log in or register to remove this ad

 

The Tournament of Flowers, Part II [Orsal Judging][Concluded]


log in or register to remove this ad

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: I guess Rowan won't be taking 'extend spell' as his next feat as intended if he can't use it while raging. :p Thanks for the catch, Patlin. I'm a rules lightweight, as you know.
For round 3 Rowan will forgo combat expertise and tripping. His HPs are back at 14.


BIC: Rowan feels his opponent is injured enough for the finisher. He lashes out with his flail again at his opponent.

OOC: attack; dmg: 20+6=26; 10+6=16. Damn. Hate to waste that roll on a half-dead zombie...
 

El Jefe

First Post
Patlin said:
Boog runs around the wall, and finds that the Miller's house is attached to the back of the mill.
Boog's first response to discovering that the door near the cleric didn't lead to the outside wasn't fit for polite company. Quickly, he thought to his companions, "This is going to take longer than I thought, I have to go through another building first." His private thoughts were a little different: "A creature of pure thought. If I were a creature of pure thought, I could go through those walls." Where had that come from? He'd read something like that in the monastery library, hadn't he? That thought, that idea kept coming back to him.[sblock=OoC: ]
Patlin said:
[At a run, Boog can cover quite a lot of distance in a straight line. Where does he wish to stop running -- anywhere V8 to V-8 would be fine.]
V-7, just past the corner, will be fine. As Boog runs, he'll try to glance into the windows of the house to get an idea of the layout inside. However, if there is an open window on the east side of the house, Boog will probably stop due east of it, with the intention of climbing through it on the next round.[/sblock]
 

Patlin

Explorer
Manzanita said:
Thanks for the catch, Patlin. I'm a rules lightweight, as you know.

ooc: But a roleplaying heavyweight! :)

Round 3 Concludes
As the Cleric finishes his chanting, a man-sized scorpion appears (at T15) and heads towards the melee. It hustles over to I20, menacing Rowan.

The Cleric who summoned it follows in its wake, moving to t16.

Julianna swings at z3 but missed.

Rowan destroys z2 with a mighty blow.

The zombies reach for Rowan once again, with eerie persistance. Fortunately, they are ineffectual.
 

Patlin

Explorer
Code:
  A |B |C |D |E |F |G |H |I |J |K |L |M |N |O |P |Q |R |S |T |U |V |W |X |Y |Z

-9  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-8  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-7  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-6  |  |  |  |[]|[]|[]|[]|DD|[]|[]|[]|[]|oo|[]|[]|[]|[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-5  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-4  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-3  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-2  |  |  |  |oo|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
-1  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
00  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |oo|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
01  |  |  |  |oo|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
02  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
03  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
04  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
05  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
06  |[]|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|DD|--|--|--|--|[]|  |  |  |  |
07  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|Bo|  |  |  |
08  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
09  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
10  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
11  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
12  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
13  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
14  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
15  |mm|mm|mm|mm|mm|ww|ww|ww| w|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |[]|  |  |  |  |
16  |mm|mm|mm|mm|mm|mm|ww|ww| w|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |h1|[]|  |  |  |  |
17  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
18  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
19  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |ww|ww|ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
20  |[]|  |  |  |  |  |  |Sc|  |  |  |ww|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
21  |[]|  |  |  |  |z1|Ro|z3|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |[]|  |  |  |  |
22  |--|--|--|--|--|--|--|dd|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|[]|  |  |  |  |
23  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |Ju|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
24  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
25  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
26  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |

-- = horrizontal wall
[] = vertical wall
ww = Mill Wheel: dangerous and difficult terrain, provides partial cover if you fire across it
mm = other mill machinery, as above but less dangerous to cross

z1 = Zombie 1, etc.
h1 = Human Cleric
Ju = Julianna
Bo = Boog
Ro = Rowan

dd = open door
DD = closed door
oo = window
 

Patlin

Explorer
Round 4 Begins
Boog slows as he rounds the corner, examining the window. [From u1] he can see curtains inside the fixed piece of glass, though he gets the impression something is moving about beyond them.

The scorpion attacks Rowan, missing with the evil looking stinger and one claw, but critically hitting Rowan for 4 damage with the remaining claw. [Rowan: Beat a DC 9 grapple check or be grappled.]

The Cleric moves up to N21.

[Rowan is up...]
 


El Jefe

First Post
Patlin said:
Boog slows as he rounds the corner, examining the window. [From u1] he can see curtains inside the fixed piece of glass, though he gets the impression something is moving about beyond them.
Boog was pretty bright, and he figured things out quickly. "If they're moving, they're not tied up, and they're not the hostages, but confederates...it'll take too long, even if I can beat them", he reasoned. His mental message to the rest of his group was much more terse: "No good - I'm coming back." He abruptly turned on his heels and made all haste to help his partners in the fight.[sblock=OoC: ]Boog will move as quickly as possible to the vicinity of I23 - Juliana's current position.[/sblock]
 

Manzanita

First Post
Rowan wrenches his arm out of the scorpion's claw w/o difficulty. Juliana acts before Rowan. If she successfully downs z3, Rowan will take the withdrawl action, moving 40 feet back out of the mill. At an apporximate diagonal, he would end up at about N26.

If Juliana doesn't drop z3, Rowan has no choice but to stand and deliver. He'd shift to face z3, and smack it with his flail.


OOC: Opposed grapple check 12+6=18. Rowan at 10 HPs. I'll resist rolling an attack against z3, b/c I'm pretty sure Juliana's got it. By moving to I22 directly (diagonally), Rowan should be able to avoid any AoOs in his withdraw.
 

Patlin

Explorer
Round 4 Concludes
Rowan delays till after Julianna.

Julianna slashes at Z3, dealing 5 more damage to the monster she had previously injured for 6. It's still up and fighting. [ooc: You both seemed pretty sure it would go down... did I miss some damage?]

Rowan, seeing his route still blocked, swings his flail at the offending Zombie but misses.

The Zombies attack Rowan, dealing 13 damage and dropping the Barbarian to the ground.

Another Revised Initiative
Boog
Scorpion
Human Cleric
Julianna
Rowan
Zombies
 

Patlin

Explorer
Hearing the Barbarian go down, the Knight chuckles softly from his position sitting with his back to the wall a short distance away from Julianna.

"It seems the tides of war have shifted. Release me from my Parole, and I will accept your surrender in turn. Else I shall be just as free once the Zombies rend your flesh..."
 


El Jefe

First Post
Boog raced back to the door where Rowan had entered the building, crossbow in hand. He wondered how soon some enemies would come into view. If he couldn't do anything else, he'd shoot a zombie with his crossbow.
 

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: Not sure now why I was so convinced Juliana would drop it. I guess I thought zombies had 11 hps. I looked them up; they usually have 16. It's their AC that's normally 11. For what its worth, Rowan's flail attack is at +6 (+4 raging strength +2 BAB), so he would have hit AC 11 on that strike, doing 9 pts, reduced to 4, still probably not enough to drop it. If it did have an AC of 11, then Juliana would have hit it in round 3, too. Whatever's fine. It's tough going back to fix stuff retroactively. I'm fine with however it's handled.
 

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: My narrative must have been more confusing than I intended... after the 9 hp, the zombie provoked an attack of opportunity and you hit him a second time.
 

El Jefe

First Post
OoC: I also think Boog should be able to act by now.
Round 1: Rowan opens door, Boog changes action.
Round 2: Rowan and Juliana fight, Boog reaches southeast corner of mill.
Round 3: Rowan and Juliana fight, Boog reaches northeast corner of mill, aborts plan to enter back door.
Round 4: Rowan takes damage and drops. At the very least, Boog should be back to the southeast corner of the mill, if not further. He should at least have line of sight to the south door to the mill, although that might not do him much good. Depending on how you adjudicate the movement, he may be closer to the door and may have LOS to something inside.
Round 5: Boog should be able to move to the door if not already there. Depending on what he sees when he rounds the southeast corner, he may not want to go that far.
 

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Looks like I did leave the rage bonuses off of the attack roll! Sorry about that. Therefore, Rowan did hit the Zombie in round 4. That would bring total damage up to 15, leaving Z3 with one hit point left. Sorry about the error, and thank you for finding it!

As to Boog's actions, I seem to have messed those up as well... all the way back when I posted his round 2 action, which indeed should have happened in round 1. I'll change that retroactively too, but please try to point these things out as soon as you see them. In this instance I can fix it pretty easilly, but if it would cause us to have to "rewind" a whole battle, I probably won't be willing to fix something even if it was in fact my screw up.

A "contemporaneous objection" rule, I suppose. :)

So, in explanation, all of Boogs actions posted above for rounds 2 to the present actually happened one round earlier than was shown, as the round two action above was actually the roung one action that I told El Jefe he could revise.

Boog's Round 4 action is therefore to travel as far as possible from U1 back to his companions. A double move would get him to v13... a run would take him somewhat off course, but unless I miscalculate could get him to Z26.
 

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: Ahh, I missed the AoO that droped the one Zombie. However, in post 201, you'll notice I rolled an 11 to hit and missed Z3. If a Zombie actualy has an AC of 11, I should have hit there for 8, which would have then droped it later, allowing Rowan to escape.
 

El Jefe

First Post
Patlin said:
ooc: In this instance I can fix it pretty easilly, but if it would cause us to have to "rewind" a whole battle, I probably won't be willing to fix something even if it was in fact my screw up.

A "contemporaneous objection" rule, I suppose. :)
Actually, I was fine with everything up until post 210, when Boog seemed to drop off the map. My post 216 was a little bit of "thinking out loud" as I worked my way through just what happened.
Patlin said:
Boog's Round 4 action is therefore to travel as far as possible from U1 back to his companions. A double move would get him to v13... a run would take him somewhat off course, but unless I miscalculate could get him to Z26.
Boog will run to Y23, fast enough that he has to "swing wide" of the corner, but not so fast as to carry him too far south.
 

Patlin

Explorer
El Jefe said:
Actually, I was fine with everything up until post 210, when Boog seemed to drop off the map. My post 216 was a little bit of "thinking out loud" as I worked my way through just what happened.Boog will run to Y23, fast enough that he has to "swing wide" of the corner, but not so fast as to carry him too far south.

Boog wasn't mentioned in 210 because he went in the first part of the same round, see post 206. Unfortunately, as Bront points out, my attention to detail on this combat has left something to be desired... I'll review the battle in a bit, but it seems likely Rowan is a lot healthier than I gave him credit for. :)
 

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top