There is no wrong way to play, but...

jrowland

First Post

...if you play a published adventure and things never deviate from what's published/intended/scripted, you might want to re-think how you are playing.

Astrosicebear

First Post
Methinks you might be being a bit harsh...

...although now that you mention it, I change every book I read to suit me. And every movie I watch I re-film scenes.

I get your point... but A LOT of DM's ran Tomb of Horrors by the book, time and time again. If they hadn't, and jsut wanted their PCs to get through the story... would it even be as iconic?

Simply, there is no right or wrong way to play the game; the reward is in playing it at all.

Elf Witch

First Post

...if you play a published adventure and things never deviate from what's published/intended/scripted, you might want to re-think how you are playing.

When ever someone says there is no wrong way to play but they are saying you are playing the game wrong.

If people like playing that way who cares as long as they are having fun.

shamsael

First Post

Often enough, the published adventure is BETTER than what a newbie DM can improvise. I would suggest new, or recently reactivated, DMs run published adventures by the book until they have a strong understanding of the edition they're running.

Crothian

First Post
Of course there is a wrong way to play but it is not what you are saying. I run modules all the time and sometimes I run them as is because they either fit perfectly with what I need or they are well written for what they are. This is a very typical troll passive aggressive thread that sadly has been done more then once in the many years of this site.

aramis erak

Legend
Methinks you might be being a bit harsh...

...although now that you mention it, I change every book I read to suit me. And every movie I watch I re-film scenes.

I get your point... but A LOT of DM's ran Tomb of Horrors by the book, time and time again. If they hadn't, and jsut wanted their PCs to get through the story... would it even be as iconic?

Simply, there is no right or wrong way to play the game; the reward is in playing it at all.

There are great fun ways to play that cease being D&D in any meaningful sense, tho'.

Remove ads