D&D 5E The Warlord shouldn't be a class... change my mind!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Someone wanna collate all the leadership oriented features in the game so far, not including spells (for now)? Figure out what we have to work with before inventing new stuff?

Also query; is an attack as part of the attack action and the ally’s reaction enough cost for granting an ally an attack?

what if instead of a reaction attack, the Captain could grant an extra attack on the ally’s next turn?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Speaking of Damage dealing and another method a LazyLord can deliver the goods and how Warlords need to sometimes operate by themselves. (These seem all important)

The Controller Concept for Warlord brings up something that was only barely touched on in 4e. The function of manipulating enemies to help you exemplified by "inducing friendly fire" or the Jacky Chan featured maneuver where your dodge OR in more warlord fashion your shouted help to an ally allows them to dodge an attack they might have parried causing that attack to hit another nearby or adjacent enemy. I know it may seem esoteric but its rather fun too.

The LazyLord build should also have that not just a Hector Build.

Just a thought attack granting.... vs attack redirection.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes you can get something close now if the fighter gained an extra reaction each time he gained an attack it might be closer. But yes still not there.
Tbh, the PDK with sentinel gets about as close as I’d want 5e to bend itself in that direction. Maybe add an aura that slows enemy movement to represent harrying the area around you more than others do.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Tbh, the PDK with sentinel gets about as close as I’d want 5e to bend itself in that direction. Maybe add an aura that slows enemy movement to represent harrying the area around you more than others do.
Oh the differences are I totally grant by now are in the subtle category the problem was mostly straight up phb which I would have zero interest in.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Speaking of Damage dealing and another method a LazyLord can deliver the goods and how Warlords need to sometimes operate by themselves. (These seem all important)
(I dislike the 'lazy' term, but since people know it...) - though all classes synergize to a degree - some builds/sub-classes can take it to extremes, "all multiplier & no force." The Pacifist Cleric and the LazyLord never worked by themselves, except maybe by persuading their enemies in some way....

The Controller Concept for Warlord brings up something that was only barely touched on in 4e. The function of manipulating enemies to help you exemplified by "inducing friendly fire" or the Jacky Chan featured maneuver where your dodge OR in more warlord fashion your shouted help to an ally allows them to dodge an attack they might have parried causing that attack to hit another nearby or adjacent enemy. I know it may seem esoteric but its rather fun too.
The LazyLord build should also have that not just a Hector Build.
Yes, the Hector's tricks are something any Warlord might use in some form at some time, the Hector should just be a bit better at it, and likely to use more 'em more.

Just a thought attack granting.... vs attack redirection.
Redirection would almost have to be a Reaction (which is also consumed by Ready in 5e).
While attack granting is often conceived as using your allies' Reactions.

5e, does still have an 'action economy,' and spending an action & a reaction to get the effect of an action, alone, maybe not a solid trade in that economy?

Xeviat

Hero
Someone wanna collate all the leadership oriented features in the game so far, not including spells (for now)? Figure out what we have to work with before inventing new stuff?

Also query; is an attack as part of the attack action and the ally’s reaction enough cost for granting an ally an attack?

what if instead of a reaction attack, the Captain could grant an extra attack on the ally’s next turn?

Do remember, that "grant an attack" is different for who is getting that attack. The Rogue's single attack is worth more than the Fighter/Monk/Ranger, Barbarian is slightly better than F/M/R, Paladin is a little better than Barbarian. Since the Rogue can sneak attack once per turn, not once per round, you'll probably need to balance attack granting with this in mind.

That's why the Battlemaster's commander's strike is such a potent ability, but also why it costs the bonus action AND an attack. Base Warlord could spend their action to grant an attack, but it probably shouldn't get a benefit on it other than a +Int or +Cha mod rider (this could be different for each build; tactical could get +Int mod to damage, inspiring could get +Cha mod temp HP).

I think some Warlords should get to do one of their own attacks when they grant an attack, but not all Warlords. The lead from the rear, more support warlords, and lazylord definitely shouldn't have extra attack.

Remove ads