
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +6
HP 94; Bloodied 47
AC 23; Fortitude 18, Reflex 21, Will 20
Speed 6

Traits
Double Actions
At the start of combat, Ziwar and Yasmin make two initiative checks. Each check corresponds to one of the Blessed, and they take a turn on both initiative counts. Ziwar and Yasmin have a full set of actions on each of these turns, and their ability to take an immediate action refreshes on each turn.

Standard Actions
(⚔) Talwar (standard, at-will) ✦ Weapon
+14 vs AC; 1d6+5 damage.

(➶) Hand Crossbow (standard, at-will) ✦ Weapon
Ranged 10/20; +14 vs AC; 1d6+5 damage.

(➶) Pinion (weapon) ✦ Recharge ⚄ ⚅
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +12 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + 7 damage, and the target is restrained until it escapes (DC 17) or teleports.

Triggered Actions
Blessed Tactics (immediate reaction, when missed by a melee attack; at-will)
Ziwar and Yasmin shift 1 square.

Combat Advantage
Ziwar and Yasmin deal 1d6 extra damage against any creature granting combat advantage to them.

Alignment Unaligned Languages Common
Acrobatics (Escape) +12
Str 9 (+3) Dex 17 (+7) Wis 15 (+6)
Con 13 (+5) Int 13 (+5) Cha 9 (+3)

Equipment: bolts x20, hand crossbow, talwar

* Defenders of Dolg Olsolis (as summons; bloodied HP value, shared defenses/actions, and can move on their controlling character's turn when they move):

D1 (Blessed): HP 46; AC 23; Fortitude 18, Reflex 21, Will 20, Speed 6, Defender Effect: Any adjacent enemy takes -2 penalty to attacks and saving throws, MBA (Spear); +15 vs AC; 9 damage.

D2 (Ibhea): HP 33; AC 23; Fortitude 17, Reflex 21, Will 22, Speed 6, Defender Effect: Any adjacent enemy takes -2 penalty to attacks and saving throws, MBA (Spear); +15 vs AC; 9 damage.

D3 (Keldan): HP 46; AC 23; Fortitude 22, Reflex 21, Will 24, Speed 6, Defender Effect: Any adjacent enemy takes -2 penalty to attacks and saving throws, MBA (Spear); +15 vs AC; 9 damage.

* Ibhea's Donkey PQ/11-12: HP 8; AC 17; Fortitude 17, Reflex 14, Will 14, Speed 8, Charger (while mounted by a friendly rider of 5th level or higher) ✦ Mount : The obsidian steed grants its rider a +5 bonus to damage rolls on charge attacks.


TERRAIN/MECHANICS

* Illumination
: Fully.

* Pigmy Palms and Scrub (throughout): Obscuring Terrain (Concealment) and Difficult Terrain. However, any creature that ends its turn in a squaure of palms and scrub must make a saving throw. Failure and the creature is slowed UtEoINT.

* Date Palms (rows 23/24 and bottom left): Climb Medium DC 3 squares up for Heavily Obscuring Terrain (Heavy Concealment).

* Bloodvine (Hindering Terrain): Effect: Tanglevine is difficult terrain. A creature that enters a bloodvine square or starts its turn there gains Vulnerable 5 all damage (SE).

* Dug Well (Hindering Terrain): Effect: Any creature that enters a well square or starts its turn there is restrained (SE). Can be stunted with (which will have the Effect of expanding its size to Large).

* Thatched Roof Cottages: Blocking Terrain. Any fire attack that hits a square, sets it on fire. Those squares burn immediately and at the beginning of next round, all squares are ablaze. Any creature that enters an adjacent square to a burning cottage or is in an adjacent square at the start of its turn takes 5 fire damage.

* Tile Roof Cottages: Blocking Terrain.

* Cistern: Blocking Terrain (can be stunted with).

* Wheelbarrows: Difficult Terrain (can be stunted with).

* LoR Scorpion (Brute, Standard, Mount) x 2: 120 HP, AC 21, Fortitude 23, Reflex 19, Will 21, Init (as rider). Orange and Blue; each attuned to associated Flamehand.

* Vezzuvu Flamehand (Controller, Standard) x 2: HP 92, AC 23, Fortitude 19, Reflex 21, Will 21. * FYI for tactics. Flamehands can't use a move action to move around on the mount. The saddle is the top right square so they can't move around on top of the Scorpions. They can move to dismount (or whatever), but that is it. So their mounted square (for purposes of what constitutes adjacent for their enemies) is fixed.

* LoR Javelineers (Artillery, Minion): 1 HP, AC 23, Fortitude 20, Reflex 23, Will 21.

* DEFENDER SQUARES: Pick 6 square for your 3 characters and your 3 DoDO in rows 6 through 12.

* INITIATIVE:

Javelineers (18)
Orange Scorpion and Flamehand (17)
Blessed (first go) & D1 (16)
I & D2 (15)
Blue Scorpion and Flamehand (14)
K & D3 (12)
Blessed (second go) & D3 (8)




1701509872443.png


ROUND 1




Ibhea Arcana Monster Knowledge check (no action) vs Flamehands, r(14)+13=27. HARD DC SUCCESS

Keldan Nature Monster Knowledge check (no action) vs Scorpions, r(11)+13=24. HARD DC SUCCESS

LoR Javelineers; AUTOMATIC.

Legion of Ruuth Scorpion x 2
Large natural beast (mount)
Level 9 Brute XP 400
HP 120; Bloodied 60 Initiative: As Rider
AC 21, Fortitude 23, Reflex 19, Will 21 Perception+7
Speed 6

Traits
Expert Mount (mount)
While the scorpion is being ridden, it gains +2 bonus to attack rolls (offsetting mount -2) and damage rolls with melee attacks.

Standard Actions
(⚔) Chelicerae Chomp ✦ At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +14 vs. AC. While the scorpion has a creature grabbed, it can use chomp against the grabbed creature only.
Hit: 3d8 + 5 damage. If the target is prone, it takes 1d6 extra damage, is grabbed (DC 19), and cannot stand up until the grab ends.

ᗕ Tail Sting & Slap (poison) ✦ Recharge ⚂ ⚃ ⚄ ⚅
Attack: Close blast 2 (enemies in the blast); +12 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d6 + 5 poison damage, and the scorpion pushes the target 2 squares and knocks it prone.

Triggered Actions
⚔ Stinging Tail (mount) ✦ At-Will
Trigger: The scorpion has a friendly rider of 9th level or higher mounted on it, and the rider is hit by an opportunity attack provoked by a ranged or an area attack.
Effect (Free Action): The scorpion uses tail sting & slap in an area that includes the creature that made the triggering attack.

Athletics +9

Vezzuvu Flamehand x 2
Medium elemental humanoid (fire)
Level 9 Controller XP 400
HP 92; Bloodied 46 Initiative +6
AC 23, Fortitude 19, Reflex 21, Will 21 Perception+8
Speed 6 Low-light vision
Resist Fire 9 Vulnerable 5 Area/Close attacks while mounted

Traits
Expert Rider
When mount falls prone, the rider makes a (no action) saving throw to avoid being dismounted and proned.

Standard Actions
(⚔) Shamshir (weapon) ✦ At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +13 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + 10 damage, and the flamehand pushes the target 2 squares.

(➶) Withering Heat (implement, necrotic) ✦ At-Will
Attack: Ranged 5 (one creature); +13 vs. Will
Hit: 2d8 + 4 necrotic damage, and the target is immobilized (save ends).

➶ Devouring Fire (implement, fire) ✦ Recharge ⚄ ⚅
Attack: Ranged 5 (one creature); +13 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d10 + 10 fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
Each Failed Saving Throw: Each ally within 3 squares of the target takes 5 fire damage.

✻ Choking pyroclasm (implement, fire, necrotic, zone) ✦ Encounter
Attack: Area burst 3 within 10 (enemies in the burst); +13 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d6 + 5 fire and necrotic damage.
Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of the encounter. Any enemy within the zone cannot regain hit points.

Minor Actions
ᗕ Enervating Blast (implement) ✦ Encounter
Attack: Close blast 5 (enemies in the blast); +13 vs. Will
Hit: The target is weakened until the end of the flamehand's next turn.

Legion of Ruuth Javelineer * 2
Medium natural, elemental humanoid (fire) Level 9 Minion Artillery XP 100
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion. Initiative +8
AC 23, Fortitude 20, Reflex 23, Will 21
Speed 6 Low-light vision
Resist 5 Fire

Traits

Barbed Reprisal
If an enemy hits LoRJ with a melee attack, the enemy takes 3 damage.

Standard Actions
(➶) Javelin (weapon) ✦ At-Will
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +16 vs. AC
Hit: 9 damage or 10 damage if the target is flanked by the LoRJ's allies.

Athletics +7




* LORJ's delaying until after Orange Scorpion and Flamehand.




The wail of the horn and the call to charge is heard at the base of the mountain pass far below.

The Defenders of Dolg Olsolis are ready. The Legions pour into the Dolg, a SCORPION BEARING RIDER leading the way. It slams into the stalwart defenders.

The defense holds...


* Move Action: 5 sq to I16.

* Standard Action: Charge 4 sq (DT) to K14 and MBA (Chelicerae Chomp; M1) D1 vs AC: r(7) +14 +1 (charge) - 2 (DoDO) = 20; Miss.


LOCATION: Orange S in K14. Orange F in K14.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: OS @ 120/120
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Occupying DT so cannot shift.




A pyromancer astride the charging scorpion unleashes a vitality-sapping wave and choking pyroclasm that clouds the battlefield with suffocating ash. The nearby cottage becomes an instant inferno!

VEZUVVU'S FLAMEHAND: "Your precious sanctum will be purged by primordial fire and ash if you will not surrender!"


* Standard Action: Choking Pyroclasm (ABu3 w/i 10; enemies) ✦ Encounter on P12 vs Fort D2, D3, Ibhea Mount, I, K: r(17, 11, 5, 5, 20) +13 = Hit D2, D3, K. D2, D3 take r(1, 5) +5 = 11 fire and necrotic damage. K takes (6, 6) +5 = 17 fire and necrotic damage.

Effect (red): The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of the encounter. Any enemy within the zone cannot regain hit points.

TRIGGER: THATCHED-ROOF COTTAGE squares S13/14 are ablaze. This will spread to T13/14 ASoVFNT. These squares are now Hindering Terrain as above under Mechanics.

* Minor Actions: Enervating Blast (CBl5; enemies) ✦ Encounter vs Will D1, D2, D3, K, B: r(20, 12, 1, 8, 9) + 13 = Hit D1, D2, B; all weakened UtEoFNT.


LOCATION: Orange F in K14.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: D2, D3 take 11 fire and necrotic damage. K takes 17 fire and necrotic damage.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: D1, D2, B; all weakened UtEoFNT. Choking Pyroclasm centered on O12 UtEoE.
CURRENT HP: OF @ 92/92
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Thatched-Roof Cottage S13/14 is ablaze (now Hindering Terrain) and will spread to T13/14 ASoVFNT. Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted.




The LEGION OF RUTH JAVELINEERs pick out covered positions on the battlefield and double-time it to them while heaving their wood and steel payload at the nearby defenders of the Dolg.


M (E21)

* Standard: Javelin (R10) vs D1's AC: r(18) +16 = 34. Hit. 9 damage to D1.

* Move: E21 to C15.


M (M23)

* Move: M23 to J18.

* Standard: Javelin (R10) vs D1's AC: r(16) +16 = 32. Hit. 9 damage to D1.


LOCATION: D15, J18
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 18 damage to D1.
BUFFS: Cover or Superior or no LoS/E to most on battlefield.




Though their line holds against the initial charge of The Legion, the Defenders of Dolg Olsolis are battered, bruised, and charred by the assault. A sickening smoke and ash fill the agora. THE BLESSED TWO cough and rasp out an order to one to the Defenders before them, "Harry the scorpion's flank!" Since their affliction, a preternatural consciousness links them, and Yasmin and Ziwar move in unison through the ash to flank the mounted scorpion.

Yasmin slashes with her talwar, but the thick carapace is too much for her, weakened as she is by the choking ash.


* Move: D1 Shifts K12 to J12; B Moves K10 to L14, avoiding any threatened squares. D1 and B now Flank OS.

* Standard: Talwar vs OS, r(1)+14= Automiss.

LOCATION: B in L14, D1 in J12
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: B 94/94, D1 28/46
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: B weakened UEoOFNT, cannot regain HP (in Pyroclasm Zone).




IBHEA witnesses the carnage around him--the battered defenders, the homes aflame, the agora defiled by Vezzuvu's pyroclasm--and blanches. What is he doing here, leading a ragtag army from atop his obsidian steed like some general? He is a priest, not a military commander! And his strategy for the Dolg's defense shows just how outmatched he is in this role!

Nevertheless, he proceeds. "Forward, to the attack!" he urges a defender. "Sunspot, ahead!" he commands, and the pitch black donkey takes several hesitant steps forward, rolling its equine eyes in terror at the nearby blaze.

"May Delban's black flames sear your soul from this realm," the whisky priest announces, without much conviction, at the giant scorpion ahead. Then, in Delban's name again, he conjures a sphere of writhing tentacles that crush the scorpion's rider, at least, in their icy grip.


* Move: I moves Q12 to Q16, triggers Shadow Walk. D2 moves O12 to P18.

* Free: Move Sunspot Q12 to Q16 (While mounted you can command the creature using free actions, though the mount is still limited to its normal allotment of actions.)

* Minor: Curse BS (nearest enemy), activates Armor of Dark Majesty vs BS

* Standard: Shadow Tentacles A Bu1 within 10 on Q22. Atk vs BS, r(1)+11= Automiss. Vs BF, r(17)+11=28 vs 21 Reflex. Hit, r(6)+6 +5 Vuln Area while mounted=17 cold damage and Slowed UEoINT.

* Ends turn: D2 saves vs -2 defenses, r(2). Fails.


LOCATION: I in Q16, Sunspot in Q16, D2 in P18
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 17 to BF
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: BF Slowed UEoINT, BS Cursed
CURRENT HP: I 59/59, D2 22/33
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: Concealment (Shadow Walk), +2 to all defenses vs BS's attacks (Armor of Dark Majesty), D2 takes -2 Defenses (SE).
SURGES: 2/7




As the Defenders of Dolg Olsoris rise up to challenge the legions, the Flamehand takes the reigns and commands its SCORPION to charge headlong into the fray.

As on the other flank, the grim-faced defenders desperately fend off the impossibly large scorpion, a mass of humanity amongts its terrible mouth parts...but they hold their ground.


* Standard Action: Charge 2 sq to Q20 and MBA (Chelicerae Chomp; M1) D2 vs AC: r(8) +14 +1 (charge) - 2 (DoDO) = 21; Hit. r(1, 5, 6) + 5 +2 (Trait) = 19 damage.


LOCATION: Blue S in Q20. Blue F in Q20.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 19 damage to D2
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: BS @ 120/120
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Cursed




VEZUVVU'S FLAMEHAND points his flame-tipped rod at Ibhea and commands "INFERNUM IGNIS."

The Shadowed Sun conceals his priest and the incantation's blaze finds nothing but suffocating air...


* Standard Action: Devouring Fire (R5) ✦ Recharge 5/6 on I vs Fort: r(5) +13 -2 (concealment) = 16; Miss.


LOCATION: Blue F in Q20.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: BF @ 75/92
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Devouring Fire cooldown; Recharge 5/6.




KELDAN can no longer stand by idly as the good defenders of Dolg Olsolis bear the brunt of the Bladeling onslaught. He brushes the ash and singed hair from his face and races to the side of Yasmin and Ziwar.

"You," Keldan shouts to an awestruck defender, "go protect Delban's Messenger. I have control of the situation here." And the defender trots off, spear before them at the ready.

"Hear me, creatures of the earth, sacred outgrowth of Omthala's life-giving light! Rise up and repel these invaders of Primordial origin, blasphemous against the very gods themselves in their existence!" And nature responds. Across a great swath of the battlefield, crawling and wriggling and flying insects emerge and descend and assemble to assault the Legion of Ruth with bites and stings. The Javelineer lurking behind a stone cottage collapses under the attack of scores of wasps. The scorpion and its rider, both, are forced back, reeling from a thousand bites and stings.


* Move: K moves N10 to L13, D3 moves O11 to R17

* Standard: Nature's Rebuff Cl Bl 5 G-K/14-18 (except blocking terrain), Atk vs OF, r(19)+12=31 vs 21 Will. Hit. Vs OS, r(14)+12=26 vs 21 Will. Hit. Vs M(J18), r(17)+12-5 Total Cover =24 vs 21 Will. Hit. Damage=r(4,4)+6=14 to M & OS, M KILLED, +5 Vulnerable Blast while mounted= 19 to OF. OS & OF Pushed 3 to I17 and cannot move closer to K willingly (SE).

* End of turn: D3 Save vs -2 defenses, r(7). Fails.


LOCATION: K in L13, D3 in R17
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: M(J18) KILLED, 14 to OS, 19 to OF.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: OS & OF cannot move closer to K willingly (SE)
CURRENT HP: K 75/92, D3 35/46
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: B & D1 in Nature's Embrace aura (+2 Will and Saves), Nature's Rebuff on cooldown until K bloodied. D3 takes -2 defenses (SE)




THE BLESSED TWO have a confidence and seriousness about them that belies their age. Not confounded by the futility of their previous attack against the scorpion, they leap into action, Yasmin calling over her shoulder to the Olsolisian defender, "Don't stand there, gaping! Protect yourself ... and the priest!" The man catches himself, shakes his head, and scuttles around the corner of the stone cottage. "We have prey to hunt down," Ziwar says under her breath, and the two smile slyly.

Yasmin and Ziwar round the corner of another stone building, catching the hiding Javelineer unawares and striking them down with a nasty blow from Ziwar's talwar.


* Move: D1 moves J12 to K15 (Cover), B moves L14 to F12, avoiding DT

* Standard: Charge F12 to C14, atk vs M(C15), r(14)+14+1=29 vs 23 AC. Hit. M(C15) KILLED

TRIGGERS BARBED REPRISAL
, B takes 3 damage

* Ends turn: D1 saves vs -2 defenses, r(17). Succeeds.


LOCATION: B in C14, D1 in K15
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: M(C15) KILLED
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: B 91/94, D1 28/46
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: B & D1 Weakened UEoOFNT, D1 Cover and in Nature's Embrace aura




BLUE SCORPION: 120/120 Cursed
BLUE FLAMEHAND: 75/92 Slowed UEoINT,
ORANGE SCORPION: 106/120 Cannot move closer to K willingly (SE)
ORANGE FLAMEHAND: 73/92 Cannot move closer to K willingly (SE)

1701592068474.png


ROUND 2




Primal and Divine power hold the (orange) SCORPION at bay so it flails wildly with its tail at nearby Dolg defenders, forcing them away and onto their backs to avoid sure death at the pointy end of the perilous stinger! Try as they might to avoid its effects completely, dripping poison finds an open wound as pyroclasm suffocates them!

* Standard Action: Tail Sting & Slap (CBl2; enemies) vs D1 Fort: r(11) +12 = 22; Hit. r(2, 8, 4) + 5 = 19 poison damage is pushed to M13 and falls prone.

* End of Turn: Saving Throw vs Nature's Rebuff; r(6). Fails


LOCATION: Orange S in I17. Orange F in I17.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 19 poison damage to D1.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: D1 in M13 (pyroclasm zone) and prone.
CURRENT HP: OS @ 106/120
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Tail Sting and Slap on cooldown, cannot move closer to K willingly (SE)




VEZUVVU'S FLAMEHAND points his flame-tipped rod at the Omthalan priest before him, invokes Vezzuvu, and primordial blaze takes Keldan.

"Foolish priest. The natural warmth of the sun is no match for the primordial, burning flow beneath our feet!"

As if on cue, the burning cottage suffers a roof cave-in as the thatch gives in fully to the fire.



* Standard Action: Devouring Fire (R5) ✦ Recharge 5/6 on K vs Fort: r(15) +13 = 28; Hit. r(7, 4) +10 = 21 fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
Each Failed Saving Throw: Each ally within 3 squares of the target takes 5 fire damage.

TRIGGERS (K's) RESCUE KELDAN ☆ Encounter, Effect (Free Action): Keldan's allies gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls against the triggering enemy until the end of the enemy's next turn.

As the pastoralist and priest is engulfed in flame, a cry and hue goes up among the Olsolisian defenders, "The priest is in peril! Rescue Keldan!"

Yasmin and Ziwar narrow their eyes in anger at the agent of Vezzuvu.


THATCHED-ROOF COTTAGE fire consumes the cottage fully. These squares are now Hindering Terrain as above under Mechanics.

* End of Turn: Saving Throw vs Nature's Rebuff; r(16). Succeeds.

LOCATION: Orange F in I17.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: K takes 21 fire damage.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: K takes OG 5 fire (SE) and secondary effect spread if failed saving throw.
CURRENT HP: OF @ 73/92
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted.



From behind the cottage, Ziwar watches as their sister Faeezah helps cousin Irfan get back to his feet. The two children look with concern as Uncle Yusuf struggles to do likewise, while others remain lying prone among the strange cinders, moaning.

Yasmin, trying to ignore her own brothers' inability to get back up, gives a nudge to her partner, and THE BLESSED PAIR step quietly to the opposite corner of their hiding place.

Yasmin glances around the corner, and the two share a sense of relief. <They haven't seen us yet> they mentally concur. Ziwar pokes their head out and takes their shot at the Bladeling atop its Scorpion, before darting back around the corner.

The Blessed Pair cringe at their miss: at the last possible moment the Scorpion gave a cry of frustration, causing its rider to bend down to soothe it and the bolt to fly uselessly through the space where the rider's head had been.


* Move Action: B: 2 squares to C16, Stealth Check: r(12) + 7 = 19 vs. Passive Perceptions: 17 (Scorpions), 18 (Flamehands) = Success/Hidden; D1: Stand up from Prone

* Standard Action: Pinion Attack vs. Orange Flamehand (Recharge 5,6): ATK: r(3) + 12 + 2CA = 17 vs. 21 Reflex/Fail

LOCATION: B in C16, D1 in M13
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: B 91/94, D1 9/46
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: D1 no longer Prone, in Nature's Embrace aura




As the giant scorpion ravages the defenders of the Dolg, IBHEA urges his mount forward to their defense, but Sunspot brays and does not budge. "This will not do," he frowns. The whisky priest intones, "Ha-yal!" and he is left standing on the smoky battlefield, his steed vanished, returned to figurine size.

"You there," he directs a group of defenders, still reeling from the scorpion's attack, "cover my advance" as he circles the beast.

Suddenly, a black flame appears above his brow as he utters a condemnation against his foes. The scorpion rears and lunges back, Bladeling rider desperately clinging for purchase. The two tumble into a wicked patch of bloodvine, the rider slamming its steed with the pommel of its shamshir as the scorpion bites at it.

Then, as his enemies do his work for him, Ibhea raises his holy symbol, which gleams with Omthala's brilliant radiance, searing and dazzling the pair.


* Minor: Dismiss Obsidian Steed

* Move: D2 Shift P18 to O18, I Q16 to R21, triggers Shadow Walk

* Standard: Decree of Khirad, Daily Cl Bl3 O-Q/19-21. Effect: Slide BF Q20 to O21 (dismount forces Prone), BS Q20 to O20, Save r(3) Fails (in Bloodvine, Vuln 5 all); Atk vs BF, r(12)+11=23 vs 21 Will. Hit. BF uses Shamshir vs BS, r(12)+13=25 vs 19 Ref. Hit, r(5,5)+10+5 Vuln=25 damage & forgo push. Atk vs BS, r(6)+11=17 TRIGGERS HEROIC EFFORT +4=21 vs 21 Will. Hit. BS uses Chelicerae Chomp vs BF, r(10)+14=24 vs 23 AC. Hit, r(6,2,8)+5=21 damage.

* AP for Standard: Shining Symbol Cl Bl3 O-Q/19-21, Atk vs BS, r(14)+11=25 vs 21 Will. Hit. Atk vs BF, r(4)+11=15 vs 21 Will. Miss. Damage=r(7)+6 +r(2) WC +r(3) MS + 5 Vuln all=23 damage to BS & -2 atk UEOINT

* Ends turn: D2 Saves vs -2 defenses, r(9). Fails.

LOCATION: I in R21, D2 in O18, BF in O21, BS in O20
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 48 to BS, 21 to BF
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: BS Cursed, in Bloodvine (Vuln 5 all (SE)), -2 Atk UEoINT (stacks w D), BF prone
CURRENT HP: I 59/59, D2 3/33
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: I Concealment, +2 all def vs BS's atk; D2 -2 all defenses (SE)




With its Flamehand rider dismounted and ensnared in wounding razorvine, the SCORPION behaves on pure instinct, lashing, flailing, biting, and rushing its attacker!

It frees itself from the immediate threat of the razorvine, but the wounds to the chinks in its carapace are capitalized on by the Dolg defenders!



* Standard Action: Chelicerae Chomp (M1) vs D2 AC: r(9) +14 - 2 (DoDO) -2 (Symbol) = 19. Miss.

* Move: To Q20. TRIGGERS OA MBA from D2; r(12) +15 = 27. Hit. 9 +5 (vuln) = 14 damage to Blue S (BLOODIED).

* End of Turn: Saving Throw vs Razorvine (3) Fails.


LOCATION: Blue S in Q20.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: BS @ 58/120
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Cursed, Vuln 5 all (SE), -2 Atk UEoINT (stacks w D)





VEZUVVU'S FLAMEHAND scrambles for footing after being dismounted and unleashes a fury of pyroclasm and enervating magics from the heart of the burning mountain.

The air chokes with ash, soot and raw heat, but the Shadowed Sun protects his the bearer of his message, Ibhea, from the worst of the fiery offerings.



* Start of Turn: Devouring Fire Recharge; r(2). Fails to recharge.

* Move Action: Stand from prone.

* Standard Action: Choking Pyroclasm (ABu3 w/i 10; enemies) ✦ Encounter on Q19 vs Fort of D2, D3, I: r(2, 6, 16) +13 = Hit I. I takes r(2, 6) +5 = 13 fire and necrotic damage.

Effect (red): The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of the encounter. Any enemy within the zone cannot regain hit points.

* Minor Actions: Enervating Blast (CBl5; enemies) ✦ Encounter vs Will I and D3: r(3, 14) + 13 = Hit D3; weakened UtEoFNT.


LOCATION: Blue F in O21.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: I takes 13 fire and necrotic damage.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: D3 weakened UtEoFNT, Choking Pyroclasm centered on O12 UtEoE.
CURRENT HP: BF @ 54/92
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted, Devouring Fire cooldown; Recharge 5/6.




The flames of the burning mountain wash over KELDAN, engulfing the man in flames, his beard singed, his bāšloq aflame.

Coughing and holding his ground, he calls out to the group of defenders across the agora, "I'm fine! Stay with the Mesenger!" Then he calls upon Omthala's glory to demonstrate just how potent be the rays of her sun, and the Bladeling is left cringing, stupefied by the assault.

Then, calmly, Keldan extinguishes his burning vestments.


* Starts turn: Takes 5 OG fire damage

* Move: D3 moves R17 to P18

* Standard: Omthala's Wrath R5 vs OF, r(13)+12=25 vs 21 Reflex. Hit, r(6,8)+3=17 radiant damage and OF Dazed UEoKNT.

* Ends turn: K Saves vs OG fire, r(17). Succeeds. D3 Saves vs -2 defenses, r(17). Succeeds. D3 Saves vs Weakened, r(3). Fails.

LOCATION: L13
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 17 radiant to OF
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: OF dazed UEoKNT
CURRENT HP: K 49/92, D3 35/46
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: D3 Weakened, in Nature's Embrace aura, +2 attacks vs OF




Whatever the family may have said about Uncle Yusuf being lazy and hedonistic, they will not question his bravery now! The white-bearded elder gathers whatever hale defenders he can and leads them forward against the great scorpion.

Yasmin and Ziwar, THE BLESSED TWO, use the distraction to, once again, fire a bolt at the scorpion's rider from behind the corner of the thatched cottage. Alas, their shot is low and the bolt ricochets harmlessly off the scorpion's carapace.


* Starts turn: B Recharge Pinion, r(6), recharges.

* Move Action: D1 moves M13 to J15. B makes Stealth check to achieve hidden behind superior cover, r(6)+12=18 vs Passive Perception, OF (18) and OS (17). Succeeds. B hidden.

* Standard: Pinion (Recharge 5,6) R10 vs OF, r(3)+12+2 CA +2 Rescue Keldan!=19 vs 21 Reflex. Miss.


LOCATION: B in C16, D1 in J15
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: B 91/94, D1 9/46
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: D1 in Nature's Embrace aura (+2 Will and Saves), B behind Superior Cover




BLUE SCORPION: 58/120 Cursed, in Bloodvine (Vuln 5 all (SE)), -2 Atk UEoINT (stacks w D)
BLUE FLAMEHAND: 54/92
ORANGE SCORPION: 106/120 Cannot move closer to K willingly (SE)
ORANGE FLAMEHAND: 56/92

1701703235752.png


ROUND 3




ORANGE SCORPION DELAYS UNTIL AFTER ORANGE FLAMEHAND




VEZUVVU'S FLAMEHAND sneers at Keldan.

You cannot escape the flame, mortal. It consumes all.

Keldan's cloak begins to smolder, then blaze...


* Start of Turn: Devouring Fire recharge 5/6; r(5). Recharges.

* Standard Action: Devouring Fire (R5) ✦ Recharge 5/6 on K vs Fort: r(9) +13 = 22; Hit. r(3, 6) +10 = 19 fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends). (BLOODIED)
Each Failed Saving Throw: Each ally within 3 squares of the target takes 5 fire damage.

TRIGGERS K's NATURE'S REBUFF RECHARGE (WHEN FIRST BLOODIED)

As the Primordial flames of Vezzuvu engulf Keldan once again, Omthala reaches out to her priest, renewing his connection with the natural world and his capacity to bring it to his defense against his enemies.


LOCATION: Orange F in I17.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: K takes 19 fire damage.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: K takes OG 5 fire (SE) and secondary effect spread if failed saving throw.
CURRENT HP: OF @ 56/92
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted.




Sensing the SCORPION's magical forbiddance to engage Keldan, the Flamehand pulls the reins hard. Despite the Dolg's defenders unified spear assault, the large creature wheels and charges The Blessed Two after clawing at the ground for a moment!

The pair of Dolg Olsoris fighters are set to desperate defense to prevent becoming a meal!


* Start of Turn: Tail Sting & Slap Recharge 3/4/5/6; r(3). Recharges.

* Move Action: 5 sq to E20.

TRIGGERS OA MBA FROM D1; r(11) +15 = 26. Hit. 9 damage to Orange Scorpion.

* Standard Action: Charge 2 sq to C18 and MBA (Chelicerae Chomp; M1) B vs AC: r(17) +14 +1 (charge) = 32. Hit. r(3, 3, 7) +5 = 18 damage.

* End of Turn: Saving Throw vs Nature's Rebuff; r(13). Succeeds.


LOCATION: Orange S in C18. Orange F in C18.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 18 damage to B.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: OS @ 97/120
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: na




BLESSED AND DEFENDERS

Uncle Yusuf and his younger companion seem emboldened by their glancing blow off the scorpion's carapace. They advance upon it, waving their arms and shouting, which provides Ziwar and Yasmin the opportunity to shift into position and slash at the giant arachnid bearing down upon them, a solid enough blow that deflects a clicking pedipalp.


* Move: D1 moves J15 to D18, B shifts C16 to B16, Flanking OS.

* Standard: Talwar vs OS, r(7)+14+2 CA=23 vs 21 AC. Hit, r(1)+5+r(5) Combat Advantage = 11 damage to OS.

LOCATION: D1 in D18, B in B16
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 11 to OS
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: 73/94
DE/BUFFS: na




As the remnant smoke and cinders of the Bladeling Flamehand's pyroclasm waft across the agora, IBHEA calls out madly to the Dolg's defenders, "Do not back down now! Even if it's with our very last breaths, we shall see Delban's word--and black flames--delivered upon our enemies!"

A few of the defenders take a faltering step forward, sensing their doom. The whisky priest shifts towards the Bladeling and unleashes a fury of flame himself--black flames, the flames of Delban!



* Move: I shifts R21 to Q21, D2 shifts O18 to O19. Both flank BS.

* Standard: Flame Spiral Cl Bu2, Atk vs BS, r(9)+11+2 CA=22 vs 19 Reflex. Hit. Vs BF, r(16)+11=27 vs 21 Reflex. Hit. Damage: r(9)+6 = 15 fire (-9 Resist)=6 fire damage to BF, 15 +r(3) Curse +r(5) Scorn +5 Vuln all = 28 fire and psychic to BS.

LOCATION: I in Q21, D2 in O19
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 6 fire to BF, 28 fire and psychic to BS
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: BS will take 1d6+1+5 Vuln fire damage at start of next turn, -2 attacks & saves DoDO, BF will take 1d6+1 fire damage if enters square adjacent to I before SoINT
CURRENT HP: I 46/59, D2 3/33
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: I cannot regain HP, +2 defenses vs BS (Armor of DM)
SURGES: 2/7




As Delban's flame burns at its form, the SCORPION thrashes wildly at the Dolg Defenders with tail and claw and carapace leaving several sprawling for their lives...or perhaps even ending them...it will be impossible to tell until the dust settles.


* Start of Turn: Ibhea Flame Spiral; 1d6+1+5 Vuln fire damage. r(3) +1 +5 = 9 fire damage.

* Move Action: Shift 1 sq to R19.

Standard Action: Tail Sting & Slap (CBl2; enemies) vs D2 and D3 Fort: r(13, 6) +12 -2 (DoDO) = 23, 16; Hit D2. MINIMUM DAMAGE REMOVES D2 FROM COMBAT.

* End of Turn: Saving Throw vs Razorvine (14) Succeeds.


LOCATION: Blue S in R19.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: D2 OUT OF COMBAT
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: BS @ 21/120
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Cursed, TS&S on cooldown.




VEZUVVU'S FLAMEHAND bears a face of simmering rage and odd delight as the choking pyroclasm is a backdrop to its vicious stare into the whiskey priest.

"You_do not_command the flame!"

An inferno erupts around Ibhea, but a hasty retreat reveals that perhaps Vezzuvu's Flamehand is less sure of things than furious words betray.



* Start of Turn: Devouring Fire Recharge; r(5). Recharges.

* Standard Action: Devouring Fire (R5) ✦ Recharge 5/6 on I vs Fort: r(14) +13 = 27; Hit. r(4, 5) +10 = 19 fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends). (BLOODIED)
Each Failed Saving Throw: Each ally within 3 squares of the target takes 5 fire damage.

* Move Action: 6 squares to J18.


LOCATION: Blue F in J18.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: I takes 19 fire damage.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: I takes 5 OG fire (SE) and secondary effect if failed save, Choking Pyroclasm centered on O12 UtEoE.
CURRENT HP: BF @ 48/92
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted, Devouring Fire cooldown; Recharge 5/6.



What had begun in formal battle, regimented lines drawn, has now devolved to guerilla warfare. KELDAN can no longer see the defenders under his command, and so issues no orders. In the daze and shock, he does not seem to notice his smoldering woolen cloak.

He creeps to the corner of a tiled structure, hoping to catch any enemy unawares. But the Bladeling rider turns and spots him, just as Keldan invokes the buzzing, stinging creatures of the earth against them.

Staggering backwards, the Flamehand conjures Vezzuvu's flames around him, singeing the winged and crawling creatures away.

Keldan's cloak continues to burn.


* Starts turn: Takes 5 OG fire damage

* Move: K Moves 2 squares L13 to K15 and makes Stealth check to achieve hidden behind Superior Cover, r(8)+6=14 vs 18 Passive Perception. Fails.

* Standard: Nature's Rebuff Cl Bl 5 F-J/16-20, Atk vs BF, r(8)+12=20 vs 21 Will. Miss. Half damage on Miss, r(6,5)+6=17/2=8 & push 2 squares J18 to J20. BF BLOODIED

* Ends turn: Saves vs OG fire, r(3), Fails.

LOCATION: K in K15, D3 in P18
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 8 to BF
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: BF pushed to J20
CURRENT HP: 25/92
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: K OG 5 Fire, Nature's Rebuff exhausted




Uncle Yusuf and his companion continue to harry both scorpion and rider, and so Yasmin and Ziwar, THE BLESSED TWO, exploit the opportunity by shifting back, taking aim, and firing a sure shot this time, catching the Bladeling Flamehand in the shoulder. Blood soaks their riding leathers around the wound.

* Move: B shifts B16 to A15

* Standard: Hand Crossbow R10/20 vs OF, r(14)+14+2 CA +2 Rescue Keldan!=32 vs 23 AC. Hit, r(6)+5+r(1) Combat Advantage =12 damage. OF BLOODIED

LOCATION: B in A15, D1 in D18
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 12 to OF
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: OF & OS -2 attacks and saves DoDO
CURRENT HP: B 73/94, D1 9/46
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: +2 Rescue Keldan expires




BLUE SCORPION: 21/120 Cursed
BLUE FLAMEHAND: 40/92
ORANGE SCORPION: 86/120
ORANGE FLAMEHAND: 44/92

1701867208571.png


ROUND 4




FLAMEHAND DELAYS UNTIL AFTER SCORPION




The SCORPION probes the steel defenses of The Blessed Dolg defenders.

Though the fray is obscured from every position due to the size of the beast, its clear from the racket that the situation for the humans grow desperate..


* Move Action: Shift 1 sq to B17.

* Standard Action: Chelicerae Chomp (M1) vs B's AC: r(12) +14 = 26. Hit. r(2, 3, 7) +5 = 17 damage.


LOCATION: Orange S in B17. Orange F in B17.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 17 damage to B.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: OS @ 86/120
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: na




VEZUVVU'S FLAMEHAND points at The Blessed defenders with a crooked smile.

"There is no escape..."

But Omthala's divine protections from fire thwart Vezzuvu's for the moment as The Blessed do not succumb.


* Start of Turn: Devouring Fire recharge 5/6; r(2). Fails to recharg.

* Standard Action: Withering Heat (R5) vs B's Fort: r(6) +13 = 19; Miss.


LOCATION: Orange F in B17.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: OF @ 44/92
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted. Devouring Fire on cooldown.




THE BLESSED TWO
When the horse-sized scorpion clasps and tears at his niece with its mouthparts, Yusuf and his ally step forward to re-engage it and its rider, putting themselves in mortal danger.

"Uncle, no!" yells Yasmin. Then she steps back from the scorpion's grasping pedipalps and fires a shot at its rider. Alas, Vezzuvu's warrior laughs off her attack as it deflects off its armor.


* Starts turn: Pinion Recharge, r(3), Fails.

* Move: D1 shifts D18 to C17. B shifts A15 to B14.

* Standard: Hand Crossbow R10/20 vs OF, r(19)+14=33 vs 23 AC. Hit, r(3)+5=8 damage.

LOCATION: D1 in C17, B in C14
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 8 to OF
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: OF & OS -2 attacks and saves (DoDO)
CURRENT HP: 56/94
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: na




IBHEA holds out his hand, expecting a crackling sphere to hurl at his foe to materialize. It does not. Something is wrong! Has Delban forsaken him?

In frustration and doubt he calls out to the last of Dolg Olsolis's defenders before him, "Save yourselves! If you can..." his voice trails off.

Then he crosses the battlefield, wreathed in shadow, in pursuit of Vezzuvu's flamehand, pulling up short but a mere swordslength from the mutant.

"May the black flames of Delban sear your soul from this realm!" he bellows, and the battlefield echoes with his curse.


* Standard: Hand of Blight R10 vs BS, r(10)+11=21 vs 23 Fortitude. Miss.

* Move: 6 squares Q21 to K21, activates Shadow Walk

* Minor: Curse BF. Activates Armor of Dark Majesty.

LOCATION: K21
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: BF Cursed, BS Cursed
CURRENT HP: 46/59
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: Concealment, +2 defenses vs Cursed enemies
SURGES: 2/7




The riderless, and rudderless, SCORPION engages the stalwart Dolg Defenders, but their mettle and fighting spirit hold.


* Start of Turn: TS&S on cooldown; r(1) fails to recharge.

* Standard Action: Chelicerae Chomp (M1) vs I's AC: r(10) +14 -2 (DolgD) = 22. Miss.


LOCATION: Blue S in R19.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES:
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: BS @ 21/120
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Cursed, TS&S on cooldown.




VEZUVVU'S FLAMEHAND rushes to his companion Flamehand's situation on the western end of the Dolg. His burning staff points at the Dolg defenders.

"The Burning Mountain claim thee..."

The air shimmers with suffocating heat to which the defenders succumb.



* Start of Turn: Devouring Fire Recharge; r(2). Fails.

* Move Action: 5 squares to E18.

* Standard Action: Withering Heat (R5) vs D1's Will: r(12) +13 = 25; Hit. r(4, 6) +4 = 14 necrotic damage. D1 IS OUT OF COMBAT.


LOCATION: Blue F in E18.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: D1 IS OUT OF COMBAT.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: BF @ 40/92
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Cursed by I, Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted, Devouring Fire cooldown; Recharge 5/6.




Across the battlefield, the Defenders of Dolg Olsolis successfully cover their retreat from the giant scorpion with spearthrusts and feints.

KELDAN, now, is acutely aware that he is aflame. He stumbles back into the side square, beating his hands frantically against his battle vestments but to no avail.

"If I am to return to the radiant embrace of Omthala, I shall take you with me!" he shouts through gritted teeth. But the pain is too much. He cannot strike the killing ray.


* Starts turn: Takes 5 OG fire damage

* Move: D3 4 squares P18 to O22. TRIGGERS OA FROM BS Chelicerae Chomp, r(1)=automiss. K moves 4 squares K15 to G17.

* Standard: Omthala's Wrath vs OF, r(3)+12=15 vs 21 Reflex. Miss.

* Ends turn: Saves vs OG 5 fire, r(5). Fails. (No allies within 3.)

LOCATION: D3 in O22, K in G17
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: K 20/92, D3 35/46
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: K OG 5 fire, Nature's Rebuff and Rescue Keldan! exhausted




As Yusuf and his companion are immolated, Yasmin and Ziwar, THE BLESSED TWO, shout out in tearful unison, "No! Uncle! NOOOOOO!"

Ziwar fires a bolt at the mounted scorpion rider, sticking it squarely in their chest. But the field point is too small to cause serious injury. Weeping, the pair retreats around the corner of the thatched cottage, hoping the alleyway, choked with bloodvine as it is, is too tight for their mounted foe to follow.


* Begins turn: Recharge Pinion (5,6), r(3). Fails to recharge.

* Standard: Hand Crossbow R10/20 vs OF, r(20)= CRIT, 11 damage.

* Move: 6 squares B14 to H12.

LOCATION: H12
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 11 to OF
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: 56/94
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: Pinion on cooldown, Recharge (5,6)




BLUE SCORPION: 21/120 Cursed by I, TS&S cooldown; Recharge 3/4/5/6
BLUE FLAMEHAND: 40/92 Cursed by I, Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted, Devouring Fire cooldown; Recharge 5/6.
ORANGE SCORPION: 86/120
ORANGE FLAMEHAND: 25/92 Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted, Devouring Fire cooldown; Recharge 5/6.


1701948505220.png


ROUND 5




"The priest" hisses the SCORPION's rider and so the mighty beast pursues.

Keldan's scythe flashes, enchantments hold and the defender remains after the clash.



* Move Action: 6 sq (circling to avoid OA) to H19.

* Standard Action: Chelicerae Chomp (M1) vs B's AC: r(7) +14 = 21. Miss.


LOCATION: Orange S in H19. Orange F in H19.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: OS @ 86/120
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: na




VEZUVVU'S FLAMEHAND intones indecipherable words of magic that invokes its primordial patron and Keldan is stricken.


* Start of Turn: Devouring Fire recharge 5/6; r(4). Fails to recharge.

* Standard Action: Withering Heat (R5) vs K's Will: r(19) +13 = 32; Hit. r(4, 5) +4 = 13 necrotic damage, and K is immobilized (save ends).


LOCATION: Orange F in H19.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 13 necrotic damage to K.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: K is immobilized (save ends).
CURRENT HP: OF @ 25/92
CURRENT BUFFS: Expert Rider
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted. Devouring Fire on cooldown.




THE BLESSED TWO have had their lives completely transformed by the events of the past several months. Before, they were but ordinary, if unusual, village girls. Now, they are capable guerilla fighters defending their home against mutant fanatics!

And so Yasmin unleashes yet another bolt, catching the scorpion's rider square in the chest. They look down, puzzled, at the fletching and nock protruding from their torso.

Yasmin loads another bolt, and she and Ziwar stealthily advance along the thatched cottage's wall.


* Starts turn: Pinion Recharge (5,6), r(2). Fails to recharge.

* Standard: Hand Crossbow R10/20 vs OF, r(14)+14=28 vs 23 AC. Hit, r(5)+5=10 damage.

* Move: Stealth 2 squares H12 to H14, r(13)+7=20 vs BF's Passive Perception (18) (no line of sight). Succeeds. Hidden. From BF.

LOCATION: H14
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 10 to OF
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: 56/94
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: Pinion on cooldown (Recharge 5,6), Hidden from BF.



IBHEA has been experiencing a crisis of faith. He has been unable to channel Delban's might to strike down his foes. Is it a sign of disfavor? Does the Sorcerer-King disapprove of his indulgence in araq? Is that it?

And then he sees the Blessed, two children, skirmishing like professional mercenaries, and he knows his faith is sound--whatever his own status, Delban's blessings abide.

When Yasmin fires a bolt into the Flamehand's chest, he seizes his opportunity. The whisky priest, wreathed in shadow still, crosses the square and spreads his fingers. This time, the familiar crackling sphere forms, and he hurls it at the Flamehand's back. The mutant freak is engulfed in black flames and topples from the scorpion.

Ibhea gives a satisfied nod across the square in the direction of the two girls and then curses the riderless beast, "May Delban's black flames sear your soul from this realm!"


* Move: 4 squares K21 to G21. Activates Shadow Walk.

* Standard: Hand of Blight R10 vs OF, r(9)+11+1 Prime Shot=21 vs 19 Fortitude. Hit, r(5)+6+r(5) Curse +r(2) Mindbite Scorn =18 necrotic and psychic damage. OF KILLED

* Minor: Curse OS.

LOCATION: G21
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 18 to OF, OF KILLED
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: OS, BS, BF Cursed.
CURRENT HP: 46/59
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: Concealment, +2 defenses vs attacks from Cursed enemies (Armor of DM)
SUEGES: 2/7






The SCORPION, tail leading overhead, rushes the Dolg Defenders lashing pointedly with its stinger while slapping wildly with the flank of the bulbous mass. The Dolg Defenders are left sprawling back and to the ground, desperately trying to deflect a fatal sting with ther shields and weaponry.


* Start of Turn: TS&S on cooldown; r(4) Recharges.

* Move Action: Move to Q22.

* Standard Action: Tail Sting & Slap (CBl2; enemies) vs D3's Fort: r(13) +14 - 2 (DolgD) = 25. Hit. r(3, 1, 6) +5 = 15 poison damage, pushes D3 2 sq to M22 and knocks D3 prone.


LOCATION: Blue S in Q22.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 15 poison damage to D3
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: D3 pushed 2 sq to M22 and knocked prone
CURRENT HP: BS @ 21/120
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Cursed, TS&S on cooldown.





VEZUVVU'S FLAMEHAND bows his head grimly.

"You are at your end priest of an impotent sun goddess."

Flames annoint Keldan's form for a moment...until a radiant bulwark shunts them away like a flare of a solar coronal ejection.

The Flamehand, whether fear or good measure of the situation, retreats for the moment.



* Start of Turn: Devouring Fire Recharge; r(5). Recharges.

* Standard Action: Devouring Fire (R5) vs K's Fort: r(7) +13 = 20; Miss.

* Move Action: 4 squares to C15.


LOCATION: Blue F in C15.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: BF @ 40/92
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Cursed by I, Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted, Devouring Fire cooldown; Recharge 5/6.




Among the remaining defenders of Dolg Olsolis, there are excruciating screams of pain from the scorpion's poison stings mixed with cries of panic. Those still living scramble desperately to their feet.

Meanwhile, across the square, KELDAN digs deep into his inner reserves, finding the will--and endurance--to persevere and fight on ... for the moment.


* Starts turn: Takes 5 OG fire damage

* Move: D3 stands up from prone

* Standard: K uses Second Wind (spends Surge, regains 23 HP, +2 defenses USoKNT)

* Ends turn: Saves vs OG 5 fire, r(3). Fails. Saves vs Immobilized, r(3). Fails.

LOCATION: G17
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: 25/92
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: Immobilized (SE), OG 5 fire, Nature's Rebuff & Save Keldan! exhausted



Perhaps they are divinely inspired by Delban. Or perhaps Ziwar's competing tactical move wins out. Regardless, THE BLESSED TWO do not chase the Bladeling Flamehand but instead weave past the scorpion's darting tail to flank the beast with the burning priest of Omthala. Ziwar strikes it with her talwar, but there is only so much force such a small body can muster; its carapace holds.

* Starts turn: Recharge Pinion r(1). Fails.

* Move: 5 squares H14 to I19, avoiding threatened squares. Now Flanking OS with K.

* Standard: Talwar vs OS, r(11)+14+2 CA=26 vs 21 AC. Hit, r(1)+5+r(1) CA=7 damage to OS.

LOCATION: I19
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 7 to OS
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: 56/94
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: In Nature's Embrace aura (+2 Will and saves), Pinion (Recharge 5,6) on cooldown



BLUE SCORPION: 21/120 Cursed by I, TS&S cooldown; Recharge 3/4/5/6
BLUE FLAMEHAND: 40/92 Cursed by I, Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted, Devouring Fire cooldown; Recharge 5/6.
ORANGE SCORPION: 79/120 Cursed by I

1701974822199.png


ROUND 6




The strange, hooklike chelicerae reach for The Blessed Two to draw them into the vast maw of the SCORPION.

A fight for their very lives is upon them.



* Standard Action: Chelicerae Chomp (M1) vs B's AC: r(20) +14 = CRIT. 29 damage to B (BLOODIED).


LOCATION: Orange S in H19.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 29 damage to B
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: OS @ 79/120
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: na



THE BLESSED TWO are in desperate straits. After Ziwar's talwar strike, the scorpion ravaged her with its mouthpincers. She is a bloody mass of flesh and exposed soft tissue.

Yasmin pulls her cousin out from the chelicerae and notices another scorpion advancing from across the square, the last of Dolg Olsolis's defenders in its path. She fires a bolt and pins the creature's chitonous form to the very earth of the agora.


* Starts turn: Recharge Pinion (5,6), r(5). Recharges.

* Move: Shifts I19 to I20.

* Standard: Pinion R10 vs BS, TRIGGERS OA FROM OF Chelicerae Chomp vs B, r(9)+14=23 vs 23 AC. Hit, r(2,3,8)+5=18 damage to B. Atk vs BS, r(16)+12=28 vs 19 Reflex. Hit, r(6,6)+7=19 damage & Restrained (DC 17).

LOCATION: I20
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 19 damage to BS
DAMAGE TO ALLIES: 18 to B
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: BS Restrained (DC 17)
CURRENT HP: 9/94 BLOODIED
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: In Nature's Embrace aura (+2 Will and saves), Pinion (Recharge 5,6) on cooldown




Despite the adversity around him, IBHEA feels reassured that the Sorcerer-King is with him, guiding his hand. "Delban, Son of the Radiant Mother, I recommit myself to you, shameful of my momentary doubt," he cries. And he feels his prayer answered with an infusion of vigor. But is it Delban? Or the lingering effect of the araq?

With confidence once again, he rounds the thatched cottage in search of the Primordial infidel. He hurls a crackling sphere of black energy, and the Flamehand is wracked with agony. But it still clings to its miserable excuse of a life.


* Minor: Deliverance of Faith, Encounter. Spend Surge & gain Surge of THP (+16)

* Move: 5 squares G21 to B17, Activates Shadow Walk.

* Standard: Hand of Blight R 10 vs BF, r(14)+11+1 Prime Shot +2 Cunning Stalker =28 vs 19 Fortitude. Hit, r(4)+6 + NO ACTION Spend Fell Might +r(7) +r(6) Curse +r(4) Mindbite Scorn + FREE ACTION Gloves of Eldritch Admixture, Spend 2 Charges +r(5,5)=37 cold and necrotic and psychic damage.

LOCATION: B17
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 37 to BF
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: BF, BS, OS Cursed
CURRENT HP: 46/59 +16 THP
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: Concealment, +2 defenses vs Cursed enemies, BF, BS, OS (Armor of DM)
SURGES: 1/7




The SCORPION claws at the ground and makes a strange, annoyed sound that almost seems like the perturbed chuffing of a bear or other animal. It pulls and yanks at the restraining bolt and anchor until it finally breaks free!

It barrels into the Dolg Defenders who plant their shields and feet in desperation to survive the deadly, awkward rush!



* Start of Turn: TS&S on cooldown; r(2) Fails to recharge.

* Move Action: Escape vs DC 17; r(11) + 9 (Athletics) = 20. Escapes.

* Standard Action: Charge to O22 and MBA Chelicerae Chomp (M1) vs D3's AC: r(19) +14 -2 (DolgD) = 31. Hit. r(3, 5, 6) +5 = 19 damage to D3.


LOCATION: Blue S in O22.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 19 damage to D3
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: BS @ 2/120
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Cursed, TS&S on cooldown.





VEZUVVU'S FLAMEHAND stares at Ibhea as the two of them share a moment of quiet, secluded standoff.

With sudden action interrupting the stillness, staff touches the earth where deep below The Burning Mountain draws its fuel. Withering Heat momentarily licks at Ibhea's form, but is immediately thwarted by The Shadowed Sun as an eclipse of Ibhea's form draws Vezzuvu's heat into an event horizon and swallows it!

Its face a visage of rage, the Flamehand raises its staff and rushes Ibhea to engage him in a melee clash for the final standoff!



* Start of Turn: Devouring Fire Recharge; r(1). Fails to recharge.

* Standard Action: Withering Heat (R5) vs I's Fort: r(5) +13 -2 (concealment) = 16; Miss.

* Move Action: 1 sq to B16.


LOCATION: Blue F in B16.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na.
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: BF @ 3/92
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: Cursed by I, Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted, Devouring Fire cooldown; Recharge 5/6.



KELDAN still is alight with the churning chaos that are the flames of The Burning Mountain. Nonetheless, he slashes at the giant scorpion before him with his shepherd's scythe, cracking its chitonous exoskeleton and causing the creature to reel sideways in pain.

The priest of Omthala burns still from the Flamehand's devouring fire, but his goddess must have intervened to lift the supernatural, and withering, heat that agonized her servant so much his very movement was impossible.

Across the square, the last of Dolg Olsolis's defenders, bloodied, maimed, and near complete incapacitation from the scorpion's charge, make a small defensive retreat.


* Starts turn: Takes 5 OG fire damage

* Standard: Sweeping Scythe vs OS, r(10)+14=24 vs 21 AC. Hit, r(7,4)+8= 19 damage & Slides 1 square H19 to I19. OS BLOODIED.

* Move: D3 Shifts 1 square M22 to L23

* Ends turn: Save vs OG 5 fire, r(5). Fails. Save vs Immobilized, r(11). Succeeds. Immobilized ends.

LOCATION: K G17, D3 L23, OS I19
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 19 to OS. OS BLOODIED
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: Slides OS to I19
CURRENT HP: K 20/92, D3 1/46
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: K OG 5 fire (SE), Rescue Keldan! and Nature's Rebuff exhausted.



Yasmin cannot allow her kinsman to die here, her purpose to Delban unfulfilled. So she drags her reeling body further away from the scorpion, which seems to fill Ziwar with renewed hope and verve.

THE BLESSED TWO will live to see their destiny as messengers of The Shadowed Sun!


* Starts turn: Recharge Pinion (5,6), r(3). Fails to recharge.

* Shift: 1 square I20 to H21

* Standard: Second Wind, spends Surge & regains 23 HP and +2 all defenses UtSoBNT

LOCATION: H21
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: 31/94
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: Pinion on cooldown, +2 all defenses UtSoBNT




BLUE SCORPION: 2/120 Cursed by I, TS&S cooldown; Recharge 3/4/5/6
BLUE FLAMEHAND: 3/92 Cursed by I, Choking Pyroclasm and Enervating Blast exhausted, Devouring Fire cooldown; Recharge 5/6.
ORANGE SCORPION: 60/120 Cursed by I

1702083053712.png


ROUND 7




Sensing a potential flanking maneuver from the pair of predators on either side of it, the SCORPION repositions subtly to prevent the gambit while probing Keldan for a bite!

A fight for their very lives is upon them.


* Move Action: Shift 1 sq to I18.

* Standard Action: Chelicerae Chomp (M1) vs K's AC: r(6) +14 = 20. Miss.


LOCATION: Orange S in I18.
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: na
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: OS @ 60/120
CURRENT BUFFS: na
CURRENT DEBUFFS: na



Ziwar looks her kinsman in the eye and nods once, a gruff appreciation. Then this one half of THE BLESSED TWO takes aim at the Flamehand stalking Delban's Messenger and lets loose a bolt that catches the Bladeling Pyromancer in the ear, penetrating their brain.

Ziwar turns back to her kinsman and Yasmin gives a brief nod in return. Then the two circle the giant scorpion before them, positioning themselves, or an ally, for a kill strike.

Ibhea turns from the crumpling form before him to The Blessed Two and back again.

"Who is the Master of Flame now, Bladeling?" he asks matter-of-factly of the corpse. "I AM!" he shouts. "I AM DELBAN'S BLACK FLAME!"


* Starts turn: Recharge Pinion (5,6), r(3) Fails.

* Standard: Hand Crossbow R10/20 vs BF, r(19)+14=33 vs 23 AC. Hit, r(3)+5=8 damage. BF KILLED. TRIGGERS IBHEA'S FELL MIGHT RECHARGE

* Move: 4 squares H21 to J19, avoiding threatened squares.

LOCATION: J19
DAMAGE TO ENEMIES: 8 to BF. BF KILLED
CONDITIONS TO ENEMIES: na
CURRENT HP: 31/94
CURRENT DE/BUFFS: Pinion on cooldown, in Nature's Embrace aura (+2 Will and Saves)




CALLING THE COMBAT
. Blue Scorpion has 2 HPs and no real options. Other Scorpion is Bloodied. Its basically resolved.

@darkbard will vignette the climax of Ibhea's Heroic Tier in the next few days while leveling up Chanvati, Pa'avu, Bita-Bousseh, Hazard to level 10. Once done, I'll frame the next obstacle in that group's Heroic Tier climax conflict.
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

darkbard

Legend
With no riders to command them, the giant scorpions are driven off. The siege of Dolg Olsolis is broken, whatever Bladeling stragglers survive limping away to lick their wounds and rejoin the main force of The Legion of Ruth on its march to Bantouk.

But at what cost? Nearly all the Dolg's combat-capable defenders are killed or maimed from the battle. So much of the agora burned down from the Invoked Pyroclasm of Vezzuvu's servants.

Ziwar's arm may never be the same, wrapped tightly in a sling with the hope that bones and tendons will be knitted with time. Keldan will bear burn scars on his back and shoulders until the day he dies, and for now sports a shaved visage, his shaggy hair and beard singed so terribly by the flames as to be unsalvageable. But he has agreed to stay behind in Dolg Olsolis and serve in its reconstruction. And as Chief Proselytizer in the planned Temple of Black Flames.

Ibhea is deemed a war hero and fêted as such, so far as the starved community can provide, which is to say with much oration and encomium but very little in the way of booty or public feasts, for there still is not enough to go around. But more importantly, the populace embraces Ibhea's message of Delban's purifying black flames; a revival of the forgotten faith seems certain to sweep across the Empire of Hageri, with the Dolgs esteemed as the locus of rebirth. And, as Prophecy foretold, The Blessed, Ten in number have been assembled.

Yet Ibhea is not without transformation himself. For one, he has not taken a drop of araq since the battle, when Delban's power seemed inaccessible to him for a time. Further, though healed now, the javelin wounds received outside the fortress walls became infected with some lingering Primordial magic. For several nights, Ibhea was wracked with horrible, fevered dreams of explosive mountaintops, rivers of lava flowing to destroy all in their path, and mad Bladelings relishing acts of war and conquest. That is behind him now, the wounds healed, though the scars are still traced with a supernatural flame. But, after hours of prayer and contemplation upon returning to Dolg Hana, Ibhea mastered this flame. In fact, he has mastered all flame now, in truth Delban's Black Flames given life.
 
Last edited:

darkbard

Legend
Below are the mechanical changes to Chanvati and Bita-Bousseh in leveling them to 10. Of note is that I made some changes via the game's retraining rules, swapping out Chanvati's L5 Daily (to Stand the Fallen) and L6 Utility (to Rousing Words), as well as adding Mind Blast as the L9 Daily and Dimensional Shortcut as the L10 Utility and Improved Initiative as his L10 Feat. Chanvati now has a Healer's Sash (L11 Waist Slot Item) and Imperial Oration (L8 Legendary Boon).

Note also the two iterations of Chanvati's MBA and its Melee 2 status.

CHANVATI, THE MERCHANT-PRINCE
Chanvati, level 10
Human, Psion|Warlord
Discipline Focus (Hybrid): Telepathy Focus (Hybrid)
Warlord Leadership: Canny Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Will
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid): Hybrid Encounter Power
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power
Background: Tyr - Embedded Spy, Nibenay - Walker of the Exalted Path, Merchant Prince (Merchant Prince Benefit)
Theme: Noble Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 17.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 15.

AC: 24 Fort: 19 Reflex: 23 Will: 25
HP: 60 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Insight +17, History +16, Diplomacy +15, Bluff +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +9, Heal +9, Intimidate +11, Nature +10, Perception +11, Religion +14, Stealth +9, Streetwise +11, Thievery +9, Athletics +7

FEATS
Bardic Ritualist: Ritual Caster
Human: Bardic Ritualist
Level 1: Staff Expertise
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 4: Bard of All Trades
Level 6: Superior Will
Level 8: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 10: Improved Initiative

Melee Basic Attack​

Accurate Staff of Psicraft +1 +9 vs. AC (+15 vs AC with Bracers), 1d8+1 damage
At-Will Weapon
Standard Action
Melee 2
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength (or Intelligence with Bracers) vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Mind Thrust
Hybrid at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Dimensional Scramble (Empty Self)
Hybrid Encounter Power: Powerful Warning
Noble Adept power: Adept's Insight
Hybrid daily 1: Living Missile
Hybrid utility 2: Mind Shroud
Hybrid daily 5: Stand the Fallen (retrained from Create Opportunity)
Hybrid utility 6: Rousing Words (retrained from Dragon's Tenacity)
Hybrid at-will/encounter 7: Force Grasp
Hybrid daily 9: Mind Blast
Hybrid utility 10: Dimensional Shortcut

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Adventurer's Kit, Alchemical Reagents (Arcana) (10), Zills, Ceramic hand, Writing case, Jade hairpin, Residuum (Any) (440), Battle Harness Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Disguise, Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Choker of Eloquence +2, Byeshk Dagger +1, 3 gems, Bracers of Mental Might (heroic tier), Staff of Psicraft +1, Philosopher's Crown (heroic tier), Gloves of Piercing (heroic tier), Floating Lantern, Healer's Sash (paragon tier), Imperial Oration (heroic tier)
RITUALS
Glib Limerick, Unseen Servant, Hold Portal, Animal Messenger

BITA-BOUSSEH, THE (ONCE?) IMPERIAL BARRISTER
Bita-Bousseh
Medium natural humanoid, tiefling
Level 10 Controller (Leader) XP 500

HP 69, Bloodied 34, Surge 17, Surges per day 8; Initiative +7

AC 25, Fortitude 22, Reflex 22, Will 24 Perception+7, Low-light vision
Speed 6
Resist 10 Fire (5 + 1/2 L)

Infernal Glower (At-Will), Fear
Ranged 10, Target: one or two creatures
Attack: +13 vs Will
Hit: 1d10 +10 damage, and Bita-Bousseh slides the target 3 squares
Bedevil the Fray (Recharge 6)
Minor Action
Attack: Ranged 5 (one ally)
Effect: Bita-Bousseh slides the target 3 squares, and they make a melee basic attack as a free action against an adjacent enemy.

Infernal Wrath (Recharge 4,5,6), Fire
Free Action Close burst 10
Trigger: An enemy within 10 squares of her hits Bita-Bousseh.
Target: The triggering enemy in the burst
Effect: The target takes 1d8 +8 fire damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of its next turn.

There Will Be Order
Immediate Reaction (Encounter)
Trigger: Bita-Bousseh or an ally within 5 squares of Bita-Bousseh is bloodied or knocked unconscious.
Effect: Bita-Bousseh or the ally spends a healing surge and gains an additional 1d6 hit points and saves against 1 effect that a save can end and shifts 3 squares, ignoring difficult terrain.

Lawyer's Dodge
Move Action (Encounter)
Effect: Bita-Bousseh shifts 3 squares and can shift through difficult terrain until the end of her next turn.

Languages Common, Supernal

Acrobatics +7 (Escape), Bluff +14, Insight +12, Stealth +9

S 11 (+5) D 14 (+7) W 14 (+7)
C 12 (+6) I 16 (+8) C 14 (+7)
 
Last edited:

Nephis

Adventurer
And here are Pa'avu's changes, as well as those of Hazard and the Goliath Tribe: her 10th Level Feat is Improved Defenses; her 9th Level Power is the Barbarian Daily 9: Rage of the Death Spirit; and her 10th Level Power is the Barbarian utility 10: Howl of the Alpha Wolf. She has added these items to her equipment: Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Helm of Vision Unclouded (paragon tier)

PA'AVU STONEBLESSED, CHAMPION OF STONEROOT
Pa'avu, level 10
Goliath, Barbarian
Feral Might: Thunderborn Wrath
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Ki Focuses)
Background: Wandering Duelist (Wandering Duelist Benefit)
Theme: Iron Wolf Warrior

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 16, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 24 Fort: 25 Reflex: 22 Will: 20
HP: 85 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +17, Endurance +12, Athletics +16, Heal +11, Intimidate +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +6, History +4, Insight +8, Nature +12, Religion +4, Stealth +7, Streetwise +5, Thievery +7

FEATS
Level 1: Monastic Disciple
Level 2: Monastic Adept
Level 4: Wasteland Wanderer
Level 6: Versatile Expertise
Level 8: Markings of the Blessed
Level 10: Improved Defenses

POWERS
Racial Power: Stone's Endurance (One with the Earth)
Hide quoted text
Barbarian at-will 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian at-will 1: Pressing Strike
Monastic Adept: Crane's Wings
Monastic Disciple: Iron Soul Flurry of Blows
Barbarian encounter 1: Resurgent Strike
Iron Wolf Warrior encounter: Iron Wolf Charge
Barbarian daily 1: Tyrant's Rage
Barbarian utility 2: Iron Resurgence
Barbarian encounter 3: Thundering Howl
Barbarian daily 5: Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Barbarian utility 6: Shrug It Off
Boon utility: Earthen Renewal
Barbarian encounter 7: Wolf's Bound
Barbarian daily 9: Rage of the Death Spirit
Barbarian utility 10: Howl of the Alpha Wolf

Melee Basic Attack

Vanguard Greatsword +1 or Rain of Hammers Ki focus +2 +16 vs. AC, 1d10+9 damage (+2 vs Bloodied)
At-Will Weapon
Standard Action Melee
1
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.
Additional Effects: Gauntlets of Blood, Rain of Hammers Ki Focus, Sigil of
Companionship


ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit (2), Crowbar, Grappling Hook, Hunter's Kit, Trail Rations (20), Vanguard Greatsword +1, Rain of Hammers Ki Focus +2, Boots of Free Movement (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Badge of the Berserker +1, Javelin (3), Marauder's Hide Armor +2, Belt of Vigor (heroic tier) (2), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Helm of Vision Unclouded (paragon tier), Power Jewel (heroic tier)

HAZARD THE BRAVE
A Dog Named Hazard Level 10 Brute
Medium natural beast (animal) XP 500
HP 83; Bloodied 41; Surge Value 20; Healing Surges 11 Initiative +7
AC 23, Fortitude 23, Reflex 21, Will 20 Perception +12
Speed 6

Standard Actions
(⚔) Bite ✦ At-Will
Special: Hazard cannot use this attack while Savage Protector is enabled
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +15 vs. AC.
Hit: 1d12+ 10 damage, or 2d10 + 10 damage while the dog is within 2 squares of an ally.

Minor Actions
Rabid Lunge✦ Encounter
Effect: The reach of Hazard’s Melee powers increases to Melee 2 and he ignores the effects of the dazed, immobilized, and slowed conditions until the end of his next turn.

Savage Protector✦ At-Will
Effect: Hazard gains +2 Armor Class, cannot use Bite, gains Snarl and Snap and Harrier. This Effect can be ended with a Minor Action.

Standard Actions
(⚔) Snarl & Snap✦ At-Will
Special: Hazard must enable this power through Savage Protector
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +15 vs. AC.
Hit: 1d10 + 10 damage
Effect: Hazard marks the target until the end of Hazard’s next turn.

(⚔) Harrier✦ At-Will
Special: Hazard must enable this power through Savage Protector
Trigger: An enemy that is marked by Hazard and is adjacent to it shifts or makes an attack that doesn’t include it as a target.
Attack (Immediate Reaction): Melee 1 (the triggering enemy); +15 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 +10 damage, and Hazard slides the target 1 square.

Triggered Actions
Furious Comeback✦ Encounter
Special: Hazard cannot use this while in Savage Protector
Trigger: Hazard’s attack damages an enemy
Effect (Free Action): Spend a healing surge.

Skills Athletics (Escape) +14, Perception +12
Str 18 (+9) Dex 14 (+7) Wis 14 (+7)
Con 14 (+7) Int 10 (+5) Cha 11 (+5)

Equipment: Sigil of Companionship (Heroic Tier)

IRON GORGON TRIBE
Summon Iron Gorgon Tribe
The goliath tribe you rescued from the fell clutches of The Dread Star heeds
your call.
Daily ✦ Summoning
Standard Action Ranged 5
Effect: You summon a Large tribe of goliaths in an unoccupied space within
range. You and your allies gain a +2 power bonus to AC while within 2
squares of the tribe. You can give the tribe the following special command.
On the turn you summon the tribe, you give that command as part of using
this power.
Standard Action: Melee 2; targets one creature; Level +3 vs. Fortitude; 2d6 +
1/2 level damage.
Instinctive Effect: If you haven't given the tribe any commands by the end of
your turn, it attacks an adjacent enemy if it can. Otherwise, it moves its
speed to a square where it is within 2 squares of as many allies as possible.
 
Last edited:

Alright, we cut back to our original crew after the heave dealt with the affairs of Red Rock. We're left at:

1) Goal: Outrace the bladeling legions from Dolg Hana to the capital gates (6 successes) and attain audience with the Empress (10 successes).

5/10 Successes (1 Hard DC Available)/1 Failure/2 Secondary Skills Available/1 Advantages Available

2) Reminder that this is a level 11 SC, so the DCs are 13/19/27.

3) We need to get from Red Rock to Bantouk's gates. Are you guys going to facilitate that with 1/10 magic item cost in coin for auto-success at Medium DC; caravan? That would be 500 coin. After which, you'll be at 6 Successes and I'll frame an obstacle at Bantouk gates.

Or do you want me to frame a journey obstacle to get to the gates?

4) Looking ahead, once you arrive in Bantouk, where do your instincts tell you to go?

* Chanvati's property.

* The Cathedral of Light.

* The Dome of Illumination.

* The Palace.




PLAYER ANSWERS

3) "...though we have the coin to spare, an additional obstacle en route to Bantouk appeals more."

4) <Abstracted> C&P are heading to the Dome of Illumination once within the city, to bring things full circle by inquiring of/confronting The Oracle about what it has foreseen and also interrogating that other extraplanar entity, The Mind (the shardmind watcher unparalleled mental prowess), which surely must hold secrets beyond what a typical custodian of a library might possess. Like, "canonically," the Lattice Gate or whatever is what protected our plane from incursions from The Far Realm (ie, Caiphonian entities). Are Shardminds some aftereffect of the Gate's shattering?




The road to Red Rock is as straight of a shot through the badlands to the northern gates of Bantouk as one could ask for. It skirts many of the worst dangers of the southern Hinterlands. However, there is one danger that is always present on the roads; Feral Raiders.

++++++++++

The boy-child shovels hard earth. The girl-child watches. The priest anoints the live-body being buried.

"On the next dawn, the snuffed body was reborn by Her's Skyflame, kindling burden and divine purpose deep in its heart."

A splash of holy water on the ritual grave as the heaping crescendos with notable, choked tears from the boy.

The priest speaks but without comfort.

"Fear not boy. It is you as much as I who deliver this warrior to her holy destination. Reborn, they will burn out the heretic who delivers false doctrine in the villages beyond; Omthala be praised."

Despite this, the boy still cries. The young girl now joins him, quill and parchment in hand. The figures are far enough away that they are difficult to make out...but the distinct cries are notable; Farzin and Para. Chanvati's nephew and niece claimed by the Inquisition so long ago to remand as The Inquisitors see fit.

The priest approaches Para and pulls her chin up to meet his gaze. "You were both in the custody of a vile Warlock of The Dread Star since your first moments in the crib, child. Your brother has shown the signs of terrible affliction. You have seen them with your own eyes. If his part in this holy ritual does not burn away Hakhaman's corruption and deliver him into the bosom of Omthala, then nothing will. Commissioned by our Goddess, you must record this with sincerity...for your brother's sake, for your own sake."

+++++++++++

The strange winds her pile dunes on either side of the civilization-hewn road. Chanvati and Pa'avu watch from the ridge of the western dunes as the scouts for the notorious badlands Lizardfolk tribe, The Grimtooths, watch unseen atop the eastern dunes. Their mouths are a poison that is nearly unmatched in history. It is said that a singular bite spreads a foulness that can claim a life before the body hits the ground.

The Grimtooths hate Bantouk civilization for they claim that the entire region used to be their own epochs ago. They do not leave survivors.

However, they spare children, folding them into their clans but also claiming them as trophies to spread misery by way of the one survivor they leave alive to tell the tale of woe that befell them.





What do you do? The caravan here will easily provide succor back to Bantouk. The Cathedral of Light is obliged to help weary desert wanderers if you can disguise yourselves as such (this approach would be HIGH DC and failure would lead to a combat as it is known by now that Chanvati et al are associates, presumed sponsors and facilitators, of Ibhea's heresy).

The Grimtooths have no need for the infrastructure of wood carved into carriage and wheel. They would not put horse to the spear out of spite nor do they enjoy the taste of its flesh. Do you let them carry out their raid (which would lead to Chanvati's nephew/niece given eggress from this fate but delivered into another...and would also require some kind of "caravan-master" move to the city's gates...but it would be at MEDIUM DC).

Do you interfere...with the Revenant-producing ritual before you or the soon-to-be Feral Raider attack (which would be a nested combat).

Do you attempt some kind of parlee with either side for some purpose related to your goal here (which would be nested Complexity 1 SC).

Something else?
 
Last edited:

Nephis

Adventurer
Pa'avu watches both scenes, apparently impassively, but within herself her mind is whirling with possibilities and scenarios, while her gut is roiling with memory. Whether that priest is Omthalan or not is not of import to her: his vile and unnatural act of altering the living into the not-quite-dead is abhorrent to her core belief in the natural order. Death happens, sometimes gloriously so. Life happens, and it is not always easy. But what this priest is attempting to create is a being in both states and outside of both. That must not happen: as a child she witnessed such acts and her tribal family's quick dealings with such corruptions. She can still viscerally recall her l'pahb'gin shuddering in horror at seeing flesh change color, at expression turn from lively to dull ... but still breathing!

In addition, there are the two children. While Pa'avu's role in their capture was inadvertent, her expectation has been that the gracious upbringing of these two young ones would lead to their being bondsman and maiden to those who would use their skills well, not bondage to one who is himself in bondage to necromancy and other unnatural acts. These two are too young to have participated in their parent's misdeeds against the merchant-prince and should not have to pay thus. Life is servitude and work and sweat, but it should not be poisoned by association with such wickedness.

The goliath turns her thoughtful focus back to the hidden scouts, wondering if they and their kin could somehow be the answer to the quandary of what to do. Could the Grimtooths be convinced to parlay with them? To do so, Chanvati would certainly need to disguise himself: while Pa'avu's tribal history of dealings with them hold memories of a kind of honor, she is all too aware of their distaste of the residents of Bantouk ... for good reason, she feels. Her affection for Chanvati does not cloud her own distaste for the fineries and entitlement of the wealthier classes of her adopted land.

Pa'avu turns to her companions. "These two - your sister's progeny - are yet young, and thus their minds are still fertile and malleable. They can be grown into strong warriors or poisoned and made weak by unnatural teachings. I've seen this in the captives of the Grimtooths, I've seen it in the palaces, I've even seen it - very occasionally - in my own people: this early time is crucial for influencing them one way or another. I propose we use the opportunity to parlay with these feral raiders in our midst to take care of the taint of that necromancer, while we take those two - as your kin or as my charge - into our company. It is possible that belonging to you - being of Bantouk - is not an advantage in this moment."

The goliath looks back at the two scenes they are witnessing before continuing: "Farzin and Para are no longer pampered younglings and deserve the opportunity to grow into their destinies - possibly great ones. But this is not possible if they remain in the taint of corruption they are presently in, nor if they are beaten down by Grimtooth captors. We must at least make the attempt to obtain their freedom."

Chanvati stares, open-mouthed for a moment, for never has he heard so many words at once from his bodyguard. Whole days, in fact, have gone by without so many utterances from her!

"Darling, close your mouth. You're gaping," observes Bita-Bousseh.

"Why, yes, Pa'avu. Whatever you think here," he responds after recovering himself. He does not care either way about the rituals of Omthalan priests in the desert. Nor of the age-old grudge of reptiles against mammals. His concerns are of a grander scale: the threat to civilization that the approaching Horde poses to Bantouk ... and his family's holdings and interests.

* * *

Pa'avu can still recall a few occasions in her childhood when her tribal clan encountered individual clans of Grimtooths. These often were times the goliaths were interrupting - possibly intentionally, sometimes definitely not - ambushes the group of lizardfolk had planned to enact (never on the Goliaths themselves: the Grimtooths would have been foolish to do so, especially since their poison bite did not seem to work as well on goliath biology).

Upon finding themselves observed, the Grimtooths usually sent a party to parley with Pa'avu's people. Pa'avu, using her noteworthy skills of observation compares the dress she observes in these scouts with her memories of these encounters.

While she cannot see any of the soft white condor neck feathers worn by the elders who had come to her clanfathers and mothers to negotiate, she does see the exceptionally long tail feathers of that enormous bird. The Grimtooths traditionally wear them in headdress, the feathers hanging down their backs like the long black they never had. The heads of these scouts are similarly adorned.

Pa'avu nods to herself, then turns back to her party. Catching the eyes of both N'Gauthak and Or'lia, the goliath gestures to them to join her. While awaiting their arrival, Chanvati's Sahtree turns to her Gosb'tar and requests the loan of one of his zils. Puzzled, Chanvati complies and steps back to make room for the new arrivals. A brief back and forth in giantish ensues, then both N'Gauthak and Or'lia nod at their leader with feral grins

Pa'avu looks at the slightly confused faces of Chanvati and Bita-Bousseh with a small smile. "I do actually have a plan. You'll see: they will come, and ... I am confident... they will come for parley."

Then, the three goliaths climb up to the ridge, accompanied by Pa'avu's beloved and enormous hound, to a place where they will remain unseen by the humans below but where - with flash of sun on a shiny zil - it will become obvious to the scouts that, not only they have been seen, but they have been seen by dangerous folk."




Chanvati's reaction/thoughts above are input from @darkbard.

@Manbearcat, we are - obviously - going to attempt some kind of parley with the Grimtooths to allow/facilitate the raid on the Omthalan party, while claiming the children as payment.

Primary Skill Perception check to confirm identity of these particular Grimtooths with protocol known to Pa'avu: +17 + 2 (within 5 squares of Chanvati) + 2 (circumstance bonus, Feral Raider background) = Autosuccess vs. 18 Moderate DC
 
Last edited:

Alright, nested Complexity 1 SC, of-level (10) SC with the Grimtooths.

Goal: Parley with the Grimtooths to allow/facilitate the raid on the Omthalan party, while claiming the children as payment.

DCs 13/18.

1/4 Successes (0 Hard DCs available)/0 Failures/1 Secondary Skill Available




The harvested black plumage goes from head to hand as the dress worn is a signifier of coming violence or war. The lead scout hands her headdress to her subordinate as she will need both hands for what is to come whether it be words or war. She signals in simple gestures as the Feral Raiders of the Hinterlands both don't all share common language and, more importantly, they don't want the fragility of spoken tone to mistakenly convey something untoward.

Grey reptilian hands flash in sequence:

"Grimtooth claim Bantouk kills from <she points to a line of creosote in the distance> Greasebush to <she points to an eerie mirage in the east> False Spire."

A slow shrug without breaking eye contact intensity.

"Territory dispute? Test of arms?"

A mesquite tree haft with jagged flint head is slung from her shoulder to resting hands in a matter-of-fact, but nonthreatening, manner.





What do you guys do?

MEDIUM DC
 

Nephis

Adventurer
A ring of Iron Gorgons and Grimtooths, as well as Bita-Bousseh and her consort (both acting as Pa'avu's servile advisor and amusement, respectively), is formed behind the ridge and out of sight and hearing of Omthalans down below. PA'AVU prepares for her physical contesting of rights to the proposed hunting grounds by carefully placing her bracers and armguards into the barrister's care and cracking her neck and knuckles. Then, she turns to her opponent and smiles, giving a small "Come at me" gesture with her fingers.

The Grimtooth female takes the bait and flies forward, ready to throw Pa'avu to the ground. Instead, the goliath twists around at the last possible moment, catching her around the waist before lifting - and holding - the lizardfolk above her head. Then, Pa'avu slowly, slowly lowers her opponent to the ground, making a great show of her immense and powerful muscles, finally placing her gently but firmly on the ground, lying on her back.

Then the goliath steps back and, with a grin, reaches out her hand to help the lizardfolk up. Both standing again, Pa'avu makes a sign indicating that she faces a worthy opponent.


Pa'avu makes a Primary Skill Athletics check to claim territorial rights through show of strength: r(11) + 16 = 27 vs. 18 Moderate DC
 

2/4 Successes (0 Hard DCs available)/0 Failures/1 Secondary Skill Available




The lead scout cuts the same sign that Pa'avu extended to her; "worthy opponent."

She scrunches and flexes her snout as she thinks.

Hands a deliberate flurry:

"Grimtooths claim girl-child, sun-priest, and one servitor to maim; survivor message-sends to Bantouk. To you we give boy-child, other servitors, and horses save maimed servitor's for riding."

Hands out flat, palm-facing, and wide signal "agreed?"





MEDIUM DC
 

darkbard

Legend
Behind his bleached lacquered mask, CHANVATI smiles. He had always admired the talents of the pantomime actors of the Black Stage. Had even allowed himself the occasional wistful daydream as a boy of running away, donning the black robes and white mask, and performing on stage. Ah, if not for the responsibilities of his position and a caste-system that strictly forbid such professions to the merchant class....

"Mistress, please," he retrieves his zils from Pa'avu and makes a deep, ridiculous bow. Then, with a show of gestures, he indicates that he will communicate his mistress's counteroffer.

He plays a pleasant if monotone rhythm with his fingers, all the while pantomiming in gambol and mock heroic pose the might of the Iron Gorgon Tribe, their fierce hunger for human flesh--especially that of the children--and the ease with which they could dispatch the lizardfolk should they so choose.

"But in respect for feather-crown
Who strides the sand and thistledown
We offer up the gilded priest
To lard the pot at your next feast!"

He culminates his rhyme with a ridiculous little dance emulating a happy and sated Grimtooth clan.




Chanvati uses Glib Tongue (paying the 10 gp residuum cost for the ritual) to roll twice for his Primary Skill Bluff check to convince the lizardfolk scout his people would be lucky to escape with their lives and yet are to be rewarded with a satisfactory consolation prize in this territorial dispute, r(3,19) +15 = 34 vs. 18 Moderate DC. Success.
 


AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Upcoming Releases

Top