D&D Movie/TV There's A New Trailer For D&D: Honor Among Thieves

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

I completed a survey about the movie a year or so ago. One of the questions was "how do you feel about a bard who does not cast spells?". Given that another question was "how do you feel about a druid who wildshapes into an owlbear?" I think it gave significant clues!

Personally, I never liked spellcasting bards. I always felt that useless comic relief was the proper role of bard characters.

Wouldn’t a more reasonable interpretation be that he’s a Bard with the Criminal/Street Urchin background?

If the movie comes out and he doesn’t use any magic, I’d be prepared to conclude that he’s a Rogue trained in Performance. Otherwise, saying he’s probably a Rogue because he seems smart seems like a bit of a stretch.

Would not be the first time... Cough Azure Bonds cough...

Azure Bonds was based on AD&D first edition rules, so any bard character would have been a dual classed fighter/thief/druid.

Ok. In the book there is an inside joke, where someone (I think it was the court wizard) mentions: "I though halflings can't become bards" or something along that lines.
I always had the impression that it was early 2e before the bardic handbook, where only humans and half-elves were allowed to become bards.
But of course, since the story took place during or short before the time of troubbles, it was either a 1st edition joke or it was foreshadowing the rules update.

But either way, my point stands.

Ok. In the book there is an inside joke, where someone (I think it was the court wizard) mentions: "I though halflings can't become bards" or something along that lines.
I always had the impression that it was early 2e before the bardic handbook, where only humans and half-elves were allowed to become bards.
But of course, since the story took place during or short before the time of troubbles, it was either a 1st edition joke or it was foreshadowing the rules update.

But either way, my point stands.
The book was published around the time of the 1st to 2nd edition transition, but since it must have been written earlier, one assumes the author was using 1st edition rules. I'm not sure which edition the Gold Box game used. But bards where limited to humans and half elves in both 1st and 2nd edition.

But over the editions, bard spellcasting has steadily increased. A trend I do not like.

The book was published around the time of the 1st to 2nd edition transition, but since it must have been written earlier, one assumes the author was using 1st edition rules. I'm not sure which edition the Gold Box game used. But bards where limited to humans and half elves in both 1st and 2nd edition.

But over the editions, bard spellcasting has steadily increased. A trend I do not like.

The bard spellcasting declined from 2e to 3e by a lot. And 4e has powers for everyone. 5e increased it back to 2e values (and a bit on top).

One coulr make a case to introduce 2/3 casters, which would fit bards and artificers alike. The question is, is it worth it?
I recently looked up the C&C bard which has no spellcasting at all. It is a warrior subtype not unlike the warlord IIRC.

The strength of the bard for me was always: be everything. The core 4e bard had a cool feature that allowed for improved multiclassing. Maybe it is on us to multiclass out to get the "bard" , which fits our imagination. Or create more classes: warlord, skald, ministrel, dilettante which cover all. ;)

My ideal bard would be a warrior/rogue that relies on int as well as charisma and casts a good amount of spells.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I disagree. I don’t need trailers to obfuscate what the movie is about.

I also don’t care about spoilers, so maybe those are connected.

I'm a big fan of some of the Marvel previews that seem like they show a lot, but the order of the clips doesn't really give you more of the story than the brief blurbs about the film does. (It doesn't work as well when there is a main character costume change though).

Remove ads

Remove ads