• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Swordsage: A 5e Martial Adept

Ashkelon

First Post
Some of my favorite classes from 3e were the martial adepts, warriors who learned epic maneuvers allowing them to perform martial feats far beyond what their mundane counterparts were capable of. These martial adepts had a number of options, giving them meaningful tactical choices to make on a round by round basis.

5e fails to deliver this style of martial combatant as most weapon users lack any combat capabilities beyond the basic actions of attack, grapple, or shove. Even battlemaster fighter lacks maneuvers that scale in both capability and scope as they level. It also has too few maneuvers to allow for interesting decisions to be made each round of combat.

To bring back some of the feel of the 3e martial adepts, I decided to try my hand at creating a 5e version of these classes. The Swordsage is a weapon using martial combatant who combines strength of arms and ki use to produce incredible effects.

The class is primarily designed to fill a mobile skirmisher role, much like a rogue or monk, with slightly more emphasis on combat prowess and less on battlefield control or utility.

The class is somewhat less durable than a fighter, paladin, or barbarian, and also deals less damage than those classes, but has a variety of martial options that allow it to perform well in a number of combat situations.

Let me know what you think of the class and if you think any abilities should be modified. I would love your feedback.

Here is a detailed damage analysis between the fighter, swordsage, paladin, and barbarian for those who are curious. And THIS is the google drive version of the class.

P.S. If anyone has any art they think might go well with the class, feel free and post it.

Last edited:

Remove ads