The Untamed Wilds: Electric Skies

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawkeye says, "You can bunk with me, big guy. I could use the company; I don't snore, either, but I might talk your ear off. Whaddya say?"

[sblock=What Hawkeye originally said about the Sugarland job]
Hawkeye speaks up, "I'm down with that; I have a day-job with TI, but I work from home / my mobile office, so I can multi-task. As long as my projects get turned in on time, they don't care what my daily timetable is. 2500 extra cred sounds great to me, why don't we check out that storage unit? As for the box, if the contents are as delicate as a statue, I'd imagine the box is built to protect it from breakage. I'd recommend getting the box, opening it to ensure the statue is inside, make sure the box doesn't have tracking software, and then just use it to transport the statue safely. We should also check the box out astrally, to make sure there's no traceable auras on it. Whaddya say, guys?"
[/sblock]

When Trollick mentions the Sugarland job, Hawkeye nods in agreement.

"I'm up for that, provided we take the precautions that I mentioned before."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
If you posted during the week receive 5 xp.

Working for A Living

"You can bunk with me, big guy. I could use the company; I don't snore, either, but I might talk your ear off. Whaddya say?"
OOC: Skyscrapers make up most of the buildings in the Helton Metroplex, and many of those are only used for private residences. Buying an apartment in a skyscraper means you own part of that building. There is no rent for living there, but expenses for utilities, maintenance, and improvements are shared equally among the tenants. Tenants can work off part of their building dues by volunteering for security service. Since you own your residence you may do whatever you wish with it.

"How time sensitive are these runs? I was figuring a day or two of downtime to put our earnings to some personal use would be good. I was also wondering if you might know of any talisman shops or some such dedicated to folk culture where I might acquire a functional fetish, talisman, or totem. I ought to do something with my cred other than buy food and I have an aversion to integrated technology.”

The inside of Shatterframe’s sedan has adjustable rotating seats so that the occupants can face each other. It’s a little tight on space with two giants, but it’s a comfortable ride as you reach maximum speed on the highway.

Shatterframe reaches up to take off her remote headset, and for a moment the group can see lights flashing under her skin, marking the internal parts connected to her brain. The still moving car does not waver a bit, under the influence of its autopilot. She smiles as she turns her seat to look at the runners, and in the bright interior of her sedan can be seen a metallic sheen to her eyes.

She says, “These jobs are always time sensitive. This is the sweet life, fellas. What else do you have to do besides be out there on the streets making a living? A couple of grand for some dead pests isn’t bad for a nights work, but it won’t get you far either. You’ve got about twenty-two hours left. That should be plenty of time to get some rest, find some company, and purchase any gear you can find in the city, magical or otherwise. If you would like a recommendation, Ranella’s Mystical Portables over on fifteenth street has a clean reputation.”

When Trollick mentions the Sugarland job, Hawkeye nods in agreement. "I'm up for that, provided we take the precautions that I mentioned before."

Shatterframe remarks, “The box will certainly have tracking devices on it. You can go into the VR to detect any signals and remove them. The higher pay means there are likely to be some goons poking around after this item. Of course, the only people we can trust on jobs are in this car right now.”

Syd Vicious remained silent.

[sblock=Second offer] In Sugarland there is a storage unit that I’ve lost the key to. I need you to open this locked storage unit. Inside you will find a box. You may open the box, I just need what’s inside. You don’t have to keep the box, just the statue inside the box. Bring me that statue.
Pay: 2500 credits each [/sblock]

You each receive a message from Shatterframe on your phone that reads: Brimstone’s Storage, Level 6, Unit 56 “That’s the info for the unit,” she explains.

She drops each of the runners off at their desired location. You may make purchases and add them to your inventory.

You meet the following night at the same repair center, and sense nothing amiss. This time Shatterframe picks you up in a bright green minivan with flowering vines painted on the side and sliding rear doors. It has more room than the sedan, but as before Shatterframe is in the drivers seat with her remote headset on. Her black suit is the same as it was the night before.

“Nice to see you again,” she says, her voice coming through the van speakers. She drives to Sugarland and pulls up to one of the skyscrapers with a white sign that reads Brimstone’s Storage over the door.

Roll perception and include it in your post during the week for intentions.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
She says, “These jobs are always time sensitive... If you would like a recommendation, Ranella’s Mystical Portables over on fifteenth street has a clean reputation.”
Trollick nods, grateful for the info but feels no need to verbally respond.

You each receive a message from Shatterframe on your phone that reads: Brimstone’s Storage, Level 6, Unit 56 “That’s the info for the unit,” she explains...

You meet the following night at the same repair center, and sense nothing amiss...
Trollick steps from the vehicle and makes a quick cursory scan of the area. Seeing no immediate threat, he takes more time to look and listen, noting any near alleys or other business fronts, anything that might prove important.
[sblock=Perception]14(commercial) + 21(konokoro) = 35[/sblock]
[sblock=Observation]14(commercial) + 21(empathy) + 65(d100) = 100[/sblock]
"Well gents, front door or do we look for another possible entrance?"

OOC: Since Health talismans should be the most common and least expensive and real animal parts are illegal to own, during the downtime, Trollick will try to purchase bloodstone ring or bracelet.

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
After a soy-synth burger with real onion and lettuce and a rice beer to wash it down, Syd spent his downtime sleeping fast in a local coffin hotel (4 hours always seemed to serve him well). He then hopped a commuter tram to his mother's apartment in the Baytown district with a view over the water. After a brief visit, involving some interesting updates (included in the weeks post), Syd goes to the garage to get his Kawazuki Street Screamer, a go-gang favorite motorbike, and tool around town; especially the Sugarland District and the Brimstone's Storage facility.

First, he just drives by the place, getting as good of an overview of the place as he can. He then comes back around to enter the office under the pretense of buying a storage space for his bike; the clerk immediately goes into her sales pitch. All the while, Syd is checking out the security set-up, locks, cameras, and especially, the guards: type (are they merely a hired service, or mercs, or ex-Corp types), race, arms and armor, attentiveness to their job, etc. After he gets the spiel and is asked by the cute, for a dwarf, attendant, Syd acts embarrassed by the price per month and politely bows out the door, hops on his Street Screamer and heads out to meet Shatterframe and the rest at the rendezvous point, leaving his bike in Shatterframe's care while on the mission.

Syd divulges the intel he scraped up with his little day trip. He then prepares himself and his gear. Exits the van with the others and whispers one of his mantras: "The night is going to get gnarly."

Going by Mac's example ---

Perception roll (bonuses): Commercial: 16 + Konokuro: 12 = 28 (roll, if needed: 37 (d100) = 65)
Observation roll: Commercial: 16 + Empathy: 11 + 81 (d100) = 108

And, just to get the rolls in:

Reflex/Defense roll (bonuses): Readiness: 20 + Reflex: 5 = 25 (roll, if needed: 66 (d100) = 91)
1st Combat roll (bonuses): Attack: 20 + Combat: 6 = 26 (roll, if needed: 79 (d100) = 105)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawkeye is dressed for success on this mission, wearing his streamlined VR rig, which looks as is if he is simply wearing a pair of sunglasses. He chuckles to himself as he recalls memes from CyberBook about the first VR rigs, big, clunky, helicopter-pilot-helmet rigs that made a person's head look like a giant, green 6-ball. He was glad to be living in the sleek, chic now, wearing the latest design from Texas Instruments.

Besides the VR rig, he was wearing his enchanted armored clothing, and toting the big Ruger in a concealed shoulder rig. As he exited the van, which reminded him of the Mystery Machine, he took a casual look around, trying not to look as jittery and on-edge as he felt.

[sblock=Perception]
Commercial: 20 (21 w/ VR), Konokoro: 14, Total = 34 (35).
[/sblock]

[sblock=Observation]
Commercial: 20 (21 w/ VR), Empathy: 15, Roll: 81, Total = 116 (117)
[/sblock]

Hawkeye nods at Trollick, "Lead the way, chief. I got yer back."

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Syd Vicous Scouts Out Brimstone Storage

After scanning the VR for interesting information, Syd learns there is a turf war brewing between the Hudu Krew and the Wild Wongos after some HK’s were caught harassing people outside of a bar that the WW’s protect. The story does not include the name of the bar, but you can conclude from the other details that it is the Axelrad Lounge. (For extra information about this conflict any group member may roll d100 to add to a Commercial skill check. Include the rolls in the next posts)

At Brimstone Storage in Sugarland all looks normal on the outside. The storage space is on the bottom floor of a typical looking skyscraper, and there is ample parking for his Kawazuki Screamer. The front door of the business leads immediately to a stairway that descends one floor to the main office. All of the storage area is underground in nine levels of basement junk, and access to the lower areas is provided by an elevator next to the stairwell. Inside the office there are several kiosks which contain all the information about the storage units including square feet, price, and the disclaimers about storing illegal items. There are no privacy rights in the storage units and Helton PD can enter and search them at any time with a proper warrant. Any items abandoned in units that have delinquent payments will be auctioned or trashed.

Inquiring at the kiosk about storing his bike, Syd learns there is a service elevator on the other side of the building that leads to the first few floors of the subbasement for large items such as vehicles.

There are three attendants in the office, the short, cute woman, a dark-skinned giant with straight steel horns installed in his forehead, and a normal sized brutish woman with pale skin and pink hair, but they are security guards there to monitor the property. They are all armed with Disney Stellar medium pistols with attached bayonets, and are wearing light armor with a fiery BS on the chest for Brimstone Storage. Any comments made to the guards will cause them to politely direct Syd back to the kiosks. All sales and payments are handled by the kiosks through the VR. There is nothing in their appearance or behavior to suggest that they are anything except security guards that probably live in the building and protect the storage area as part of the revenue for their home. As is typical of a skyscraper, drones attached to the hall ceiling have lights and cameras that monitor all areas of the storage building. These drones can detach and follow intruders and can be on auto direct or controlled by another security officer through the VR.

Brimstone Storage has twenty four hour access for customer convenience.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
For posting during the week receive 5 xp

Earning the Box Credits

[sblock=Perception] number to hit: 80 for gangers, 110 for spy drone
Trollick: 14+21+65=100, Hawkeye: 21+16+81=117, Syd: 16+12+25 (scouting)+81=134 [/sblock]
Once outside of Shatterframe’s van, the Runners immediately notice a group of four Spartan Dogs, yet another gang, standing around on the corner across the street next to their parked bikes. They seem to be minding their own business, but your experience tells you they are watching you without trying to be obvious about watching you.

Hawkeye and Syd notice a spider legged drone clinging to the wall of the skyscraper above their heads. Its camera eye is focused on the group, and Syd says, “That was definitely not there when I was here earlier.”
Since there is no way to know if the gangers or the drone are connected to your job, and since the Runners are robbing the place and extra attention is not wanted, the decision is made to proceed to the marked unit 56 on level 6. (nothings going to happen until that box leaves the unit anyway)

Inside the office, Syd notices that one of the security guards is the same, the giant with steel horns, but the two women are replaced with an orc with dark tan skin, a thick brow, and long pointed tusks protruding from his jaw. This guard is outfitted the same as the others. The horned giant seems to recognize Syd from earlier in the day, but does not address him. The two guards seem to be going through the motions of another boring shift.

Gaining access to the underground storage levels is easy. All you have to do is pose as a fake customer. There is no credit charge until a unit is actually used, and potential customers are allowed to browse the units to find one that meets their needs. There are two ways down to level 6, the stairway, or the elevator. The service elevator only goes down to level 3.
OOC: We are still getting used to this setting so I will provide actions and rolls for handling the storage unit as an example of what can be done.

The Runners notice that the locks on the units of level 6 are standard security, until they get to unit 56. This lock is different, and at a glance seems to be of higher quality. Hawkeye sits down against the wall opposite the unit and slips the VR headset over his eyes as Trollick and Syd keep watch.

As Hawkeye moves his consciousness into the VR, the darkness inside the headset blinks and suddenly he is looking at the virtual Brimstone Storage. The Virtual Realm has a different appearance than the Hard Realm. There are no shadows in VR, since there are no light sources and everything is a representation inside the brain. The colors are bright and cartoonish, and the hallways of the storage area now look like dark grey stone walls of a castle, with the roll doors of the units appearing as thick banded wood doors with ancient steel keyholes. The mortar in between the stones of the walls is bright and glowing like lava. The light/camera drones watching on the ceiling are represented by crows perched on stone sconces with red glowing eyes. His experience in VR tells Hawkeye it would be almost impossible to shut the drones off without alerting security, but if the drones are still in auto detect, which they are, he can override their programming to tell them to look the other way for a while.
[sblock=VR roll] Commercial task+Obscurative task+d100) 21+21+61=103
Number to hit: 100-103= 3 minutes that his command will stay in effect [/sblock]
Hawkeye smiles as the perched crows turn their heads, and at the same time Trollick and Syd nod to each other as they see the ceiling drones spin their lenses away from unit 56.
[sblock=Now for the locked door] Hawkeye 21+21+76=118, number to hit: 85, success [/sblock] The lock on unit 56 clicks as it disengages and while the wood door in the VR swings open at Hawkeye’s touch, the roll door in the HR slides up into the ceiling, granting access to the storage area. Inside the concrete room is a plain ancient looking wood box on the floor, which appears the same in both realms, only about two feet across to each side. It is a simple plank design with rusted nails holding it together and gaps in the planks. There are old, faded ink stamps across the surface from several languages and countries, and the box is crusted with dried dirt and splattered with what could be blood. In the VR Hawkeye looks over the box closely and locates three tracking devices that he determines would send a signal through the VR if deactivated.

Hawkeye disengages from the VR, removes his headset, and locates the trackers on the box. The tracking devices are thin slips of plastic and metal slid in between the gaps in the planks. They are removed and left in the unit to not alert security. The door of unit 56 is closed and locks again as though nothing happened. The entire process took less than a minute.

Regardless of how the Runners decide to leave Brimstone Storage, there are no problems until they reach the outside.

Walking towards Shatterframe’s van still parked where it was, the three start to think this is the easiest 2500 credits they’ve ever made. The spider drone is no longer visible on the building or anywhere else. The Spartan Dogs across the street look at the Runners and their eyes land on the box. Before anything else can happen, another van, beige in color, slams on its breaks on the street next to the gangers. The door of the van slides open and Syd recognizes the brutish woman with pale skin and pink hair with each hand holding a single full auto weapon as she opens fire at the Spartan Dogs. Simultaneously a full auto weapon pops out of the top of the van and fires on Shatterframe’s van.

Surprise round: none of your three Runners are targeted, only the Spartan Dogs gangers and Shatterframe’s vehicle.
[sblock=Surprise attack] Pink Hair Attack: 52(base)+93(d100)+100(luck)=245
Spartan Dogs: Defend: 53(base)+24=77 (multiple targets=3 hit)
Damage=50 per target, Armor clothing 50-10 deflect=40. Body:10-40=30, Mind:10-30=20, Essence:9-20, deceased
Van Driver: Attack: 60(base)+50(d100)=110
Shatterframe Defense: 70(base)+10(d100)-50(stationary)=30
Damage=32-15(deflect)=17
Shatterframe: 17-10(deflect)=7, Body 10-7=3 Body [/sblock]
While the three Runners stare in shock, the van attack has lethal results. With their concentration on you three, the Spartan Dogs and Shatterframe are caught completely unaware. The pink haired woman opens up with a loud blast as she shreds three of the gangers, killing them instantly with a hail of bullets. The full auto machine gun mounted to the van roof rips a line through Shatterframe’s windshield, hitting her with bullets and shrapnel from her own blasted vehicle.
Shatterframe screams in pain over her van’s comm.

Roll Reaction and state intentions.

One of you must be carrying the box, so discuss and designate a box carrier through Line chat. It is not any heavier than you expect a wood box to be. One of the giants can tuck the box under their arm and free a hand for fighting, but Syd would have to use both hands to hold it.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
combat map 1.png

Waynan

Adventurer
Street-savvy Syd, seeing the danger of their situation, immediately goes into action and calls the plays:

"Chummers, this whole run is on the verge of becoming total drek. Shatterframe looks bad and I'm the only one who has a rigger's jack besides her. Let's move! Hawkeye, take the box to the van. It should be armored well enough to keep you and the box safe...for now. If anyone comes up to you, other than Trollie Boy and myself, give them a high-caliber brain drain. Trollick, use the van for cover and see if there's a side route out of this hornet's nest we've found ourselves in. Keeping to the main streets will only get Lone Star in on this. I don't think we want that."

All the while, Syd's been backing up toward the van to get behind it for cover. After finishing his orders to the rest, Syd hops into the cab of the van, keeping as low as he can behind the dashboard, to see how Shatterframe is doing.

As he sidles next to her he asks in a surprisingly soothing voice: "Shatterframe, how you holding out? Listen, I need to jack in to the rig here, so I'm going to disconnect you. We'll get you to a Doc Wagon as soon as we get out of this mess."

Reaction roll: d100 (88)

Extra rolls for whatever: 59 (Ack!!), 81, 72, 90, 44 (Yikes!), 76, 68 (Hrm).
Gonna quite before I roll something really bad.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Trollick Takes His Queue

Trollick takes off at a dead run, away from the enemy van, veering away from the tower that contained the storage unit to use the runners' own van as cover. While he runs, he draws his Mars 50 and, simultaneously, bends the available light waves around him to increase the shadows around him, hoping to improve his defense against enemy fire.

Once behind cover of Shatterframe's van, he will spin once and fire directly at the machine gun turret on Pinky's van. He will then continue down the street looking for a suitable place to stage a better counter-assault or escape plan.
[sblock=Reaction Time]17 (Readiness) + 14 (Athletic) + 22 (Clarity) + 64 (d100) = 117[/sblock]
[sblock=Speed of Action]100 (move/Way) + 15 (armor) - 16 (strength) - 117 (reaction) = -18
Second Action: -18 + 50 (pistol) = 32
Third Action: 32 + 100 (move) = 132[/sblock]
[sblock=Projectile Assault]17 (Readiness) + 14 (Athletic) + 22 (Clarity) + 44 (d100) = 97[/sblock]
In case others fire back:
[sblock=Projectile Avoidance]Darken: 16 (Bending) + 22 (Darken) = 38
14 (Obscure) + 22 (Analysis) + 38 (Darken) + 92 (d100) + 79 (luck) = 245 + ? (cover)[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases