• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Three Musketeers (2011)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm hoping to see it this weekend, and I think my expectations were set appropriately not so much by the airships as the psuedo-gatling cannons and Lady deWinter pulling off wuxia-level action stunts in the trailer I saw.

I expect some action and romp in a swashbuckly style. They give me that, I'll probably be happy with it.

Felon

First Post
Even if that swashbucklery action is moving through mollases?

"Wow, look at that 3D cannonball flying straight at me...very, very slooooowly. Oh, look, it's going to hit her, except that she's bending over backwards to get out of its way...very sloooowly. "

Mallus

Legend
I hope it lasts another week in the theaters... don't have time to see it this weekend.

For some reason this... calls to me. It might be the flamethrowers on the airships, or the quasi-wuxia. I also really curious about Roland Emmerich's take on costume drama and Shakespeare criticism :).

I have a broad and frequently incoherent taste in movies (next up in Netflix... working my way through Bunuel and Haneke).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Even if that swashbucklery action is moving through mollases?

"Wow, look at that 3D cannonball flying straight at me...very, very slooooowly. Oh, look, it's going to hit her, except that she's bending over backwards to get out of its way...very sloooowly. "

"Bullet time" has been well-established as a trope for over a decade, and is certainly less annoying than "shakey cam".

Given the genre, maybe it is more... musket-ball time....

Felon

First Post
"Bullet time" has been well-established as a trope for over a decade, and is certainly less annoying than "shakey cam".

Given the genre, maybe it is more... musket-ball time....
LOL.

The established use of bullet time is to present elaborate action scenes. Scenese that would otherwise be a blur of motion that an audience couldn't fully appreciate. Paul Anderson uses it as the de facto way to present action, to such an extent it winds up sucking the impact right out of a scene. So, every bullet, hurled weapon, cannonball, or other manner of projectile can be counted on to tumble through the air listlessly, and it most cases wind up missing their target thanks to slow-mo leaning back or turn of the head. Explosions are devoid of any explosivenss. And in 3D we'll get plenty of scenes of things being chucked at the camera in bullet time because we are, of course, all still impressed by that sort of thing.

I rather liked Pandorum though.

Dear Hollywood,

Thank you for listening to me gripe. I want you to do something for me that may be very, very hard for you; make a movie where the dialogue script is written before the stunt portion of the script.

Also, no bullet time, quasi-Chinese martial arts wire-fu, poor costume design/research, shoddy backdrops, bullet rigs, gasoline powered explosions, the incredible shots from a single weapon that could miss the broad side of barn when fired en masse or mixing of historical tropes with modernization. Yes I realize that women used to be looked upon as second-class citizens in society, but many of the plays of that day still gave their leading women (or at least the men who played their parts) interesting things to do, say and act upon. You should try reading some of it sometime, it's really very good.

I'm sure that naval combat can be interesting without the addition of the captain that cannot miss or the single vessel that can take on a fleet. It doesn't happen in real life all that often, and when it does, it usually turns out badly for the single ship. Sure a fantasy movie should have whimsy, but a movie that claims to be based on historical events should at the very least have a technical director that didn't fail high school social studies.

I realize this may be hard for you to understand, as most everyone in Hollywood is telling you "yes, yes, that's a great idea, JB", but trust me, it's not. I find that cartoons and animated movies are much more enjoyable and in many cases believable than the crap you put on cellulose. It's a shame they can't win real Oscars anymore, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs did just fine.

Your truly,
The non-brain dead ticket buying public.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads