D&D General The story your friends still talk about...

Shiroiken

Legend
We were outside of a walled garden at night, while inside an NPC ally was being held by several guards. We had no idea where they were, and decided to scale the wall separately, hoping to give at least 1 PC a chance to get to the NPC before the guards slit his throat. The DM did this as a Skill Challenge, and one of the PCs used an ability to grant everyone their modifier for Stealth. We had to roll a 1 to fail, so everyone expected this was going to be cake, but instead, on the initial set of rolls, three players rolled a 1, causing immediate failure. As I was the one to do the countdown, I simply replied "I signal the party to go on three," began to countdown on my fingers, then yelled "THREE!!!" Everyone busts out laughing, and now whenever someone rolls a 1 on a stealth check, that character just randomly yells out "THREE."

Not my regular group, but one I've played with has a phrase called "volcanoing the adventure." In one of their high level 3E games, the DM set a lich's lair inside of an active volcano, and they were supposed to go in and kill him. Instead, one of the players figures out how to turn the lava down into the lair itself, killing everything. The DM pointed out that the lich is still alive inside the phylactery, but the player shrugged and said "everyone will be long dead before he gets near a body to animate, so close enough. Now if the DM in that group has a flawed premise the PCs can simply ignore, they "volcano" it.

Remove ads