D&D General The Worst Part About Leaving D&D...

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I left rpg.net a long time ago. And reddit is... good to lurk on and search for information or discussions but not for me.

I don't know how people stand Discord as a "message board."
I have to second all of this. Discord is perfect for like up to 25 people. Over that its a craptastic adventure in being annoyed. Reddit is great if you need a quick answer to a question. RPG.net has never been a great place for me. Though, there is quite a bit of discussion there on lots o topics.

4. Finally, think of this as a great opportunity to get to the bottom of burning questions that we all need answered ... you know, like What would a 19 Year Old Junior Duchess who has had a 26 Year old Half-Cousin of non-Noble Birth do if Her Three Large Baronies Did Not Provide for Her Husband's Heirs?
I can't be the only one who thinks WotC is testing AI DMs one post at a time on this forum.

I haven't run D&D for years but still enjoy Enworld.

I predict that if people move to other games, they'll just start talking about other games.

SWADE has fairly robust Reddit and Facebook Group communities. The level is discourse is generally the same as you find here (heavy moderation - which I appreciate!) but they are active and helpful. PEG still maintains there own forums as well at the peginc site.

PF2- Reddit is pretty much the best place I’ve found.

In general I find discord a lousy place to try and have a real discussion.

dave2008

Legend
...is the much decreased level of engagement for other games. There's no place to enjoy as robust, broad based, active and pugnacious conversation about, say, Savage Worlds. There's no SWADE version of ENWorld.

I know that sounds silly, but it is a real thing. This community and the desire to continue to be a part of it has, in the past, kept me playing D&D when I otherwise would have abandoned it. I suppose it is a symptom of a kind of personality disorder that I feel like I NEED that level of interaction, but here we are.

Anyway, just feelinga little melancholy. Feel free to use this thread to discuss your favorite kind of gnome bard.

(The answer is, of course: none.)
There are many people who participate in the D&D forums who are no longer or not currently playing D&D. You can do the same!

Argyle King

Legend
...is the much decreased level of engagement for other games. There's no place to enjoy as robust, broad based, active and pugnacious conversation about, say, Savage Worlds. There's no SWADE version of ENWorld.

I know that sounds silly, but it is a real thing. This community and the desire to continue to be a part of it has, in the past, kept me playing D&D when I otherwise would have abandoned it. I suppose it is a symptom of a kind of personality disorder that I feel like I NEED that level of interaction, but here we are.

Anyway, just feelinga little melancholy. Feel free to use this thread to discuss your favorite kind of gnome bard.

That's something you could have a hand in changing.

Help build the community and conversations you'd like to have around the games you enjoy.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer

This is just my POV so: I left D&D back in 2008. For a long while the Paizo boards were very robust. But if I'm being honest these sort of communities have always been problematic for me. It is a great place for resources and learning about how different people run and play their games. But the edition wars, the arguing over minutia, the toxicity, I don't know. The parts I missed kept me stopping by here even though the last time I ran and played actual D&D was at the tail end of 2008. But for the most part, I've been fine without the worst parts of it and don't miss it at all.
My only real concern as a gamer is to find people who enjoy playing the games I enjoy and are DECENT PEOPLE first, more so than good gamers. I've also grown to realize that the greater community doesn't represent what I enjoy or the way I run and play games and that's fine. It just makes their input and or opinion less valuable to me.

Reynard

Legend
SWADE has fairly robust Reddit and Facebook Group communities. The level is discourse is generally the same as you find here (heavy moderation - which I appreciate!) but they are active and helpful. PEG still maintains there own forums as well at the peginc site.

PF2- Reddit is pretty much the best place I’ve found.

In general I find discord a lousy place to try and have a real discussion.
I like the Official SW FB group (being a cranky old GenXer, FB is my favored -- read: only -- form of social media) but discussions on FB have a really short half life and FB makes it as difficult as possible to navigate discussion threads.

I like the Official SW FB group (being a cranky old GenXer, FB is my favored -- read: only -- form of social media) but discussions on FB have a really short half life and FB makes it as difficult as possible to navigate discussion threads.
I keep a FB account just for access to a couple of rpg groups but have steadily been moving away from it. Reddit is easier to search and keep track of threads so I spend more time there and FB and don’t have to deal with the FB stuff that irritates. I’m a GenXer myself. I hate most of the socials. I keep an instagram for woodworking.

That’s actually one of the better things about Reddit. I can follow multiple hobbies on one place.

Remove ads