• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

There is no wrong way to play, but...

Derren

Hero
The rules don't mandate anything. Oh, maybe they emphasize some level of fantasy, but beyond that D&D, unlike many other systems, is pretty open-ended about what exactly you use those rules to achieve.

No, just no.
D&D is one of the worst toolbox rules set you can find. "Doing something different" with D&D requires big rules rewrites or rules additions, especially if you want to do something else as a (retextured) generic fantasy setting.

No, just no.
D&D is one of the worst toolbox rules set you can find. "Doing something different" with D&D requires big rules rewrites or rules additions, especially if you want to do something else as a (retextured) generic fantasy setting.

Yeah I have seen enough different attempts to use D&D for something that it is unsuitable for to agree with this.

One problem that comes from being the most popular system in the hobby, is that it will get used by more people as some sort of universal system than any other. While not being technically wrong if everyone is having fun, using D&D as an engine for a game unlike D&D isn't likely to provide the best possible experience.

Derren

Hero
I think 5e would make an excellent system for Traveller, actually. Really any form of near - human game should work.

No, not Traveller.

Traveller is a hard(ish) Sci-Fi game and D&D, no matter the edition, does not work for that.
The combat system is geared towards close combat which does not work for a modern or most Sci Fi settings (Warhammer or Star Wars would). The bloated HP pool alone would make the combat really strange as people could charge MG emplacements without receiving much damage. That can only be resolved by either damage bloat or a total HP rebalance. Also, the combat options available to ranged weapons are kinda limited.

Also, SciFi settings require a much more robust skill system. Rolling an attribute without the possibility of a character being learned in something instead of being born good looks really strange in a high tech setting with lots of machinery and other possible skill application where the dungeon crawling style of gaming looks out of place most of the time.

mcbobbo

Explorer
I think bounded accuracy would disagree with the 'not much damage' assessment. You can up the deadlines of firearms in a number of ways, if so inclined.

I also think you can do some interesting things with Expertise and higher DCs.

But to each his own.

aramis erak

Legend
No, not Traveller.

Traveller is a hard(ish) Sci-Fi game and D&D, no matter the edition, does not work for that.
The combat system is geared towards close combat which does not work for a modern or most Sci Fi settings (Warhammer or Star Wars would). The bloated HP pool alone would make the combat really strange as people could charge MG emplacements without receiving much damage. That can only be resolved by either damage bloat or a total HP rebalance. Also, the combat options available to ranged weapons are kinda limited.

Also, SciFi settings require a much more robust skill system. Rolling an attribute without the possibility of a character being learned in something instead of being born good looks really strange in a high tech setting with lots of machinery and other possible skill application where the dungeon crawling style of gaming looks out of place most of the time.

The Hit Point issue was handled pretty well in T20 THB...

T20, the Lifeblood/Stamina mechanic results in armor saving lives, but seldom preventing one-shot stops of young or non-combat types.

(Note: I was one of the THB "lead playtesters", which was Hunter's way of saying "unpaid dev team members".)

Derren

Hero
The Hit Point issue was handled pretty well in T20 THB...

T20, the Lifeblood/Stamina mechanic results in armor saving lives, but seldom preventing one-shot stops of young or non-combat types.

(Note: I was one of the THB "lead playtesters", which was Hunter's way of saying "unpaid dev team members".)

Yes, but as I said that is a total HP (and armor) rebalance. The D&D rules itself do not work very well at all.

Remove ads