• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) They butchered the warlock in the new packet

Remathilis

Legend
The warlock’s bread and butter are their cantrips and invocations. Their leveled spells are their big nova option.
If their spells aren't as important, then it doesn't matter if they are being changed to half-caster. You still have your cantrips (more of them, as EB is free and you have the full wizard list now) and you have more invocations now.

Seems they left the important parts intact.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
If their spells aren't as important, then it doesn't matter if they are being changed to half-caster. You still have your cantrips (more of them, as EB is free and you have the full wizard list now) and you have more invocations now.

Seems they left the important parts intact.
The nova was important.

The problem was that there were so few SR classes that you didn't know when you have to nova or needed a utility spell. So most Players hoarded until the DM or Adventure telegraphed when you were supposed to nova or needed utility magic to proceed in that directions.

Remathilis

Legend
If you think pact magic isn’t important then you wouldn’t mind supporting us getting it back when the survey comes out
Not at all. I find having the guaranteed ability to cast more than two spells per day is far more important.

But if you want to split the difference, I'm willing to accept making them a full caster with a slight reduction to invocation power.

What's next?
Channel divinity = spell?
Wild shape = spell?
I'd be completely down for both of those. The Next playtest actually did make Turn Undead a spell, and I loved it! Why have a whole different subsystem when it isn't necessary? But apparently it was too sacred a cow for people to accept making into hamburger.

Wildshape is another obvious choice for a spell, yes.

Remathilis

Legend
The nova was important.

The problem was that there were so few SR classes that you didn't know when you have to nova or needed a utility spell. So most Players hoarded until the DM or Adventure telegraphed when you were supposed to nova or needed utility magic to proceed in that directions.
And that was a problem. You could not guarantee that you would have access to a recharge, to the point that you would only cast a spell if a.) You were sure you could get a rest afterwards or b.) Things were so dire, it was cast or tpk. It was almost always a waste to cast utility magic and much of the warlock's spell list were traps.

Personally, I'd rather sacrifice raw power for versatility. I'd rather know I have eight spell slots than guess if I will get 2, 4, or more. I'd like to know Misty Step is competing with 2nd level effects for a slot, not 4th level effects.

HammerMan

Legend
And that was a problem. You could not guarantee that you would have access to a recharge, to the point that you would only cast a spell if a.) You were sure you could get a rest afterwards or b.) Things were so dire, it was cast or tpk. It was almost always a waste to cast utility magic and much of the warlock's spell list were traps.
I find it so odd this is the experience people had

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

Personally, I'd rather sacrifice raw power for versatility. I'd rather know I have eight spell slots than guess if I will get 2, 4, or more. I'd like to know Misty Step is competing with 2nd level effects for a slot, not 4th level effects.
The point was the design was based on the warlock being about to chuck 1 nova spell every combat. You casted your big spell every fight.

Utility spells was for Tomelock and emergencies.

This nerfs power and turns every Warlock into a 2014 Tomelock. Because for halfcasters, spells not specifically designed for comboing are only good for utility.

HammerMan

Legend
The point was the design was based on the warlock being about to chuck 1 nova spell every combat. You casted your big spell every fight.

Utility spells was for Tomelock and emergencies.

This nerfs power and turns every Warlock into a 2014 Tomelock. Because for halfcasters, spells not specifically designed for comboing are only good for utility.
Yup from “some utility some times but normally a big boom” to “no booms just utility.”

Remove ads