• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 'Wonderland'-Inspired Faces of the RAGE OF DEMONS

Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.

Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.

CEXkKiqUsAADuq1.jpg

OUGALOP, kuo-toa cave cricket catcher extraordinaire.

CEXk_2UUIAA18QX.jpg

YUK YUK and SPIDERBAIT, goblin adrenaline junkies.

CEXlbDRUUAA1KJG.jpg
CEXlbDVUIAAjx2O.jpg
CEXlbHxVEAEU5nF.jpg
CEXlbKQUUAAQxoA.jpg

THE SOCIETY OF BRILLIANCE, the Mensa of the Underdark.

CEXlz0NVIAIsi3J.jpg

GLABBAGOOL, awakened gelatinous cube.

CEXmWjDUUAA95l4.jpg

RUMPADUMP and STOOL, myconid followers.

CEXm0_fUsAATIyA.jpg

PRINCE DERENDIL, a quaggoth who thinks he's elven royalty.

CEXnNiIUkAAMyaR.jpg
CEXnNikVEAA7aHI.jpg

TOPSY and TURVY, svirfneblin wererat siblings.

CEXnxQ4VEAAilzD.jpg

THE PUDDING KING, svirfneblin devotee (i.e., flunky) of Juiblex the Faceless Lord.

CEWVicQUMAA4Xqu.jpg

D&D's "Legion of Doom." What a wonderful bunch of malcontents.

I liked the interpretation Keith Baker had for Eberron's outsiders: on rare occasion, an demon (or other alignment-based outsider) could switch alignment, but then they'd cease to be demons. They'd turn into something else.

That's an interesting take. Flip it four-dimensionally and you wind up with the steady-state theory: demons have free will, but anything that might eventually choose to be good was never made into a demon in the first place. It was made into something else, like, say, a human.

That is, you don't need demons to lack the ability to change in order for them to be self-responsible. It's sufficient for them to have the power, even if they don't exercise it. Just like any of us.

Rejuvenator

Explorer
You could do that. I don't personally find "demons have no freedom of choice/sentience" to be an interesting scenario but some people do. I'll save that for murdermachines like bulettes, golems, and intellect devourers: mindless beasts and creatures designed as tools to specific ends.
OK, as long as it's clear that the idea is demons having no freedom of choice/sentience specifically in regards to making moral choices. Mindless beasts are 100% instinctive, which is different. A drug addict isn't mindless just because they can't control one aspect of their behavior.

Edit: Google "do angels have free will".

I liked the interpretation Keith Baker had for Eberron's outsiders: on rare occasion, an demon (or other alignment-based outsider) could switch alignment, but then they'd cease to be demons. They'd turn into something else.
Cool. That nicely jives with how Lucifer stopped being an angel.

That's actually the default assumption in 5e.

"Alignment is an essential part of the nature of
celestials and fiends. A devil does not choose to be
lawful evil, and it doesn’t tend toward lawful evil, but
rather it is lawful evil in its essence. If it somehow
ceased to be lawful evil, it would cease to be a devil." - Player's Basic Rules, p. 34

OK, as long as it's clear that the idea is demons having no freedom of choice/sentience specifically in regards to making moral choices. Mindless beasts are 100% instinctive, which is different. A drug addict isn't mindless just because they can't control one aspect of their behavior.

Right, and an intellect devourer isn't mindless either (Int 12 IIRC). But I would play one kind of like an AI with regards to preferences/choices/motivations: it's logical, but the premises it operates under are fixed by its creator. I wouldn't do that for a human, or a demon, or a devil. (I don't have angels in my world, only people, so I won't say "Or an angel.")

Edit: Google "do angels have free will".

Eh. Googling will only get you other people's opinions, which isn't relevant to determining your own personal Rule of Cool for demons/angels. I already know I think the "angels have no free will" position is incoherent, unfun, and not something I want to run; it makes no difference whether 99% or 1% people on Google agree with that position. In D&D, I am the creator of the universe, and a demon who tells me that he had no control over his own choices is lying to me, in a fourth wall-breaking kind of way. I don't do that to my creations, and I couldn't if I wanted to, which I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

pemerton

Legend
the king has zero incentive to "cast" Know Alignment on himself, because he doesn't actually want to know the answer

<snip>

The king doesn't have to accept the judgment of the objective witness (Know Alignment spell/prophet/holy sword/whatever)

<snip>

I don't buy the notion that the inhabitants of the Abyss would cop to being "evil." They would tell you that that's just how the world is, and everyone who says it's different is just fooling themselves and/or you. "Everybody has a price," they would say.
In AD&D, devils can cast Know Alignment. In 3E, an Imp, Quasit or Succubus can cast Detect Good.

When one of these creatures self-scans, and gets the answer back, which indicates (at a minimum) that they are not good, what do they do? Reject the accuracy of their own innate magic?

(You might say they have no incentive to self-scan. Let's suppose that, for the sake of argument, they do. Maybe they lost a bet, or got curious, or tried to scan someone else but got reflected by a ring of spell turning!)

Or: the PCs have been hanging out with a friendly shopkeeper in a Planescape game, and eventually get around to casting Detect Evil, and the shopkeeper - being, it turns out, a devil - registers as strongly evil. What do the players have their PCs do?

D&D has a mechanism - of writing down alignment labels, and then of giving characters abilities to read those labels within the fiction - which allow evaluative truths to be ostensibly detached from any sort of supervenience base. It can lead to weird results, like the shopkeeper who is never harsh or brutal to everyone yet registers as chaotic evil because that's what's written in the alignment entry for demons.

D&D's traditional way of handling the issue was to use a very broad-brush conception of the supervenience base in question, and to make sure that the character's behaviour conforms to that. Which, as has been observed upthread, can lead to fairly stereotyped or broadbrushed villains. This won't work very well if the the game participants want subtlety, especially if that subtlety is going to touch on points where they themselves don't fully agree on what features of the supervenience base make someone good or evil.

The way that nearly every other fantasy RPG out there handles the issue is to drop the idea of alignment labels. 4e went part of the way - it dropped the character abilities and the classic scheme of the outer planes, meaning that alignment labels are simply a metagame shorthand.

5e has mostly dropped the character abilities, but retains the classic outer planar scheme. Which means that it will be vulnerable to the same problem with subtlety as classic D&D is.

In AD&D, devils can cast Know Alignment. In 3E, an Imp, Quasit or Succubus can cast Detect Good.

When one of these creatures self-scans, and gets the answer back, which indicates (at a minimum) that they are not good, what do they do? Reject the accuracy of their own innate magic?

No, why would they reject it? Maybe that spell is useful for detecting chumps and self-righteous bigots (from their perspective). Or maybe they use it to detect people who aren't worth your time trying to co-op because it won't work. Depends on your setting and how you run their goals/self-image/motivation.

Imagine an ISIS jihadist with a spell that detects faithful Coptic Christians, ones who really live their beliefs. Having an reliable way to Detect Good (Coptic) doesn't necessitate believing that Christians are actually RIGHT about anything. Neither does a Succubus's ability to Detect Chumps (Good) imply any particular value judgment on her part about the correctness of whatever attunement her spell detects.

Are you arguing that the Succubus must of necessity share the axiological values of whatever force/entity is responsible for assigning Know Alignment results? If so, why do you think that? Do you think it's so self-evident that other people must think it too?

Hussar

Legend
No, why would they reject it? Maybe that spell is useful for detecting chumps and self-righteous bigots (from their perspective). Or maybe they use it to detect people who aren't worth your time trying to co-op because it won't work. Depends on your setting and how you run their goals/self-image/motivation.

Imagine an ISIS jihadist with a spell that detects faithful Coptic Christians, ones who really live their beliefs. Having an reliable way to Detect Good (Coptic) doesn't necessitate believing that Christians are actually RIGHT about anything. Neither does a Succubus's ability to Detect Chumps (Good) imply any particular value judgment on her part about the correctness of whatever attunement her spell detects.

Are you arguing that the Succubus must of necessity share the axiological values of whatever force/entity is responsible for assigning Know Alignment results? If so, why do you think that? Do you think it's so self-evident that other people must think it too?

Yes, because those spells are not subjective. Not since 2e anyway. Know alignment doesn't "detect chumps" it actually tells you a cosmological truth. Alignment in D&D is objective. Your personal beliefs and motivations don't dictate your alignment, your alignment is orthogonal to whatever you choose to believe. A sociopath truly believes that he isn't doing anything wrong but a detect evil will show him up as evil.

Yes, because those spells are not subjective. Not since 2e anyway. Know alignment doesn't "detect chumps" it actually tells you a cosmological truth. Alignment in D&D is objective. Your personal beliefs and motivations don't dictate your alignment, your alignment is orthogonal to whatever you choose to believe. A sociopath truly believes that he isn't doing anything wrong but a detect evil will show him up as evil.

You're begging the question. There's no reason for an NPC or even a player to accept alignment as cosmological truth. Objectively, it's just a spell effect. We've been over this several times already without any new points being raised.

Hussar

Legend
You're begging the question. There's no reason for an NPC or even a player to accept alignment as cosmological truth. Objectively, it's just a spell effect. We've been over this several times already without any new points being raised.

Why? There is no chance of failure with these spells, particularly if they are self administered. Alignment in DND is objective. It has to be or it wouldn't work.

The reason new points don't get made is because of this insistence that alignment is anything other than objective.

Until you can show me how subjective alignment with of work, we really can't make any progress here.

pemerton

Legend
Imagine an ISIS jihadist with a spell that detects faithful Coptic Christians, ones who really live their beliefs. Having an reliable way to Detect Good (Coptic) doesn't necessitate believing that Christians are actually RIGHT about anything.
I'm a bit wary of real-world examples, but with due caution will respond to this.

First, the proper interpretation of the requirements of any major religion (including Christianity, and including its Coptic denomination) is a matter of contention. It's analogous to my example of beauty, upthread. Human beings do not have immediate epistemic access to facts of beauty - our immediate access is to perceptual facts (facts about colour, shape, visual texture etc), and beauty supervenes in some very complex way on these more basic facts.

Similarly for religious observance: the basic facts, to which we do have immediate access, are facts of behaviour, and (some) facts of motivation (trickier, because of the "problem" of other minds, but let's put that to one side for the moment). The fact of being a good Copt supervenes on these in some complex way, and in the typical case actual human beings don't have un-mediated access to this fact (absent supernatural revelations, which are themselves, among human beings, often contested matters).

To elaborate a bit more on that, let's move away from real-world religion and into fantasy. Consider, for instance, a fantasy game set in Middle Earth, wanting to evoke some of the thematic content of the Akallabeth. One question that is going to come up in the game is, What are the right and wrong ways of honouring the Valar, and their various spiritual servants, and of the human kings who have been endowed by providence with the right to rule, etc? The facts of value relevant to answering these questions have the same sort of supervenience structure as described above; so does epistemic access to those facts. So, for instance, the characters in the gameworld can have immediate epistemic access to a fact of human sacrifice (eg they can see and hear it taking place, perhaps perform it themselves, etc), and their epistemic access to the value fact that a wrongful event is occurring, which shames both humans and the Valar who have tried to guide them is mediated by that basic fact.

Suppose, in this hypothetical Middle Earth game, we then give certain characters access to a magical ability Detect Faithful. We are now positing that - much like your "Detect Copt" example - the character in question has un-mediated epistemic access to facts of value, without having to epistemically engage with the more basic facts on which those value facts supervene.

For this to work, in game, the participants (led, presumably, by the GM) do have to form a view about what is right: they have to form a view about what behaviours and motivations are or are not consistent with being faithful to the Valar (given that the value fact of being faithful to the valar supervenes upon such more basic facts).

In games being run with fairly broad-brush or B-movie morality, that is probably not a big deal. Human sacrifice is obviously a breach of faith, doing your duty in the war against Sauron is keeping faith, etc. But it doesn't take very much subtlety for the issue to become a bigger deal. For instance, being prideful in the performance of your duty (Denethor, Saruman, and sometimes Boromir) is a way of breaching faith with the Valar, but what counts as pridefulness might be something on which members of an RPG group could reasonably have differing views. My advice to groups wanting to run a Middle Earth game that wants to be subtle enough to explore these sorts of issues would be to not have characters (PC or NPC) having the supernatural ability to Detect Faithfulness.

Similarly, positing a Detect True Copt ability raises the same issues. I wouldn't recommend it for a game in which issues of religious interpretation or faithfulness are meant to be engaged with to even a fraction of a degree of the seriousness with which mainstream art and literature do so.

Second, even if we put all the foregoing to one side, Detect Good in D&D (or Know Alignment, etc) is not a detector of religious conviction or propriety. It detects moral facts. What a succubus learns when she scans a paladin is not that the latter is (say) faithful to Bahamut, but rather that s/he is good.

In fact, it is because the paladin is good that s/he counts as one of Bahamut's faithful. (It is "law and good deeds [that] are the meat and drink of paladins" (Gygax's PHB p 22), after all, not fidelity to some god's decrees.) In other words, D&D in its standard or default presentation of 9-point alignment rejects Hobbes' answer to the Euthyphro: goodness is loved by Bahamut because it is good; it is not constituted as good in virtue of being loved by Bahamut.

(I think this is consistent with Gygax's DMG p 23: "alignment does not necessarily dictate religious persuasion, although many religious beliefs will dictate alignment".)

Are you arguing that the Succubus must of necessity share the axiological values of whatever force/entity is responsible for assigning Know Alignment results? If so, why do you think that?
I think it because it's what the game texts say: for instance, the 3E SRD describes alignment as "general moral and personal attitudes", and goes on to say which of these are good and which are evil. Similarly, p 33 of the 5e Basic PDF says that alignment "broadly describes . . . moral and personal attitudes. Alignment is a combination of two factors: one identifies morality . . ."

So, for instance, when Gygax says that, for lawful evil persons, "life, beauty, truth, freedom and the like are held as valueless, or at least scorned" I don't read him as saying that evil is just a shorthand for "scorner of life, beauty, truth, freedom and the like". I read him as telling us that such individuals are evil ie are committing moral error.

One can also look at it from the paladin's point of view. The paladin uses Detect Evil (classic version, not 5e version which is different), and the succubus registers. As I read the traditional alignment text, the paladin learns not just that the succubus scorns life, beauty and truth, but also that the succubus, in doing so, is wrong. Which is to say that using Detect Evil is, for the paladin, not just a way of identifying those who scorn the things the paladin values, but is also a source of moral comfort: it affirms the paladin's values.

There's nothing stopping anyone from adopting a different approach: that good is just a shorthand label for "respects and fosters the welfare of others, plus beauty" and evil a label for "disregards both beauty and the welfare of others". But that's not how I've ever read the alignment descriptions; they seem to me to affirm that there is reason to respect and foster the welfare of others, and hence that is why it is good. The evil, being evil disregard these reasons.

In any event, I think that a game that adopts the shorthand label approach has a reasonable chance of encountering one or both of a couple of issues. There is the first issue I described in relation to the "Detect Copt" example: a subtle game may put pressure on issues like "what is welfare" or "what is beauty", and hence bring to light any disagreements over such matters among the game participants, and hence make the use of Detect Evil or Detect Good a contentious matter even when divorced from moral evaluation - who's to say, after all, that the succubus hasn't really gotten to the bottom of the issue of welfare (maybe the Sadeian theory of libertinage is correct), in which case perhaps she should register positive to Detect Good!

I've run campaign in which the PCs (and their players) form the view that the (so-called!) Heavens are wrong, because they have formed the view that the gods' conceptions of welfare are corrupt and self-serving. In such circumstances, how do we determine who registers to Detect Good. What sense would it make, in Planescape say, for the Seven Heavens to fail to register to Detect Good? The whole notion seems incoherent to me.

Second, there is the Euthyphro problem, which in practical D&D play tends to manifest itself in the collapse of moral distinctions into team distinctions. Rather than angels and paladins being good, and devils and demons evil, we get angels and paladins valuing this stuff, while demons and devils scorn the same stuff, and so they come into conflict. But we then lose our ability to frame the conflict as asymmetric, because we've deprived ourselves of the necessary moral vocabulary by simply equating it with certain orientations (either valuing or scorning) towards this stuff.

My general solution to these issues, for any game that is going to raise subtle issues: use alignment as a broad metagame descriptor of NPC personalities/allegiances; but drop alignment as an ingame phenomenon (no Detect/Know Alignment spells, no aligned outer planes, etc). 4e basically went down this route; so does 5e in its character and monster building, but not so much in its cosmology.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads