D&D 5E Thematic combinations

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Of late I have really enjoyed the idea of single classed characters that invest in their backgrounds with feats.

I am interested to hear what others have put together!

I have a warlock who is a defrocked cleric of sorts.
He has the acolyte background and I am thinking hard about magic initiate: cleric.

I previously played an Eldritch Knight with the sage background (wizard apprentice) with magic initiate: wizard.

I am interested in other thematic synergies others have found. Utility and power are always considerations but am particularly interested in flavor combinations that link background and feats.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I have been toying with a Wizard(Conjuration) with soldier background that has Weapon Master (Glaive, Halberd, Longbow) and then Polearm Master feat. I would play him as the front line battlefield tactician type. Lots of "Form on me." and "Watch the flanks" as he throws out control spells waiting for people to trigger his Opportunity Attacks.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I have been toying with a Wizard(Conjuration) with soldier background that has Weapon Master (Glaive, Halberd, Longbow) and then Polearm Master feat. I would play him as the front line battlefield tactician type. Lots of "Form on me." and "Watch the flanks" as he throws out control spells waiting for people to trigger his Opportunity Attacks.
That would be a fun RP experience for a wizard. I like it. Kind of unexpected and the sort of thing I am interested in.

not a ton of Wizards with pole arms but sure fits the background. Nice.

Jediking

Explorer
One option is to look at what equipment you can use - tool sets, healer's kits, alchemist fire, holy water, caltrops, etc.
Even if you have no healing spells yourself but carry around potions of healing and a healer's kit, you can help support that healing role.

Picking appropriate skills and changing increasing one tertiary ability scores (usually Cha, Dex, or Int as they have the most skills lined with those) will open up more mechanical options that your character can excel at.

For stat arrays: Depending on your preference, lowering your Con score from 12-14 (typical of many players) to 10 or even 8(!) will give you a larger bonus to abilities that may be more defining for your character.

I had played a low-Con Bard in a short adventure in order to increase my Int to be more effective at knowledge checks. It really made me adjust my playing style and had both a roleplaying and mechanical impact (both were positive)

Remove ads