• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The woes of creating high-level pregens

Li Shenron

Legend
Well I finally got around DMing Ravenloft as a one-shot, except that of course I failed to make it really finish in a single session so we'll need at least a second evening. To my defence, we had planned to have 4-5 hours for the game, but between being late to start and then having kids wanting to go home, we really only played 2 hours, so we're not that far from the original time expectations.

That said, the adventure (played with 5e rules but following the original slimmer version) requires high level characters. Not wanting to waste an hour watching them build their characters from scratch, I told them I was going to create pregens. But I also didn't know if we were going to have 3 or 5 players, so I decided to make them level 10 to be on the safe side, should we ended up being 3.

I've never actually started a game at such high level, and now I know that creating PCs already at level 10 is a PITA!

It's not the complexity: that, I can live with, and it's not as bad as 3e 10th level characters.

The problem was, that 10th level spellcasters have a fair lot of spells to choose from, either to learn or prepare. I chose not to pregen a Wizard which I expected to be the most time consuming one, but for example the Cleric had ~25 spells to prepare and even the Paladin had something like 17.

What I think is the reason, is that the classes are designed for long-term campaigns rather than one shots, so they wanted them to be a bit ready for everything. You can design a PC focused on a certain area, if you are willing to take the risk of being under-performing in certain adventures but over-performing in others, or design it more balanced to be decent-performing all the time. In addition, levelling up gradually allows you to withstand occasional bad choices (i.e. choosing an ability that won't come up frequently) because you have plenty of abilities.

But as I was building them already at level 10, and I knew what the adventure was about, I had a tougher work. If I had picked all spells and abilities that I knew were gonna be useful in this adventure, the PC would have been possibly too good. If I had purposefully put some useless junk in the build to balance the goodies out, I would have felt like planting red herrings to the players. I could have buried the responsibility behind desiging "stock" characters with the most common spells selections, but after 10 years (or 30, depending on what you count) I am a bit tired of the seeing PCs with vanilla builds.

So I ended up doing the unthinkable that would irritate anyone on a D&D forum: I gave them less stuff than what their class grants according to the PHB, but I only gave them good stuff that fits with the adventure. It's a bit like "hiding" a quota of stuff that the PCs could have had on their characters sheets, but statistically ends up being unused on a given adventure. And anyway, the players were not irritated because (as usual for me) they are casual gamers so they do not really know how their PC should be by the book.

What would you have done in my place?

Stormonu

Legend
Yeah, 10th level characters in any version of D&D are best grown into. I tried running a high-level PvP dungeon for a Con once for 3.5, and had about 5 pre-built characters if someone wanted to jump in. They were given a half-hour to review the PCs before play, but I don't think anyone did because there were all kinds of questions about the characters in play (One of them, BTW, was a troll grappler with a bag of devouring. His schtick was to grab others and stuff them into the bag to be disposed of - using his unarmed attacks, he could grab and deposit up to 5 enemies a round. The player who picked him was upset I'd given his PC a "cursed item" and that he wasn't armed with any sort of weapon).

What you did sounds kind of like building them as you would a NPC stat block. For a one shot, that's probably fine as that reduces the overhead of learning the intricacies of the "build" and gets straight to what the character was designed to do.

Another idea if you want full builds is to have a "cheat" sheet with a short "how to play" pointing out combos the character can make good with and what their intended specialty is.

Pedantic

Legend
I'd opt to either lean hard into a theme, taking the archetype as the primary guide over strategic value, or I'd introduce a randomizer.

aco175

Legend
I have no problem with skimping on things in a 1-shot. I have made games where the PCs had extra uses of abilities or even gave 4e powers that let a PC attack everyone in 5ft. instead of something else. The point of a 1-shot is to have fun and boldly go, over develop a long-term PC that had hopes and dreams.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Use DnDBeyond and be done in five minutes.

I make high level NPCs all the time.
Does DnDBeyond have a functIon that chooses appropriate spells for you? Because that’s the part that based on the OP or my own experience cannot be done in five minutes unless you are going totally random or have an eidetic memory.

Clint_L

Hero
Does DnDBeyond have a functIon that chooses appropriate spells for you? Because that’s the part that based on the OP or my own experience cannot be done in five minutes unless you are going totally random or have an eidetic memory.
It has the spell lists integrated into the character builder, so if you know the standard spells that each class takes (and you can glance at them if you have to), it only takes a moment. But yeah, if you don't have a general sense of the spell lists it'll take longer. My assumption is that most DMs kind of know what's what.

I can add the spells in less than a minute, easy. Click, click, click.

Edit: Also, I forgot - premade characters are an option on DDB - it has a ton available, and you can set them to any level. I just made a human wizard. It was one click to generate it, another click to set it to level 10, including populating its spell book, and the only step left was to decide which spells were prepared. It took less than a minute.

zakael19

Adventurer
Well I finally got around DMing Ravenloft as a one-shot, except that of course I failed to make it really finish in a single session so we'll need at least a second evening. To my defence, we had planned to have 4-5 hours for the game, but between being late to start and then having kids wanting to go home, we really only played 2 hours, so we're not that far from the original time expectations.

That said, the adventure (played with 5e rules but following the original slimmer version) requires high level characters. Not wanting to waste an hour watching them build their characters from scratch, I told them I was going to create pregens. But I also didn't know if we were going to have 3 or 5 players, so I decided to make them level 10 to be on the safe side, should we ended up being 3.

I've never actually started a game at such high level, and now I know that creating PCs already at level 10 is a PITA!

It's not the complexity: that, I can live with, and it's not as bad as 3e 10th level characters.

The problem was, that 10th level spellcasters have a fair lot of spells to choose from, either to learn or prepare. I chose not to pregen a Wizard which I expected to be the most time consuming one, but for example the Cleric had ~25 spells to prepare and even the Paladin had something like 17.

What I think is the reason, is that the classes are designed for long-term campaigns rather than one shots, so they wanted them to be a bit ready for everything. You can design a PC focused on a certain area, if you are willing to take the risk of being under-performing in certain adventures but over-performing in others, or design it more balanced to be decent-performing all the time. In addition, levelling up gradually allows you to withstand occasional bad choices (i.e. choosing an ability that won't come up frequently) because you have plenty of abilities.

But as I was building them already at level 10, and I knew what the adventure was about, I had a tougher work. If I had picked all spells and abilities that I knew were gonna be useful in this adventure, the PC would have been possibly too good. If I had purposefully put some useless junk in the build to balance the goodies out, I would have felt like planting red herrings to the players. I could have buried the responsibility behind desiging "stock" characters with the most common spells selections, but after 10 years (or 30, depending on what you count) I am a bit tired of the seeing PCs with vanilla builds.

So I ended up doing the unthinkable that would irritate anyone on a D&D forum: I gave them less stuff than what their class grants according to the PHB, but I only gave them good stuff that fits with the adventure. It's a bit like "hiding" a quota of stuff that the PCs could have had on their characters sheets, but statistically ends up being unused on a given adventure. And anyway, the players were not irritated because (as usual for me) they are casual gamers so they do not really know how their PC should be by the book.

What would you have done in my place?

Ran One Night Strahd, which is an excellent remix made for con / oneshot play and includes a host of themed pre-mades at level … 6? iirc since the entire module is rebalanced.

Remove ads