• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Theorized resource progression

Triangleman27

First Post
This is what I'm guessing the power resource count is going to be as you level up. Pardon me if this has already been discussed here.

Numbers are arranged as 'at will/per enc./per day'

Lvl 1: 2/1/1 Feat
2: 2/2/1
3: 2/2/1 Feat
4: 2/2/2
5: 3/2/2
6: 3/2/2 Feat
7: 3/3/2
8: 3/3/3
9: 3/3/3 Feat
10: 4/3/3
11: 4/4/3
12: 4/4/3 Feat
13: 4/4/4
14: 5/4/4
15: 5/4/4 Feat
16: 5/5/4
17: 5/5/5
18: 5/5/5 Feat
19: 6/5/5
20: 6/6/5
21: 6/6/5 Feat
22: 6/6/6
23: 7/6/6
24: 7/6/6 Feat
25: 7/7/6
26: 7/7/7
27: 7/7/7 Feat
28: 8/7/7
29: 8/8/7
30: 8/8/7 Feat

Evenglare

Adventurer
If its anything like starwars there are gonna be a lot more feats. And less autogaining features..such as multiple attacks.

(see starwars saga) Talent, feat, talent ,feat, talent ,feat .. etc etc.

But i do like your progression for powers..

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I think we're more likely to see a feat every odd level or a feat at level one and then one more at every even level.

I also think its possible that there will be fewer powers at high levels than what you have listed, characters might just switch out older powers for new ones.
23 class powers plus equipment powers, racial powers and feats at level 30 seems like a lot to keep track of.

deathdonut

First Post
Designers have continuously mentioned how feats were not common enough in 3.0/3.5.

Since PC's gain bonuses to all their rolls at even levels, I'm pretty sure they will get feats every odd level.

We know at 5th level, a wizard has X/2/2, so you're on target there.

9-swords had Sword Sages having 15 or so per-encounter abilities at level 20, so your progression seems reasonable.

If we go with the feats every odd level counterbalancing the half-level roll bonus, you'd obviously have to rework the progression a bit.

Last edited:

DeusExMachina

First Post
I suspect somewhat less at will powers at higher level. Having 8 different ones of them seems too much, especially since Magic Missile is not going to be very cool anymore at level 25. It'll probably be replaced by a more powerful spell that counts as a basic ranged attack. Probably similar for the warlock...

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I will jump on the bandwagon: more feats.

And fewer powers. At level 20 I would think more like 4/4/3 (this is not including multiclassing, or powers from race, or the "bonus powers" some classes seem to get at level 1). Even with this more conservative approach, you'll probably be using per encounters or dailies in most rounds.

Stalker0

Legend
I think your power progression is backwards. I'll bet money by the later levels players will have a lot more daily and encounter powers than at will ones. Once you have so many encounter powers, there's little need for the at will ones anymore.

keterys

First Post
Well, I posted this elsewhere, but since you asked...

Okay, I won't bet money, but someone asked what they thought the progression of abilities might look like for 4E and this is my stab. If they're into patterns, it feels pretty good and matches what little data points we know.

Basics:
On odd levels (1,3,5,7,9,etc), you'll get a Feat
On even levels (2,4,6,8,10,etc), you'll gain a +1 bonus to most statistics (attacks, skills, defenses)

Powers and Bonus Feats
1 - 2 At-Will, 1 Encounter, 1 Daily
2 - Utility
3 - Encounter
4 - Bonus Feat
5 - Daily
6 - Utility
7 - Encounter
8 - Bonus Feat
9 - Daily
10 - Utility
11 - Paragon Path
12 - Bonus Feat
13 - Encounter
14 - Paragon Path
15 - Daily
16 - Utility
17 - Paragon Path
18 - Bonus Feat
19 - Encounter
20 - Paragon Path
21 - Epic Destiny
22 - Utility
23 - Daily
24 - Bonus Feat
25 - Epic Destiny
26 - Utility
27 - Encounter
28 - Bonus Feat
29 - Daily
30 - Epic Destiny

With a note that utility powers can be either encounter or daily powers depending on their power, and likely most or all utility spots will have the option of either.

I actually feel very good about levels 1 through 16, but I'm a little iffier past that. I'm especially iffy on 20th/21st and the epic destiny spots. It feels good to 'finish' the path/destiny at the end of the level range and to start the new one right away, but it does lead to some real gaps in picking up new powers. I'd not be surprised if those were good levels to swap some of your powers around, and we've already seen that 21st has a big damage boost for at-wills.

I guess there's a decent chance 30th is a Utility, too... or some kind of insane kicker with lots of stuff cause for some reason gaming people like big capstones, but your epic destiny might 'finish' at 31st, when you've retired your character. If it's okay to hold off on getting epic destiny powers until 22nd then 22/26/30 would be pretty solid and let you get in a few more cool encounter and daily powers instead of utility/bonus feats... I really don't like the bonus feat hanging out at 28th instead of a power, though.

Anyhow, was kinda fun to think about. I'm guessing you get 4-5 max encounters and dailies (each), then start to lose old ones to make room for news, but I'm not too worried about the exact number.

keterys

First Post
Oh, and points of data:
Known (although possibly changed since posted):
1 - 2 At-will, 1 encounter, 1 daily
2 - Utility
By 5th, total of 2 encounter and 2 daily
9 - Daily
10 - Utility
11-12 No Power (but could be paragon or feat)
13 - Encounter
14 No Power
15 - Daily
16 - Utility
27 - Encounter

You stop gaining extra powers (ie, not 10 encounter powers at 30th, etc) and start swapping them in for old ones, at some point.

Conjectured:
While not officially announced, supposedly it is confirmed that you only get 2 at-wills.

You can most likely swap around your powers very, very easily via retraining or points during level up.

Wystan

Explorer
I would assume that you would get more actual at will powers and more slots than just 2, but I do not forsee more than 6-7 known and 3-4 slots....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads