The Sort of TTRPGs You Want More (and Less) Of

DwarfHammer

Explorer
I notice a lot of not wanting to play other rpg systems. Yet we want to make d&d like those other systems. Any quite fathom that. Now I understand a small tweak here and there to create a different setting. But some of this stuff is a major rewrite.

Retreater

Legend
Numenera wasn't a hit with our group. Could Cypher be a better fit?
The balance seemed off. The DR was so high, most characters couldn't do anything. The wizard could only spam one power and it got boring.

I don't have time to learn a new system. Heck, I barely have time to learn D&D. Other than updates here and there and new source material, I don't need other RPG's. However, I also don't feel the need to keep them from others.

Aldarc

Legend
I love the fact that Old School D&D is making such a huge resurgence... but it seems like so much of the OSR community is only into FFVN, grimdark, and horror gaming.
Same. There is a lot of creativity in the OSR, but a lot of it does feel like it's catering to this sort of niche.

Not at all referring to blasting spells in my example. Just an example of how an example can be taken the wrong way. lol. Love it.

Blue rose is exactly a game I don’t like. lol
Okay. You had listed characters with blasting/attack superpowers, such as a laser vision, atomic power, etc. so I thought you were talking more about blasting mutants. Blue Rose does have genetic overlap with the superhero genre, since it came out of Mutants & Masterminds, but it's meant to be more like magical talent in the romantic and young adult fantasy fiction. Admittedly, Blue Rose is not for everyone's taste, but it does emulate its genre well.

Numenera wasn't a hit with our group. Could Cypher be a better fit?
The balance seemed off. The DR was so high, most characters couldn't do anything. The wizard could only spam one power and it got boring.
If you don't like Numenera, you probably won't like the generic Cypher System.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
For the most part, I don't want to say there's any kind of game I want to see less of-- there's a whole lot of stuff I'm just not interested in, but I'm genuinely happy that it does exist for the people who are into it.

I buy a lot of random, cheap 3pp for PF and 5e, and a lot of it just makes me think "well, that could have been a cheeseburger", but I'm sure one of the other two guys who bought it... enjoyed it enough for the three of us, and I'm happy. I helped someone keep doing something that makes them happy, by making other people happy, and that makes me happy.

It seems like an unfortunate time to mention that I never liked proprietary dice. I hope Star Wars and Legend of the Five Rings come back soon. After my violent rejection of the last two versions of Gamma World, and the ugliness surrounding them, I hope Gamma World comes back soon. I've been trying to wrap my head around Palladium for years, and I've never been able to, but I hope they're with us forever and I hope Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comes back soon. (I am aware of FERAL; I back the Patreon campaign off-and-on.) I hope Masters of the Universe gets another chance, and brings the Princesses of Power with it.

4e/5e and PF2 have already eliminated the parts of D&D I absolutely hated the most, though for various other reasons I'm still not interested in them.

So... really... the only thing I would even suggest I want to see less of in RPGs is morality mechanics, especially the kind that leverage mental illness as a punishment for "immoral" behavior.

aramis erak

Legend
I love the fact that Old School D&D is making such a huge resurgence... but it seems like so much of the OSR community is only into FFVN, grimdark, and horror gaming.
What is FFVN?

That's not what I played in the Old School.

I'd love to see less judging of people by "I didn't play that way back then"... most styles of play existed by 1979... by '79, there were over a dozen RPGs in print, and several that had gone out of print. Including people doing Gor inspired D&D campaigns. Some people doing Theater of the Mind, others playing D&D as a minis-wargame, and most spots in between.

Call of Cthulhu was popular from release onward, and the Cthulhu Mythos was also a strong presence in AD&D... I didn't use much from it, other than illithids (aka Mind Flayers), but the '77 Monster Manual has a number of other references besides the Illithids. So, at least by '77, TSR was supporting the "D&D as horror game"... and it became much more open when Ravenloft was released in '83.

Everyone's talking about Spelljammer for 5e, but where's the Spelljammer OSR? Where is my Saturday morning cartoon D&D, my Hong Kong action-fantasy D&D, my incomprehensible 30 year old JRPG D&D?

I mean, I'm trying to be the change I want to see in the world... but I can't be the only person who likes this stuff, can I?
Even in its heydey, I can't recall anyone I knew actually playing the Spelljammer setting. When I gave a party a spelljamming helm, they never even tried going more than double bowshot range from the ground. Not just once, but three separate campaigns. But there are people who played it. I just couldn't meet any back in the day. I inherited my copies from a roommate who bailed...

What is FFVN?

I'd love to see less judging of people by "I didn't play that way back then"... most styles of play existed by 1979... by '79, there were over a dozen RPGs in print, and several that had gone out of print. Including people doing Gor inspired D&D campaigns. Some people doing Theater of the Mind, others playing D&D as a minis-wargame, and most spots in between.

Call of Cthulhu was popular from release onward, and the Cthulhu Mythos was also a strong presence in AD&D... I didn't use much from it, other than illithids (aka Mind Flayers), but the '77 Monster Manual has a number of other references besides the Illithids. So, at least by '77, TSR was supporting the "D&D as horror game"... and it became much more open when Ravenloft was released in '83.

Even in its heydey, I can't recall anyone I knew actually playing the Spelljammer setting. When I gave a party a spelljamming helm, they never even tried going more than double bowshot range from the ground. Not just once, but three separate campaigns. But there are people who played it. I just couldn't meet any back in the day. I inherited my copies from a roommate who bailed...
Bump
I was also confused as to what FFVN is.

Remove ads