• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 'Wonderland'-Inspired Faces of the RAGE OF DEMONS

Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.

Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.

CEXkKiqUsAADuq1.jpg

OUGALOP, kuo-toa cave cricket catcher extraordinaire.

CEXk_2UUIAA18QX.jpg

YUK YUK and SPIDERBAIT, goblin adrenaline junkies.

CEXlbDRUUAA1KJG.jpg
CEXlbDVUIAAjx2O.jpg
CEXlbHxVEAEU5nF.jpg
CEXlbKQUUAAQxoA.jpg

THE SOCIETY OF BRILLIANCE, the Mensa of the Underdark.

CEXlz0NVIAIsi3J.jpg

GLABBAGOOL, awakened gelatinous cube.

CEXmWjDUUAA95l4.jpg

RUMPADUMP and STOOL, myconid followers.

CEXm0_fUsAATIyA.jpg

PRINCE DERENDIL, a quaggoth who thinks he's elven royalty.

CEXnNiIUkAAMyaR.jpg
CEXnNikVEAA7aHI.jpg

TOPSY and TURVY, svirfneblin wererat siblings.

CEXnxQ4VEAAilzD.jpg

THE PUDDING KING, svirfneblin devotee (i.e., flunky) of Juiblex the Faceless Lord.

CEWVicQUMAA4Xqu.jpg

D&D's "Legion of Doom." What a wonderful bunch of malcontents.

delericho

Legend
Great images. And nice to see them try something new (in that it's a big shift in tone). I do hope they get rewarded for this, rather than punished - a WotC that feels comfortable trying experiments is definitely preferable to a WotC that does not.

HobbitFan

Explorer
I like the "dark whimsy" of some of this art.
I don't see how this intersects with the art on the module cover...very different tone.

I guess we wait and see how it turns out in the hardback.

JeffB

Legend
Great images. And nice to see them try something new (in that it's a big shift in tone). I do hope they get rewarded for this, rather than punished - a WotC that feels comfortable trying experiments is definitely preferable to a WotC that does not.

The art reminds me of Urban Arcana, which is a big turn-off for me , BUT, I am with ya on the last sentence.

JohnLynch

Explorer
So how do you think a group (looking to embrace the gonzo aspect) should approach this? With similarly gonzo characters? Or straight laced characters in an alien world?

I'm imagining a drow from a post apocalyptic future whose travelled back in time to save a little girl whose gone down into the Underdark as she'll turn out to be the messiah that saves the world from the golems that will one day gain sentience. Or a Pit Fiend who knows that the demons are up to something and he's here to stop it. Only problem is he's somehow ended up in the body of a gnome (fire themed of course) sorcerer. As he progresses he slowly. Still he's got a whip that he keeps on him at all times. And a human whose from an illithid ruled world. He was bringing supplies when his spaceship crashed.

Or not. What do people think? I don't typically run light hearted campaigns.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So how do you think a group (looking to embrace the gonzo aspect) should approach this? With similarly gonzo characters? Or straight laced characters in an alien world?

It'll be more remarkable if they're normal characters injected into the madness (they are Alice, this is Wonderland). But y'know, if someone decides to play a svirfneblin or a drow or whatever, maybe they're connected.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads