The Whispering Cairn (Team Diamond Lake) - IC

Axel

First Post
"If Pelor and Moradin are both with us, I hope there will be no trouble at the bottom of the hole." Arveduin walks over to where Sigrum's rope is tied around the sarcophagus and gives it a tug. "Your ropework seems sound, Master Dwarf. If you are happy to take the lead, despite our misdirection then please proceed. Shout out when you reach the bottom and one of us will follow."

OOC: Didn't seem noobish to me. This is a difficult room to understand, and probably would be if it was drawn on a battlemap in front of me. Besides, nothing wrong with intra-party conflict and rivalry in moderation. :)

Blood and Honor

First Post
With one last tug on the rope Sigrum lowers himself back into the hole.

"Wait fer me signal before bringing yourselves down."

OOC: When in doubt...blame the GM:p. Also are we missimg someone?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
OCC: Advancing as climbing down is DC 5 and you may take 10.

The group enters another small chamber like before...

Dozens of bas-relief figures similar to the one on the sarcophagus lid in the room above stare disapprovingly from the walls here. Many sport crossed arms and stern expressions. A few of the statues' heads are missing, and some have huge chunks torn out of them. Others have a weird melted appearance, as if they'd been sprayed by something terrible. A large glyph that looks like a stylized arrow points down a short corridor to the south that leads to a four-way intersection.
Sigrum advances ahead while the others climb down. <stealth check please> He stops at a cross-section and peers around the corners.

The dwarf's darkvision let's him see everything ahead in all the directions the strange dungeon leads. To the west he sees an odd hill of orange gunk with beetles climbing in and out of the holes throughout, like a giant hive. <area 2>

To the south is a staircase that leads to black stale water. <area 4> And to the east is a room full of low stone slabs with a statue of a warrior at the far end. <area 3>

The dwarf returns group, as he hears them gathering behind him.

OCC2: Everyone is in the room with the rune and the hole.

Attachments

• AoW-TDL lvl2-1.jpg
    AoW-TDL lvl2-1.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 98

fireinthedust

Explorer
eldariel finishes skimming over his spellbook, shooting some frosty rays at the wall for practice, and then heading down. He took a long moment, while the others were debating which tube, to stretch and ready himself for the climb down.

Taking his time to make it to the bottom (edit: by which I mean taking 10), he strikes up a light and peers at the rune.

Hmmm... damage on the statues, some kind of burning... and a magical run with an arrow in its design... If I didn't know better I'd guess some kind of acid arrow attack, perhaps, or else a spell battle that went on here.

I wonder if these statues are recently damaged? Sigrum, I know little of the ways of stonework, could you take a look at them for me?

Eldariel is going to have a good long look at the rune, seeing if it's still active, what it does, when it went off, etc.

OOC: Not noobish at all. It's pbp, and we're doing a language-based game. A *communication* game. How rare is communication, really?

Also, you're the new guy, doesn't that mean you go first? no? :p

I'm having fun with this. I just need to remember my modifiers to Arcana as I check out the rune, and boy do I hope I don't trigger it by looking at it! (just got those hp back, after all).

Axel

First Post
Arveduin waited until the others were all safely down the rope before beginning his descent. He knew he would be slow with his suit of armour and shield hindering his meagre efforts, and didn't want to impede any urgent reinforcement of Sigrum that might be needed.

OOC: Take 10 on the climb check = +6 result. Yay?

On reaching the base of the rope, he glanced about, noting the others in various tasks. "Excellent work. No trouble at all then?"

Blood and Honor

First Post
"Not quite. Hide the light." Sigrum says in almost a whisper. "Theres some beetles down the tunnel just over there, not sure if their hostile or not."

"The statues have wear on them and some are melted, could be from the bettles." He looks back down towards the tunnels.

OOC: YEA, 18 Stealth check. The Stonecunning check is to notice whether or not the damage is recent , what 'type' of damage (fire or acid). That is if it can be considered 'unusal' stonework. To show where the beetles are he is pointing to area 2.

Last edited:

ghostcat

First Post
"Well if you guys would stop tramping everywhere, I'll check for tracks." says Galyne. He then carefully checks for tracks in the entry room. He is just about to star checking in the short north/south corridor, when he hears Sigrum's warming about beetles. Instead he unships his axe and waits quietly.

[sblock=OOC]Survival (Follow or identify tracks) +7. Take 10 for 17.[/sblock]

OOC: Not noobish. Just an IC misunderstanding between Sigrum and Galyne.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The damage to the sculptures does seem to come from the acid beetles (and possibly the swarm that climbed the shaft) and not from any sort of trap.

There are no tracks to be found in the room also due to the passing of the acid beetle swarm.

Eldariel remembers the rune on the amulet in the other chamber down the yellow tube and finds this one to be identical. It must be some sort of name or personal seal but to who or to what it says he is still unsure.

OCC: where to next?

Blood and Honor

First Post
"So are we goin to kill these blasted bugs or sneak past?" Sigrum looks back to the tunnel the beetles are in. "If we decide to attack'em I suggest ambush."

Remove ads