D&D Movie/TV There's A New Trailer For D&D: Honor Among Thieves

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

Clint_L

Hero
Except happens in 3570 RPGs each day
It does, but that exact same gag also happens in a zillion movies every year. Particularly Marvel movies, which this thing is so trying to emulate. Not mention:

"I don't want to watch you die"
"So I'm going to look the other way." (or whatever the exact line was)

For me, these come off as lazy writing. As soon as Hugh Grant said the first line, we all knew what was coming. Just like as soon as one character says "Don't do that thing!" we all know what is going to happen.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It does, but that exact same gag also happens in a zillion movies every year. Particularly Marvel movies, which this thing is so trying to emulate. Not mention:

"I don't want to watch you die"
"So I'm going to look the other way." (or whatever the exact line was)

For me, these come off as lazy writing. As soon as Hugh Grant said the first line, we all knew what was coming. Just like as soon as one character says "Don't do that thing!" we all know what is going to happen.
I find a lot of it lives and dies on the delivery. If it feels like a sitcom, its bad, if it feels natural its good. We dont get to see much of the build up or the aftermath of these examples so too soon to tell.

It's a simple line that he sells every bit of.

I like it. Particularly Hugh Grant's line. "I don't want to see you die. Which is why I'm going to leave the room." Not the line as such, but his delivery, in his voice.

I think the trailer looks good. It's wild to hear "Red Wizards" mentioned in a movie trailer.

But I really feel like modern trailers reveal too much. Too often, good lines and reveals get spoiled in the trailer. I'm reminded of the most recent Batman movie with a key moment of the Batmobile chase scene spoiled in it.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I agree that some of the humor felt a bit... lazy.
But it still looks fun.

Is there a way to cross-post or something news like this as forum posts in the Media section? That's were I kinda expected a discussion about the trailer, and I only noticed the news article by accident. (I admit, I haven't been around that much lately and am not really up to speed on how EN World works these days.)

Kinda what I was thinking. Fighter, Barbarian, they still must be able to go toe-to-toe with fire-breating reptiloid beasts 5 times their size. If that doesn't result in physics-defying combat abiliites, I don't know what.
Worked fine in older Eds before everything had to be magical and super heroic.

Remove ads

Remove ads